IGNORED

Battlesphere gold up for sale again.

MAYAman

Over the last week or two eBay Jag prices have been going even more nuts than usual. Exhibit A: someone sold a reasonably priced Flashback cart yesterday, then a better condition example went for ~$100 US last night...now there's a bunch on there with even more inflated prices. Another example is one particular seller, for whatever reason, has gotten ridiculous prices for some of his games (Rayman springs to mind) and now the rest of his auctions seem to be fetching much higher prices than usual. I'm kicking myself for not getting that last pro-controller from the goat store, because they are now going for even stupider prices than before.

It really is a sad state of affairs, and for someone who 'collects' as wells as plays the games (wow, what a concept!), trying to get those last few 'original' (and relatively common) games is becoming cost prohibitive. I would hope an SD card solution would help sort the market out and get rid of speculators and / or idiots who are paying these prices.

• Like 3

The BS gold is going for $2300 BIN because ... it has the BJL connector and a clear case? Never mind you could get four secondhand skunkboards for that price.

BTW both ROM variants have been out there for a long time, but neither is playable on any current jag device or homebrew solution, unless someone's holding out.

Certainly it was the case custom protection was baked into all Skunkboard firmware to prevent it from at least loading it, and as I understand it there is also some logic in the game to prevent it working anywhere other than a cart (though the truth behind that, and how effective a protection like that might be, I dunno).

It really is a sad state of affairs, and for someone who 'collects' as wells as plays the games (wow, what a concept!), trying to get those last few 'original' (and relatively common) games is becoming cost prohibitive. I would hope an SD card solution would help sort the market out and get rid of speculators and / or idiots who are paying these prices.

Anybody who 'collects' (like you or me) is still going to want the originals, and in the end it'll be up to supply and demand to dictate the price.

Personally I think if enough people use a flash option to check out games and then buy the best ones, you may see more people going after originals of the better ones. Considering the Jaguar gets a pretty bad rap by the general gaming community I think an SD option is more likely to turn unfavorable opinions favorable than favorable opinions unfavorable. I wonder how many people actually begrudgingly collect originals right now, ready to dump their collection as soon as a flash solution drops?

The BS gold is going for $2300 BIN because ... it has the BJL connector and a clear case? Never mind you could get four secondhand skunkboards for that price.

BTW both ROM variants have been out there for a long time, but neither is playable on any current jag device or homebrew solution...

That doesn't mean it will sell, although it wouldn't surprise me if it did :P Retro gaming prices in general are going up, it's just prices responding to the popularity of the hobby (and some might say kids who grew up with the games now having more money to buy them). You can find plenty of examples of games that used to sell for $10-$20 that are now climbing to pretty absurd prices, some extreme ones off the top of my head:

Keio Flying Squadron ($893)

Crusader of the Centy ($909)

Clay Fighter Sculpters Cut - $1,162 for just the manual

Donkey Kong Competition Cart (2,826.30)

These games can easily be played on flash carts / are commonly repro'd / can be burnd to disc.

In the case of Battlesphere I think it's unfortunate that the original authors won't produce more or allow a 3rd party to do it for the benefit of charity. I remember Jason Smith offered to do it and was turned down, and he was pretty good friends with the devs.

Edited by Willard

Anyone willing to pay $$$ will still do do. SD card will help game players. It won'the eliminate collectors who are willing to pay.

Emulation has been around for 2 decades and it hasn't put a dent in cartridge prices (for all systems). I wouldn't put all your hope that an SD card option will magically make Jag carts dirt cheap. It's not something easily explained other than a quirk of human nature, that having the real thing is part of the fun. Some people don't like that explanation, and can't logically understand it, but to me that's the obvious answer to explain high game prices on classic systems when there are easy and free alternatives to 'just play the games'.

• Like 1

Seeing how nuts Jag games have gotten sometimes tempts me to put my copy of Mad Bodies up on ebay. Haven't seen one up there in a while.

Don't need the money, and don't really want to get rid of it, but it's hard explaining to the wife "If I die before you, do NOT put any of these in a yard sale..." ;-)

Seeing how nuts Jag games have gotten sometimes tempts me to put my copy of Mad Bodies up on ebay. Haven't seen one up there in a while.

