IGNORED

How rare are the asterisk serial numbers?

Wookie

• 3 weeks later...

so just clarify this with me.... if you have a 4 port model, and it has a power supply hookup in the back, then its one of the asterix versions?

and just as a side note, i recently did one of those RCA video output mods to it.... not sure if that really effects the value, but it doent matter much to me since it looks and sounds sooooo damn good!

Edited by ArcadeJunkie

so just clarify this with me.... if you have a 4 port model, and it has a power supply hookup in the back, then its one of the asterix versions?

and just as a side note, i recently did one of those RCA video output mods to it.... not sure if that really effects the value, but it doent matter much to me since it looks and sounds sooooo damn good!

As far as I know, the asterisk models were 'fixed' 4 port versions, modified so that you could use the 2600 adapter to play 2600 games. Without the fix it would apparently fry the adapter.

As far as I know, the asterisk models were 'fixed' 4 port versions, modified so that you could use the 2600 adapter to play 2600 games. Without the fix it would apparently fry the adapter.

thanks for getting back to me.... i def dont want to fry my system!

so then what is the difference between the models that use the switcher for power hookup and the ones that have a power adapter in the back of the actual unit? I just heard that older 5200s dont have a power hookup on the unit itself.....

I bet there are plenty of experts that can list all the differences- the ones I know are:

4 ports instead of 2

4 port model needs fix to use 2600 adapter

(* models, plus you can DIY)

4 port model plays all 5200 games (I understand that the 2 port models won't play a few fames)

4 port model has power combined into the RF switch- there's no power connector on the 5200 itself.

That's all I know for sure. If anyone can add to this info, or correct any mistakes, please feel free to do so. I'm pretty new to the 5200, but I've already repaired 3 of them, including one 2 port model.

Edited by TheRealAnubis

thanks for the clarification :D

The only reason I ask is that ive heard on the 4 port models, there are only a few of them which actually have a power connector on the unit itself.... i own a 4 port one that has power on the back, so I can play it without the switch box.... but mine doesnt have an asterix, so i was just curious as to what "version" mine is.... plus, the power connector i got with it has dual cords on the same side of the transformer box, not the "through the box" cord style.... visually, my power cord looks like this ==[] not this --[]-- if that makes any sense.....

Im just trying to identify what kind of system i have.... any thoughts?

thanks for the clarification :D

The only reason I ask is that ive heard on the 4 port models, there are only a few of them which actually have a power connector on the unit itself.... i own a 4 port one that has power on the back, so I can play it without the switch box.... but mine doesnt have an asterix, so i was just curious as to what "version" mine is.... plus, the power connector i got with it has dual cords on the same side of the transformer box, not the "through the box" cord style.... visually, my power cord looks like this ==[] not this --[]-- if that makes any sense.....

Im just trying to identify what kind of system i have.... any thoughts?

I'm not sure Atari even did the power modification to the 4 port. It is probably done by a previous owner? That doesn't mean it works with the VCS adapter of course. Have you tried one?

There are many different style power adapters for the 5200. I have heard that there was an A8 disk drive called the Indus GT that initially came with a genuine Atari 5200 power supply.

I'm not sure Atari even did the power modification to the 4 port. It is probably done by a previous owner? That doesn't mean it works with the VCS adapter of course. Have you tried one?

There are many different style power adapters for the 5200. I have heard that there was an A8 disk drive called the Indus GT that initially came with a genuine Atari 5200 power supply.

