IGNORED

Battlesphere gold up for sale again.

MAYAman

Theres another one now eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1109317082651?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110931708265&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] yours for the low price of 999.99. You would think they could afford free shipping at least sheesh

For those keeping track, it looks like this one went for the price of $950. He came down $50! I will never own this game.

Edited by atariLBC

I could buy one for that price BUT that doesn't mean I would. The opprtunity cost is too high for me. 1000 bucks will buy alot of other games for alot of other systems and principle alone makes it hard to pay that much for any one single video game that I know will end up sitting with the others on the shelf and get pulled out from time to time.

Every system has it's rarities, even the 2600 has extremely high cost rares that most of us wouldn't buy. In the case of Battlesphere, at least you know you're getting a highly playable and well crafted game. What constitutes too much to spend is an entirely subjective opinion.

Every system has it's rarities

The thing is it's not really that rare at all, is it? There's a kind of scarcity due to (if we're to believe what we're told) a few people sitting on stacks of them, hoovering up copies & bidding the prices up on eBay and a very slow trickle feed of new ones from under Douggy's bed every year.

It's quite annoying when eBay sellers put rubbish like "the rarest game on Jaguar" in their listings, but that's just eBay sellers for you.Still, it's utter nonsense, there's plenty of other after market games with much smaller release numbers that BS/G.

• Like 6

As long as sellers will find guys ready to spend as much money for this game as for a good brand new computer, the vicious circle will continue.

Now I see that several crazy auctions for that game failed on eBay recently: could possibly announced that the speculative bubble is close to plop?

Edited by Felyx

• 1 year later...

You're not missing out on much. It's almost more self-fellating tech demo than game.

While harsh, I would agree, Battlesphere is not worth a thousand dollars, even for charity, and especially in 2014. It's pretty neat for what it is, but if it were an amazing game, wouldn't we have seen a retro remake of it by now?

You're not missing out on much. It's almost more self-fellating tech demo than game.

Hmm. I have to disagree with that. I really enjoy 8-bit Star Raiders, and I think a fair description is that BS is an updated 3D version of the same. If you enjoy Star Raiders you'll enjoy BS.

Is it worth hundreds of dollars, though? Depends on the gamer, but if you just want to play the game, try Star Raiders. I bought mine for $300 years ago, and I can't say that was a wise investment of money.

Don't confuse the game with the developers. It's quite possible to enjoy the game and still have a less than positive opinion of the folks who created it.

Edited by ls650

The thing with that game is that after all those years anticipating it (which was really interesting by the way) and so on and the arguments with the devs it has its history against it. Because it got this holy grail/hate/ nevergonnaseeit thing against it.

If it would have been released as a regular game back in the day, it would stand out as one of the solid games for the system and would be part of the regular my type/not my type conversations.

I had much fun with some of the modes, I did like the Alone against the empire mode and sometimes had a bit of a Star Wars feeling when I commanded my wingmen to do stuff and would see them fighting the enemy fighters. And I did like Gauntlet although usually I don't enjoy "protection" missions but I wanted to see what comes next and I think they got a good balance to throw something unusal into the mix so the fighter,bomber, superfighter, baseship thing does not get repettitive having to use different tactics. (sharks, UFOs, bees whatever)

So there ist fun to have with it and it has also somewhat of a learning curve, I think it is not for just 5 minutes blasting away. Last time I played it, I did not have the patience for several waves but still calling it just a tech demo is maybe a bit too harsh. ;-)

Aside from that I enjoyed the link up at Jagfests.Can't remember how many we were...8 maybe 10? Nice to have one better game to allow this:-)

From time to time I think about selling mine when times are desperate (coming up again now) but then I still have a warm spot for it and hold onto it even if only for Jagfests. ;-)

• Like 2

Pardon my ignorance, but seeing this in the BattleSphere FAQ:

Q. Why doesn't ScatoLOGIC sell the rights to produce BattleSphere to Telegames or Songbird?
A. Simple. To persuade Hasbro to release the Jaguar into the public domain, 4Play offered that all profits from the game would be donated to charity. Because of this agreement, any company selling BattleSphere must also give their profits to charity. No 3rd party producers seem charitable enough to accept this agreement and produce BattleSphere.
Additionally, there are a number of strict quality issues which no other producer seems willing to meet. (Full-color decals applied properly aligned, Cardboard box inserts, Gold cartridge contacts, etc.)
Made me wonder if it would be possible to Kickstart a non-profit venture?
This would obviously be a complex endeavor but I'm wondering if there has ever been any discussion to its merits.

No dont think about that crap.

why mess with the huge profit I can get with my copy of BSG.

How about we put all our efforts and money into a new Jaguar space shooter that will be way better than BS and make it affordable to all. Hell can even be in the AA store. I know things have come a long way since then with new boards a sound engine.

THINK ABOUT IT.

I for one will help with any artwork in game or box wise. All hell Ill say sound fx, music, voice too.

Hows that for a start.

heh, lot of old threads being revived lately :P

anyway keep rearranging my game setup (hopefully for the last time this time!) and finally got my jaguar connected again. have been playing battlesphere a little bit lately and I think I like it a little more now than I did years ago when I had all bullshit and insane expectations that was associated with it fresh in my mind.

there are definitely a few things here an there I'd like to change but I think battlesphere mostly gets things right and I've found it's become the space shooter I return to the most. Maybe just because its easy to jump into any mode and get started whether its been a day or a year since last playing.

As for what the game is worth, I think at first since the proceeds went to the ADA it wasn't really a tough pill to swallow especially considering you were getting something nice for your donation (and as it turns out, worth more than what you "donated for it".

In terms of what games are worth, such as Darxide on the 32X or Battlesphere on the Jaguar (or neo geo games), that's always going to be subjective. Good news is if you don't think it's worth it, you don't have to buy it ;) I've never felt bad about avoiding the neo geo scene. I've paid over $1K for a game because it was for a platform i was interested in and one of the few good games for it that sold that high, but it definitely wouldn't be my hobby if all games cost $1k.

No dont think about that crap.

why mess with the huge profit I can get with my copy of BSG.

How about we put all our efforts and money into a new Jaguar space shooter that will be way better than BS and make it affordable to all. Hell can even be in the AA store. I know things have come a long way since then with new boards a sound engine.

THINK ABOUT IT.

I for one will help with any artwork in game or box wise. All hell Ill say sound fx, music, voice too.

Hows that for a start.

Maybe this is why GroovyBee is allegedly porting ST Star Raiders to the Jaguar.

The Battlesphere FAQ should be updated for new reasons why it hasn't been sold to some other party since Hasbro did end up releasing Jaguar development out into the wild regardless of whether it was due to the efforts of the Battlesphere team [or not, most likely] and the fact that it's been 14 years since Hasbro sold "Atari" to Infogrames.

I did; I didn't find anything. I tried such approaches as battlesphere crowdfund, battlesphere kickstarter, battlesphere faq, and a line from my citation - and I didn't find such a discussion. But I thought I might have missed something.

Perhaps there is a thread I overlooked that you could point me to? In the decade before crowdfunding was easy and popular, and immediately after Battlesphere was released, any number of keywords could have been used to propose a similar idea.

Searched for locked threads. They'll mostly be about this.

There was even a locked forum about this, too...

Yeah, everything I've read in the forum's history centers around piracy and the prices.

I haven't seen any interest in a community-driven, legal, and ordained solution to the laughable scarcity of the carts.

I must have missed that thread. Thanks anyway.