IGNORED

AtariAge Puzzy Fan Club

Mr. Postman

Damn, ok. What if I made you an offer you couldn't refuse? Around the 1200 area? I really need this for my NTSC set. I've not seen it and don't want to miss it.

That's a generous offer, but I still decline.

If you look at my username, I'm a huge fan of Mr. Postman. This is the only official cart with NTSC Mr Postman, also undumped, and I'd like to both display it and use it for twin galaxies. If you'd like to find one of these, maybe search for multi-carts and you possibly may score one in a lot. This includes EVERY released bit corp title sans Snail Against Squirrel in NTSC format, it's super special and so impossible to find it may as well not exist. Thank you kindly for the offer, but once again I'll have to say that I can't go for it. Thanks a bunch.

Sole is off.

post-9638-0-69454500-1499443185_thumb.jpg

post-9638-0-04054200-1499443391_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Postman

• 2 years later...

Well, I’ve been revisiting these old favorites. I’m starting to believe that NTSC was the intended versions. With most official releases being PAL (and about 50% of the protos), Taiwan is an NTSC country. Besides that, the 2 early version protos that have surfaced were NTSC & most Bit mock-up art in manuals and flyers tend to match much more closely to the NTSC releases.

NTSC Mr. Postman is very fast, PAL has a warmer different color scheme but is a hair slower both on speed and audio, and the Taiwan Cooper bootlegs have crazy colors and a slower gameplay speed and audio than even the PAL releases. I’m beginning to believe despite a prominent Primary PAL market that NTSC was the intended experience.  

The manuals and flyers look like the fast paced NTSC releases, & Combine this with the earliest unreleased builds tending to be NTSC I think we can confidently say that these games developed in an NTSC country were originally created for such.

I think that the prevalence of Bit releases in PAL format was just a coincidence that coincides with Bit’s marketing strategy outside of Taiwan that continued until their demise. 

I still need to dump my NTSC official Bit Multi, but the games are very much like the color and speed of the CCE releases (but more consistent, as CCE does have some off colors on occasion). 

I believe the most faithful way to play these games is to play the NTSC Bit Multicarts or the Bootleg CCE carts. The original PAL releases are wonderful, but they’re a tad slower and the colors don’t match up with the flyers and manuals.

Thoughts? :)

85BB4C3F-8BF3-4931-AB19-B3AD4F05F3F5.gif

EA5288E8-7AED-456E-B8A8-5BD9C2EF5BBC.gif

75687184-A834-4404-9B12-D271147AD777.jpeg

99747F7A-8FF0-4CA9-A20E-8CCADC51F399.jpeg

Edited by Mr. Postman

CCE “NTSC” carts are plagued With these middle stages as these non-normal stage colors that are glitchy half yellow/white colors That don’t match the lightning bolts (real versions have the city matching the lightning colors per stage):

CED3C21B-69E8-4021-A728-79086D3DFCD1.jpeg

Pal Versions are

Intro stage with green climbing trunk; Pale Blue, Green & Pink mid stages; Blue gradient Final stage. Slower speed gameplay than NTSC.

True NTSC version is

Intro stage with yellow climbing trunk; Dark Purple, Green & Pink mid stages; Purple gradient Final stage. Faster speed gameplay than PAL.

This major CCE static color glitch for the stages is the real killer that ruins this game for most people that are playing it and not experiencing the true variance of each stage as intended. At least the lightning bolts change color, but the atmosphere is botched.

If you’re playing a lesser version than CCE with no copyright, the odds are the bottom is green on the intro stage with a whiter climing trunk. The speed of gameplay and music is even worse & slower than the 50hz PAL version for some reason so it’s really best to avoid it if at all possible! 

Edited by Mr. Postman

12 hours ago, Mr. Postman said:

Well, I’ve been revisiting these old favorites. I’m starting to believe that NTSC was the intended versions. With most official releases being PAL (and about 50% of the protos), Taiwan is an NTSC country. Besides that, the 2 early version protos that have surfaced were NTSC & most Bit mock-up art in manuals and flyers tend to match much more closely to the NTSC releases.

NTSC Mr. Postman is very fast, PAL has a warmer different color scheme but is a hair slower both on speed and audio, and the Taiwan Cooper bootlegs have crazy colors and a slower gameplay speed and audio than even the PAL releases. I’m beginning to believe despite a prominent Primary PAL market that NTSC was the intended experience.  

The manuals and flyers look like the fast paced NTSC releases, & Combine this with the earliest unreleased builds tending to be NTSC I think we can confidently say that these games developed in an NTSC country were originally created for such.

I think that the prevalence of Bit releases in PAL format was just a coincidence that coincides with Bit’s marketing strategy outside of Taiwan that continued until their demise. 

I still need to dump my NTSC official Bit Multi, but the games are very much like the color and speed of the CCE releases (but more consistent, as CCE does have some off colors on occasion). 

I believe the most faithful way to play these games is to play the NTSC Bit Multicarts or the Bootleg CCE carts. The original PAL releases are wonderful, but they’re a tad slower and the colors don’t match up with the flyers and manuals.

Thoughts? :)

85BB4C3F-8BF3-4931-AB19-B3AD4F05F3F5.gif

EA5288E8-7AED-456E-B8A8-5BD9C2EF5BBC.gif

75687184-A834-4404-9B12-D271147AD777.jpeg

99747F7A-8FF0-4CA9-A20E-8CCADC51F399.jpeg

Were any of the Colecovision games released and if not have any turned up as prototypes?

1 hour ago, Foxsolo2000 said:

Were any of the Colecovision games released and if not have any turned up as prototypes?

All 4 games were released. Bit Corp branded Colecovision games with colorful box art seem as rare as hens teeth, probably released alongside the equally rare Bit 90 computer. The games were also rereleased years later by Telegames, as The Telegames Personal Arcade system was made by Bit Corp. I’m far from an expert on Coleco, so I welcome anyone to chime in. 

Also be vary wary of counterfeits, I’ve seen reproductions being passed off as originals on more than one occasion. If it’s boxed & doesn’t look vintage and it’s in mint condition, it probably isn’t real.

7 hours ago, Mr. Postman said:

All 4 games were released. Bit Corp branded Colecovision games with colorful box art seem as rare as hens teeth, probably released alongside the equally rare Bit 90 computer. The games were also rereleased years later by Telegames, as The Telegames Personal Arcade system was made by Bit Corp. I’m far from an expert on Coleco, so I welcome anyone to chime in. 

Also be vary wary of counterfeits, I’ve seen reproductions being passed off as originals on more than one occasion. If it’s boxed & doesn’t look vintage and it’s in mint condition, it probably isn’t real.

Thank you for the information. Must confess I have never seen them which was why I asked but I will do some further looking around.  Thank you again.

@Mr. Postman -- just letting you know that I dumped the Bit Corp 8-in-1 NTSC cart earlier this year, as well as the R320 32-in-1 Bit Corp pack-in cart (included with their Creator 30 console). Further on in the same thread I started a small which-came-first-NTSC-or-PAL discussion about the 8-in-1, where I leaned toward PAL being the originally intended format, but honestly I like your assessment just as much, especially given that Taiwan uses the NTSC broadcast standard. I think the book remains open on this, but your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.?

In case anyone is looking for an 8-in-1 cart, I now have an extra to sell or trade. PM me if interested.

• Thanks 1