I havent tried the VCS adapter yet.... i dont actually have one yet, and if I did i would be a little worried about frying the system....

the mod was def not done by someone (unless they have their own injection molding kit)... its clearly a factory version... even has a little square shape next to it that is formed into the plastic.... its to the left of the channel switch when looking at it head-on... also, there is a cutout on the other side of the rear that looks like it was meant for an expansion slot or something.... and the board has a connection area there....

serial number is: A14162161786 if that helps at all... it also says "Atari Corp." instead of "Atari, inc" on the sticker

**UPDATE: nevermind..... http://atariage.com/forums/topic/176462-4-port-system-that-uses-regular-switchbox/

Edited by ArcadeJunkie
  • Like 1

I havent tried the VCS adapter yet.... i dont actually have one yet, and if I did i would be a little worried about frying the system....

the mod was def not done by someone (unless they have their own injection molding kit)... its clearly a factory version... even has a little square shape next to it that is formed into the plastic.... its to the left of the channel switch when looking at it head-on... also, there is a cutout on the other side of the rear that looks like it was meant for an expansion slot or something.... and the board has a connection area there....

serial number is: A14162161786 if that helps at all... it also says "Atari Corp." instead of "Atari, inc" on the sticker

**UPDATE: nevermind..... http://atariage.com/forums/topic/176462-4-port-system-that-uses-regular-switchbox/

Nice. So they did rework old stock. Very cool. I'd be interested to know if the VCS adapter works in them. I did that mod to one of my 4 ports and it is not easy and simple like the power mod.

Nice. So they did rework old stock. Very cool. I'd be interested to know if the VCS adapter works in them. I did that mod to one of my 4 ports and it is not easy and simple like the power mod.

yes, i would love to know if the vcs works on it.... but im really afraid of doing any damage to my system.... im glad I did the AV mod, but when it comes to a VCS, i think ill just stick to my JR or my 7800 ;-)

• 9 years later...
On 7/10/2012 at 3:41 PM, Wookie said:

I was reading the wikipedia page about the Atari 5200 and they mention that there are some four-port systems that had the modifications found in the later two-port model that allows 2600 backwards compatibility. The wiki page says that those systems have an asterisk in the serial number.

I noticed that digitpress.com's online rarity guide doesn't have a separate entry for the asterisk four-port model. So how rare are the asterisk models? How "limited" was the number of consoles produced?

Does anybody here have one in their posession? Can somebody post a pic of the serial number sticker so that I know what I'm looking for when scrounging for one?

-wookie

On 7/10/2012 at 6:37 PM, boxpressed said:

I think they're pretty rare. I was reading somewhere on Best Electronics' site that 99.5% of 4-port models do not have the asterisk. I may be wrong on the percentage; I can't recall exactly.

On 7/12/2012 at 11:14 AM, peedenmark7 said:

I inquire about every 4 port that pops up on ebay. I have found none not listed as such.

Back in the day, my brothers 5200 had the *. His wife made him throw it away when they got married.

I recently found one but it does not work. When I find the time, I will fix and begin using it.

On 7/12/2012 at 6:16 PM, walter_J64bit said:

I've only seen one in the wide, I didn't have the money to get at the time, that was like 5 years ago.

I ended up with one of the 4 port models with the asterisk by dumb luck.  When I bought the console I didn't know it has a special power configuration combined the power into the RF switch box and planned to just us a 2 port power supply as I thought all 5200 consoles used the same one.  After I got it learned that the 4 port didn't have a power jack.  I decided to get it modded since that RF power box is deathtrap.  I sent it off to @-^CrossBow^- and he explained to me that the serial number on my console has an asterisk in that it can use the Atari 2600 VCS adapter as well as well as play Pitfall, Mountain King and K-Razy Shootout which would not be possible with the the earlier 4 port units without the asterisk since those unit had an older board with a different BIOS that was not compatible to those.  This is pretty luck for dumb blind luck.  I just check over all the 4 port listing on eBay tonight and didn't found possibly 2 of them them with an asterisk in the serial number.

This one is is $70.  Has a bit of case damage and not tested.  Also, untested and no power supply

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175422657271

Then there is one for $309 that I cannot make out if there is an asterisk on serial number because the picture is very blurry but it looks to me like it has one in it  This console that has the power jack mod as well as AV mod.  Over the console is in very good condition come with one controller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175666751298

Edited by Tidus79001