IGNORED

KarinMaxiDrive preorder

St(r)yker

Use an old PC power supply for the drives or a drive caddy?

yes ... at or atx... or any power supply +5V DC (3,5') and +5V DC , +12V DC (5,25')

Which 3.5 or 5.25 will the Karin recognise?

I have tested: 3.5' - Alps Df354, Samsung SFD-321B ......

5,25'

Teac FD-55BR - 40-track 360kB

Teac FD-55FR - 80-track 720kB

Also how do I get software onto the disks? through my Sdrive? or is there a Win XP program to write the floppies for teh 8 bit

SIO - any DOS for format and copy files... (MyDos , TomsNavigator, SDX....)

Got my board, could someone post a photo of the case assembled? Just trying to eyeball how i'm gonna dremel out this case, where everything should stick out all nice and orderly.

Also does anyone have a good source of enclosures for floppy drives, I'd love to find a nice small case to hold the drives and a power supply. I found some nice IBM 5.25" PS/2 drives on ebay I was thinking of using for parts, but damn are they expensive.

[uPDATE]

Holding down SELECT during power on seems to have fixed my problems.

OK and drive is found ...3.5" CHINON FB-354

now I need to get some 720 density disks without the high speed window.

Formated D1: 40 DS 512 bps

drive would not except Skewed formating.

I have not got the cables to power D2: yet.

The blinking screen is somewhat annoying.

Wierd

RWTEST D1: average 383897.089 seems that rwtest is only counting time during screen flashes. .89 runtime

during this second time I was able to count to 22 before the program completed.

Edited by rdea6

RWTEST D1: average 383897.089 seems that rwtest is only counting time during screen flashes. .89 runtime

during this second time I was able to count to 22 before the program completed.

RWTEST counts execution time using VBL jiffy, and the Karin BIOS stops the VBL during I/O, because otherwise overruns occur. This is why the result given by the program is false.

The transmission speed is 250000 bits per second, i.e. about 30 KB/s. The real speed may depend on the interleave, interleave 2 is used by default, which means a track will be read (or written) in two revolutions. A track is 18 sectors, 256 bytes each, or 9 sectors, 512 bytes each = 4.5 KB of data to transmit. A floppy makes 300 revolutions per minute, which equals to 5 revolutions per second. So, in a second, 2.5 tracks will be read or written, which makes the effective speed of 11.25 KB/s.

<noob>So, you can use a twist cable in place of soldering the DS jumper? Was wondering because I have some floppy cables with twist and the edge connectors for my 5.25 drive.

Also, will 80 track drives read 40 track discs? (5.25")</noob> (I should just leave that control open)