IGNORED

Rare Superman Cart - Up For Private Sale

memugking

Well certainly for serious collectors it's not about the game quality but the rarity. The library of some of the rarest and highly sought after games contain many bad to crappy titles lol.

Bad game, good game, doesn't matter, it's all about the rarity and bragging right.

I think most "serious" collectors could care less about this. I'd much rather have a mint in box copy of the game than this variant.

• Like 1

Well certainly for serious collectors it's not about the game quality but the rarity. The library of some of the rarest and highly sought after games contain many bad to crappy titles lol.

Bad game, good game, doesn't matter, it's all about the rarity and bragging right.

I think most "serious" collectors could care less about this. I'd much rather have a mint in box copy of the game than this variant.

What you would rather have is no more or less relevant then anyone else, a collector with different goals or the goals I mentioned may consider himself just as "serious" a collector as yourself, there is no set rules to collecting, it's personal choice.

Congrats on the sale :) . I remember one coming up for auction on eBay when I was in college (this was...2003, I think? maybe '04?)...it sold for $700-something back then, but I think it was either the first one discovered or one of only a couple at that time.

There was another one that came up in '07 or '08 (memory is a little fuzzy). I only knew because my Ebay search for 'Sears' and 'Superman' had alerted me via email. I never knew about it either and thought it was a bit strange that a Superman cart had multiple bids, and I *believe* was around $150. Needless to say, I passed because it was sans a box - ugh!

I still wonder if it's more rare than a "boxed" Cannon Man?

I have every sears text label an every picture label but this one. If I could afford it and fill my spot on my wall, I would do it in a second. I can understand those who think this is crazy, but the ongoing hunt at tag sales, flea markets, thrift stores is really fun to me. If i ever found it, I would keep the hell out of that one.

so.....anyone got a scan of the box???? just saying....how easy would it be to photoshop a sears picture label (not saying this is one) and then put a couple out in the wild .....? if there is no box...does someone have proof that sears made a superman?????

What you would rather have is no more or less relevant then anyone else, a collector with different goals or the goals I mentioned may consider himself just as "serious" a collector as yourself, there is no set rules to collecting, it's personal choice.

That's my point. You implied with your statement that to be a "serious" collector, whatever that is, you have to seek out rare games rather than quality titles. I know plenty of serious collectors who only collect quality and could care less about variants or rarity. Personally, this variant has no value to me because I don't collect variants. To some it obviously has value and if it's worth $500 or more to them, more power to them.

• Like 1

That's my point. You implied with your statement that to be a "serious" collector, whatever that is, you have to seek out rare games rather than quality titles. I know plenty of serious collectors who only collect quality and could care less about variants or rarity. Personally, this variant has no value to me because I don't collect variants. To some it obviously has value and if it's worth $500 or more to them, more power to them.

Ah gotcha, I misunderstood, then we can agree to agree then.

• 2 weeks later...

Sale Update:

The Superman game sold for $1200. I believe the person who offered the highest amount is a "serious" collector. Ergo, finding itself in the best possible home.

The pictures I posted are most definitely not "shopped". Kinda hard to do when they're on your rec-room desk or kitchen table & you got a 7 month old baby nearby to watch.

I really did get this at a local pawn shop for free. I came to you all for help & to check value.

Thanks again for the assistance. Hopefully hearing from the horse's mouth will set the record straight & give some guidance should another Sears Superman pop up someplace else.

Guaranteed I'm on the snipe hunt!

Congrats to the seller on a major payday on this! Very nice score!

I have to say that the Sears Superman pic label is my holy grail cart. For whatever reason, I really like the Sears stuff. Given a choice I would take this over an Atlantis II or Air Raid any day of the week. All that being said, there's no way I'd ever consider spending $1200 for this. I'll give props to the seller, but personally question the sanity of the buyer.

(and yes, I do realize what I am saying here. I don't consider Atlantis II or Air Raid worth $1200 either. Personal opinion only and one obviously not shared by some).

so.....anyone got a scan of the box???? just saying....how easy would it be to photoshop a sears picture label (not saying this is one) and then put a couple out in the wild .....? if there is no box...does someone have proof that sears made a superman?????

Yeah, there is a sears box for it. It was blue IIRC and the Atari one is Red :)

Thanks for letting us know what it sold for. Very few of this cart have been found. 4-5 so far? And i might be wrong but the pic cart and text cart have same dept number on them so the box should be the same? However no one has found pic cart in a box and all the manuals i have seen have been the same also. So really can anyone for sure say it was even a normal release?by the way I did not buy this cart out of my price range for variation.

And preservation. One of the reasons I value a rare game or label variation is because I don't want them in landfills. I think of them as endangered species.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...