IGNORED

Coleco ADAM - 30th Anniversary

retroillucid

Although you could do high jumps with boosts like jumping on mushrooms in the forest. In the TV show they also had trampolines as I recall. They were also quite fond of using ropes and pulleys to move platforms around in the TV show.

I did a little research to see what advance copies of Super Smurf Rescue looked like, but it seems like the game play was identical to the cartridge version, just with enhanced graphics. If I worked on the project, I'd definitely want to have new areas to explore, so vertical levels could be quite interesting.

The paging of levels and the controls should be the same as the original. Although people complain bitterly about the controls, I find that fans of the game are really quite attached to the controls. So there you go.

Edited by hardhat
  • Like 1

Don't you think , you will lost some authenticity , if you make vertical level ? I don't think it was in coleco plan for super smurf.

Probably not, but if it doesn't affect the gameplay mechanics, it shouldn't be too much of a departure from the original design.

but in term of gameplay , it is obviously a great addition. Depends if the goal is to recreate as Super Smurf would have been , or create a better super smurf game.

Concerning authencity , i think one importing thing in addition of original animation and sound track would be to keep the jerky kind of scrolling you have when you change screen. In case of "vertical" level, i think you should at least keep the same concept of "scrolling".

Agreed. What I would like to do is design the vertical levels so that the screen stays stationary until you reach the top platform, at which point the screen scrolls downward, and the top platform become the lowest platform on the next screen. With this kind of design, I think I won't be betraying the design of the original Smurf Rescue too much.

• Like 1

I don't care one way or the other if you use side button or push up on the controller knob. I was simply pointing out that just because it was done one way on the cart doesn't mean it would be done that way in the super game. The super game might have had additional features that would be better served if the jump were done via the side buttons rather than the knob. Personally, I have never had a problem jumping in that game so however it ends up...if the game is done...bring it on...

How do we know if Coleco had indeed made Super Smurf that they wouldn't have made the "jump" via the side buttons? Just because the original cartridge game didn't have this feature doesn't mean they wouldn't have changed it for the super game.

That's like saying "Why didn't Capcom offer the option in all their Mega Man games to start the game with all the weapons already equiped?" The answer to that question is obvious: Just play the darn games, get good at them, and it will be a far more satisfying experience for you than having everything given to you on a silver platter.

I would like to point out that the original Smurf Rescue consistently appears on the favorite games list of many CV fans. Those people persevered until they figured out how to jump over obstacles without dying every five seconds (like most beginners do with this game), and they got good at it enough that their satisfaction at playing the game turned into fondness and nostalgia that lasted until this present day.

So I refuse to think that not using the side buttons for jumping in Smurf Rescue was a design error on Coleco's part. I maintain that using the side buttons would make the game ridiculously easy, to the point where you finish the game in 10 minutes, and then never touch it again because it was just a boring walk in the park for you.

You people simply don't realize what you're asking. I don't want to spend weeks (perhaps months) working on a homebrew game that you're going to breeze through in 10 minutes and never touch again. I want you to enjoy the fruits of my labours, and I think that's a legitimate expectation for any homebrewer.

smurf rescue, has been designed for children. And it was perfect for that. the fact to not use the side button was really a great idea , in my opinion.

If you use a side button to jump , and if you want jump to the right for instance , you will have to synchronise a move of your stick to the right and a push on the button... I don't know lot of children of 3-4 years old able to do that. in smurf Rescue, you can jump right just by pushing the stick up 2 times , that's perfect for the youngers

You (indirectly) gave me an idea, youki. :) How about using the side buttons to toggle high jumps? Do a regular jump with the joystick, and to do a double jump, hold down either side button while you do the same joystick movement.

One thing I've always found rather annoying with Smurf Rescue is the high jump. It's not super difficult to pull off, but it is clunky nonetheless. With Super Smurf Rescue, I would like to implement vertical levels (similar to Magical Tree) and high jumps would become important in such levels. Better yet, you could still use the bounce feature from the original Smurf game to perform an even higher jump.

This offers quite a few new possibilities in level design for Super Smurf Rescue... :)

I like that idea :cool: :thumbsup: I just would like to see something new and cool to give me a reason to play through the game again. New vertical levels and new enemies would give me that reason. I like it :lust:

So getting back to J-F's original post... you stated that you only have "a" (I'm taking "a" as meaning one) project in mind. Did I actually guess right with Smurf Rescue - The Super Game or was there something else that you were considering?

About the control scheme... I have absolutely no problem with jumps being performed the same way as the cartridge version and if this is the way the developers want to go, than so be it. I personally think an in-game option to change the control scheme would be nice, but not necessary if it would cause problems between any of the developers that might become involved with this project.

