IGNORED

Get Lost!

Propane13

So I decided to try the aforementioned November 2, 2012 build next. Started playing for a couple of minutes, then left the game standing for about 20 minutes, played for a couple of more minutes, and then left standing. At 0:32:14 the game evidently froze. No response from any input and a hard lock of the console under MAME:

Oh wow. This is the first ever freeze that has happened in emulation. So, even though it might be rare, it IS possible to reproduce at least one of the problems. With the fact that RevEng's test worked fine after leaving it overnight, it just shows how rare the issue can be.

I think I'm going to have to download a version of MacMame and see if I can reproduce what you have. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what the debugging capabilities are, so I'm going to have to dive in and learn what's new. Maybe I'll have time to give this a shot this weekend.

Thanks again for your help-- I may have a path here, which would be a good thing.

-John

• Like 2

Oh wow. This is the first ever freeze that has happened in emulation. So, even though it might be rare, it IS possible to reproduce at least one of the problems. With the fact that RevEng's test worked fine after leaving it overnight, it just shows how rare the issue can be.

Just to clarify - RevEng experienced no freeze with the February 2, 2013 build. I experienced no freeze with the January 27, 2013 build.
I did experience a freeze with the November 2, 2012 build.
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Hey John...

Saw your post in the XM thread and still really looking forward to see this one completed. :)

Respecting the aforementioned freeze issue, it seems builds prior to January 27, 2013 (I.E. November 2, 2012) is when freezing was last experienced.

Regarding both the January 27 and the February 2, 2013 builds, freezing appears to never have been encountered per the testing performed by RevEng and me. It may actually be something that has already been rectified and one less hurdle to overcome. ;)

• Like 1

This game is amazing and I have tried it in emulator years ago and played very well.

Can you imagine a cool pokey soundtrack in the background and a bit more sound effects? or not..whatever way it is still great and when you have time to get back to it your 7800 coding skills are appreciated!! :)

There is a member that I am assuming could do music for your game . I think his name is Synthpopalooza . A really nice pokey track similiar to Pitfall 2 would be very cool . I loved your game propane and was just talking to a friend about it today since we were playing pitfall 2 . I still have your game on cart and remember playing it and it would freeze up . Would love to see that darn bug figured out !

There is a member that I am assuming could do music for your game . I think his name is Synthpopalooza . A really nice pokey track similiar to Pitfall 2 would be very cool . I loved your game propane and was just talking to a friend about it today since we were playing pitfall 2 . I still have your game on cart and remember playing it and it would freeze up . Would love to see that darn bug figured out !

The freeze up was mentioned back on January 20, 2013 and then another on January 26, 2013 was encountered. Discussion spilled into January 27, during the morning.

That afternoon on January 27, a build was posted with no freeze-up mentioned after it. Then a February 2, 2013 build, again no freezes were flagged by anyone with that build posted as well.

RevEng and I did some pretty extensive testing with both the January 27 and February 3 builds, relatively recently on real HW as well as under emulation, with no freezes encountered. Certainly, more testing would be greatly appreciated though. :)

Hey folks!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Since I've been out of the loop for awhile, does anyone know any good tools for programming POKEY music? That would probably be the next order of business.

-John

Eckhard Stolberg's RMT POKEY Player and MobiusAqua's Prickle POKEY Utility may be helpful.

Synthpopalooza's POKEY Note table is posted under 7800.8bitdev.org.

Or it could be kept simpler with just TIA, applying The Perceptual Tuning Primer. ;)

• Like 3

I will check with a friend and see if he feels like burning the newest build onto cart for me so I can test it out .

If you can, I'd say wait a little bit. I'm going to try to slowly get back into this. It might be a couple of months, but I'll try to have a minor build out.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just experienced a freeze with the red-brown vertical bars at either side of the screen using the 2 Feb 2013 build. I was using MAME 0175b. This is the first time I've experienced it with an emulator, but then again, it's the first time I've played it for any length using MAME. I was 43:17 into the game with 26 loot collected, had already visited the secret area, and had made my way back to the starting screen. For the most part, I was actively playing rather than letting it sit, but I did pause several times for quite a while.

Still love this game and hope to see it completed. :)

• Like 6

Just experienced a freeze with the red-brown vertical bars at either side of the screen using the 2 Feb 2013 build.

IMO the first suspect would be this bug. If not, getting a build without it would also help track down the real culprit.

John, I'd be glad to help track down the issue, or provide a second set of eyes on the source. Either way, I'd love for this very unique game to be completed! :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Hey, thanks everyone. Been off the grid for a bit.

Neat that the bug is reproducible in emulation. It means that there's a path to catch it without buying expensive hardware.

I thought I had solved that STA issue, but perhaps I didn't. I will see what I have built up and try tracking it down.

Thanks everyone!

-John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Was this offered on cart at some point? Would love a copy :)

Hello there,

Sadly, the game was never finished. There were a few features I was going to add (music, good title screen, ending screen, and a save feature that was hardware-dependent) that never made it into the shuffle. Unfortunately, before I could get to those, a critical bug was found-- basically, on real hardware, your game can tend to freeze. It's unrecoverable without a full reset. That bug also hit when I was moving, so I had to put away my development efforts for awhile. I frankly have found it hard to get back into it. My development environment has been upgraded since the last build, so I know I can make it work on mac now, which is good for me. I'll probably get to it "some day"-- there have been some good debugging suggestions on this thread, and the emulators have caught up a lot from where they were a few years ago. So, you never know.

I wish I had better news, but that's the current status of things.

-John