$2.2k for a copy of Battlesphere (with dire warnings involving the persecution of "low bidders") based on a $1500 successful auction for a standard edition - is over four times the already ridiculous price I paid for my BSG years ago. It really makes me want to sell most of my rare/limited stuff now including BSG.

At this point I could probably live with just a Jag, a skunkboard and a handful of carts for the rest of my days (and focus on my beloved C-64 :-)

• Like 1

Anyone willing to pay $$$ will still do do. SD card will help game players. It won'the eliminate collectors who are willing to pay.

Well, at least with the SD Card, interested players will finally have the chance to play the game on real hardware, leaving collectors and speculators to bid themselves into a frenzy over the physical real copies.

I find all of these prices to be obscene. I'd also much rather see someone do a new run on Catboxes so I never have to hear about Scatboxes again.

• Like 2

Well, at least with the SD Card, interested players will finally have the chance to play the game on real hardware, leaving collectors and speculators to bid themselves into a frenzy over the physical real copies.

Exactly. Not once did I suggest an SD card solution would make Jaguar prices 'dirt cheap' (that time is long gone unfortunately, although I do see prices falling back to a more reasonable and realistic level in due course). What it *might* do is get rid of people who'd pay $300 just to try an otherwise relatively 'common' game (e.g. Rayman or Flashback) because they feel safe in the knowledge they'll be able to break even or make money on it on eBay.

$400-$800 for Battlsphere, fair enough if that floats your boat, it's relative rarity makes those prices fair. $1500 - $2000+ is, as Lynxpro said, obscene. Flashback for ~$100, Rayman for $200+ are just stupid prices. You can see the hawks circling on eBay...as soon as one single game goes for a slightly inflated price, half a dozen more will appear. As someone who has 60 or 70 odd Jag games (including Battlesphere which cost me $100 new ;) ) I'm patient and will happily ride out this current wave of interest...all the while sourcing product from more reasonably priced sources.

• Like 2

$400-$800 for Battlsphere, fair enough if that floats your boat, it's relative rarity makes those prices fair. $1500 - $2000+ is, as Lynxpro said, obscene.

Fairness is in the eye of the beholder. No one beyond the several hundred or so AtariAge jag diehards would find 400 reasonable for a video game. And if one really thinks about it, the $$$ is for collecting a box and manual. Then there is the real possibility the ones selling now are repros. A home made BSG cart could be made now that is 100% identical to the original home made cart.

Everdrives are great. Games on original hardware without the need for $$$ collecting of boxes / manuals. If you hold the controller and just look at the screen, it is the same experience as the original cart.

I think makers who release cart and roms simultaneously are great. I support the game with $ for the rom while not getting on the collecting bandwagon. And it is a collecting bandwagon. Just visit the Inty forum and order your boxed copy of Flappy Bird and Pong. Or read the thread where a person releasing a cart only is told they are lazy for not including a box and manual. No interest in the game. Just collecting.

• Like 2

I made my limit at ~100US$ shipped :) old, new, homebrew etc.... and even that is a stretch .... more like 50/60US$ is where I stand.

I recently picked up a loose Rayman for 64US$ shipped .... reasonable ..... only Atari Karts (75US$ shipped) costed me more.

I really only want to see it as I didn't enjoy the Saturn version all that much back in the day, we'll see.

Regarding SD card flashcart .... it's so long overdue and it will drive those kevincal kind of guys out of the market.

Regarding BSG .... nothing to add here, too expensive, only reason is obviously rarity, not sure I'd even enjoy the game itself, at these prices it makes it a non starter for me .... and that's a good thing!!!

I just checked the weight of a Genesis cart and box (online), it's about 6 ounces. Let's round it down to 5 ounces for a Jag cart and box (because 5 is easier) though I'm sure some of those games with detailed multilingual manuals would weigh more.

5 ounces of gold is worth about $6421.5 USD. So nah, not worth it's weight in gold.

(Can you tell I should be working or studying but am instead drinking a glass of wine? ;P )

• Like 5