IGNORED

ROM board / power supply unit for a PAL 800?

Dr Do

Hi again

I've acquired a PAL version Atari 800, but am trying to get to the bottom of its booting up into a red screen. Removing and reseating the RAM boards one-by-one has no effect, and neither does trying to run Star Raiders. This makes me think that either the ROM board is bust (the chip marked CO12399B at position A402 started to get a bit warm) or there's something wrong withg the power supply (it's a Tadmod 9.5V one - I don't have a voltmeter to hand so can't test it at the moment).

So - I'm wonderihng whether there's anyone who have these components to hand and is willing to lend or sell them to me so that I can try swapping them out. If you're within travelling distance (I'm in Manchester, UK) then I'm happy to bring my unit down and try it on the spot. Alternatively, if there's any diagnostic checks that you think I've missed out then feel free to throw them in. Cheers folks!

Try re-seating all the IC's on the board first off.

Clean all the contacts for the RAM and OS boards with alcohol and a cotton bud.

I have spare OS and RAM that you could borrow, but I am in Leicester.

That OS is from 1979, so you must have a pretty early machine, does it have the plastic tabs on the cart door assembly?

Edited by mimo

That OS is from 1979, so you must have a pretty early machine, does it have the plastic tabs on the cart door assembly?

I've tried reseating the ICs and cleaning the contacts, but with no success - so it looks like I'll take you up on your offer if that's okay? Shall I PM you to sort something out?

Incidentally, I wasn't sure where these plastic tabs would be, but the serial number is BK026200 if that helps you to date the machine!

I've tried reseating the ICs and cleaning the contacts, but with no success - so it looks like I'll take you up on your offer if that's okay? Shall I PM you to sort something out?

Incidentally, I wasn't sure where these plastic tabs would be, but the serial number is BK026200 if that helps you to date the machine!

The early 800's had rotatng tabs under the cartridge door, these are quick release latches for the OS/RAM board cover.

Hi,

yes send me a PM with your address and I will post them off to you

Mike

• 10 months later...

Any of you guys from the UK have the INTERNATIONAL Owner's Guide (5 languages) that came with the PAL Atari 800 ??

I have the one for the Atari 400 (see below pic) but i never saw the 800 one... (wonder if it ever exhisted !??).

If you got a spare one I am def interested in buying it.

Let me know!

Carlo

post-25989-0-33993600-1370867895_thumb.jpg