IGNORED

Atari Ethernet Cartridge -Accepting Orders

puppetmark

Hi folks.

Here is the current state of the prototype code I had done for the cart. It is intended to be compiled under CC65. Currently, all programs compile and 'work' except for one I have been experiementing with ( atpserver ) which gets a segment size overflow during compilation, but that one is unfinished anyways. DHCP and PING work, UDPSEND and UDPRECV ( which are file send/receive programs ) sort of work but they get problems with dropped packets during long file transers.

Those of you wanting to use this as a stating point will be most interested in aip.h, aip.c, aip_cs8900.h and aip_cs8900.c. These contain all of the cartridge and IP header structure and basic get/send packet stuff.

The primary problem with the approach I took is that it just doesn't get back around to clearing pending packets ( 99% of which we don't want to see anyway ) from the cart fast enough. The cart will buffer a few packets, but packets arriving after the buffer is full will be dropped. It's mostly a flaw in my current code rather than a flaw in the cartridge...the Contiki stuff seems to manage to get back and clear things enough such that dropped packets aren't a huge problem. Also, you should be aware that in '8 bit mode', interrupts from the cart do not fuction, so you've got to poll the thing rather than using interrups.

I plan on re-working things to be more efficient this winter, but my advice is to use the code here as a starting point for an assembler implementation. Also look for the IP65 code on the internet. I feel that an assembler driver is definitely the way to go here rather than a C implementation.

Good luck and feel free to contact me ( in another thread or via PM ) with any questions.

In reference to the problem with atari 800's, I still havent got any hardware to test on. I would guess it is an available memory issue rather than a hardware conflict.

aIP.zip

Edited by danwinslow
  • Like 2

I can confirm it works. :)

ATM I have not too much time to invest, however, we should created a thread in the Programming section.

My first goal is to be able to send UDP packets to my Linux box and receive replys.

The idea to make a minimal assembler version is intriguing. In the current state I can't imagine using it for "bigger" games. :P

<Snip>

Hi folks.

Here is the current state of the prototype code I had done for the cart. It is intended to be compiled under CC65. Currently, all programs compile and 'work' except for one I have been experiementing with ( atpserver ) which gets a segment size overflow during compilation, but that one is unfinished anyways. DHCP and PING work, UDPSEND and UDPRECV ( which are file send/receive programs ) sort of work but they get problems with dropped packets during long file transers.

Thanks Dan for posting this :)

Same idea here is to make a thin Tcp/Ip layer in ML...

Jay

• 4 months later...

telnet from this ATR working, but its little-but buggy.. but works :)

I think it is useless. I think the Dragoncart is a great project, but the lack of software makes that the cart is eating dust here. And that is pretty rare; I do not have any other atari related object gathering dust.

Unfortunately I'm not able to write this software. That is a bit too complicated for me. So I hope someone else could improve the telnet program. That would be highly appreciated!

I am starting the process of redesigning the cartridge as a single board and moving the ethernet jack to the side. At the moment, I only have a few hours a week to dedicate to the project. Honestly, I would like to see some more development before the second run. I don't know how many more carts will sell until there is a nice set of apps to go with it. With that said, if there is anyone that wants to do some development for the cart that does not have one, let me know. I can probably come up with a development cart or two.

I am starting the process of redesigning the cartridge as a single board and moving the ethernet jack to the side.

Great - but where does this leave the 1200XL? I thought the logistics issue was the fact the ethernet jack was proud of the top of the casing, not that it was on the back.

Re: development - the sheer volume of other coding work in the way means that it'll be a while before I can start writing something for it (GUI oriented, that is).

Edited by flashjazzcat

Great - but where does this leave the 1200XL? I thought the logistics issue was the fact the ethernet jack was proud of the top of the casing, not that it was on the back.

Re: development - the sheer volume of other coding work in the way means that it'll be a while before I can start writing something for it (GUI oriented, that is).

You bring up a good point. The current design uses the IP Dragon module, so it has to go on top, but I was thinking of moving the RJ45 jack if I design the cart to be a single board I thought it might be better for the other XLs . I am thinking now maybe keeping the connector on top would be best, and just make a rj45 right angle cable / adapter available:

rightanglestraight.jpg

Edited by puppetmark

Hello guys

You guys need some kind of adaptor, that'll extend the cartridge port of the 1200XL out far enough that you can plug a cart in that would normally not fit in the cartridge bay. Kinda like MetalGuy's 1200XL PBI adaptorboard, but without the extra signals.

Sincerely

Mathy

Thanks for the info. I wonder why that is. I did check it in a 1200XL. I will make sure the next run fits in a standard cart.

Simply because the ethernet socket is about 4-5mm (IIRC) proud of the front of the case. There may be some variance in this during the manufacturing stage. I think I could move mine down a bit if I heated the pins up, but in any case it gets jammed in the 1200XL's cartridge slot before the edge connector makes contact. ;)

A new design on a single board would likely automatically resolve the issue. Mounting the plug-in ethernet board from the underside of the cartridge PCB (with a cutout in the main PCB for the ethernet connector to poke through) would also make the connector low enough.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Simply because the ethernet socket is about 4-5mm (IIRC) proud of the front of the case. There may be some variance in this during the manufacturing stage. I think I could move mine down a bit if I heated the pins up, but in any case it gets jammed in the 1200XL's cartridge slot before the edge connector makes contact. ;)

A new design on a single board would likely automatically resolve the issue. Mounting the plug-in ethernet board from the underside of the cartridge PCB (with a cutout in the main PCB for the ethernet connector to poke through) would also make the connector low enough.

Or you could always ditch the shite 1200XL for the uber 130XE :)

Currently mounting the IP Dragon II board under the main circuit board is a problem because the CS8900A needs room for air flow otherwise it will overheat. However I had another thought; I am not sure if there is enough room, but I can try to design the board with all surface mount parts EXCEPT for the RJ45jack and have two possible spots to solder the jack in place, one on top and one on the side, that way, only one board has to be produced and it's just a matter of where the notch needs to be on the cart shell. Not sure if the extra unused traces will affect the circuit though. I will have to look into that. Like I said, not sure but it's worth looking into.