PixelBoy also suggested what I would like to see done as far as scrolling (horizontally and even vertically if vertical sections to the game are included), keep it the same as Coleco did with their cartridge version.... get almost to the side or top/bottom of the screen and then the whole screen scrolls. Seeing as how Opcode just hinted that he might have figured out a way to implement smooth scrolling on the ColecoVision (would be the same for the ADAM), it would be tempting to see if that could be used in a new Smurf game, but then again we are probably moving away from what Coleco would have done with the game.

I hope this game comes to fruition!

Edited by NIAD

My 2 cents. I'd love to see this with new levels as Luc has suggested, I'm ambivalent about the control schemes so if you could implement both that would be great, and I'd really like to have an SGM option so that I don't have to add an Adam to my hoard of systems. :-D

The project I have in mind is something we both already talked..... Remember? ;)

something I wanted done last year but for some reasons, I did not get the time...

although, I'm going to use that idea for the 30th Anniversary of ADAM , since it could not fit more perfectly

My retention ability isn't what it used to be, especially with two little ones under the roof, but I think I do remember now. I honestly don't think there would be a whole lot of interest in this project and that you would have to make availability in very small quantites in order to protect yourself (if I am thinking of the right project). If you proceed ahead with this idea, I would recommend posting about it to gauge interest especially if it were to be sold as a CIB with those very special boxes.

Now, an entirely original project/release on the scales of Smurf Rescue - The Super Game would be an entirely different subject all together and could make the decision to pickup an ADAM that much easier for those that don't already own one.

Edited by NIAD

and I'd really like to have an SGM option so that I don't have to add an Adam to my hoard of systems. :-D

I don't see why the SGM would be required for this project. We'd need more than 32K of ROM space, that's for sure, but Smurf Rescue is a simple enough game that 1K of RAM should suffice, I would think.

and I'd really like to have an SGM option so that I don't have to add an Adam to my hoard of systems. :-D

I don't see why the SGM would be required for this project. We'd need more than 32K of ROM space, that's for sure, but Smurf Rescue is a simple enough game that 1K of RAM should suffice, I would think.

Bank-Switching cartridge

Bank-Switching cartridge

Yes, of course, but my point is that the SGM shouldn't be required. Super Smurf Rescue should be doable with just 1K of RAM, with some careful programming.

Bank-Switching cartridge

Yes, of course, but my point is that the SGM shouldn't be required. Super Smurf Rescue should be doable with just 1K of RAM, with some careful programming.

Sure

If we can cramp it up using only 1K or RAM, than why not just using a bank-switching cart!

All of my game work before I started working with Daniel was all Super Game oriented although I never published any of them because by that point there weren't many Adam gamers left. So thinking about a no excuses super game really does appeal to me.

Given the mega cart, and the mega cart with some flash ram makes me wonder what kind if game I could make for Coleco Adam that I couldn't make for ColecoVision with a mega cart and SGM. After discussing it with newcoleco a little, my observations are that:

1. It would be a game that'd require more RAM than is in the ColecoVision, and perhaps more than is in a ColecoVision with SGM. I can think of several game ideas that could benefit from just a tiny bit more RAM (like an extra 2k could make a world of difference), but many games really can be done with 1k of RAM if you use video RAM for some of your state information.

2. A game that requires persistence -- the usual thing for super games is a Gallery of Honour or high score table. A high score table in and of itself can be done with a cart with flash RAM. But a game with a large amount of state information. So that suggests a game with a long play time and more state information than can be held in a type in code -- like an RPG or other questing game. Or it suggests a game with a great deal of customization available, such as a car racing game where you can customize your cars, and perhaps build custom tracks.

Now since the audience for a Coleco Adam game is always going to be a fraction of the size of ColecoVision gamers, you'd want to make sure you make a game that you don't mind developing for a smaller audience. RPGs are famous for being interminable to complete the coding of. I've worked on 4 RPG games of various types and they take months to develop for sure. They are interesting, but even then you find that only about 16% of gamers are into RPGs, and that might mean reducing your audience to just you and a handful of others.

Of course the tradition of ColecoVision and Coleco Adam games is arcade action. So there are a few ideas of what might be done in that genre. Like a Platformer Construction Set for example.

So some ideas might be:

- platformer construction set (lots of persistence)

- skiiing with first person perspective (more ram)

- fighting game with lots of optional accesseries (persistence)

- large world questing game (persistence for long game, ram for complex game state)

- real time strategy game (persistence for long game)

- racing game (customized cars need more RAM and persistence, maybe custom tracks to play and share)

- puzzle game with save/resume (persistence, and RAM)

So to really justify a game that is exclusively Adam, I think maybe it'd be best to pick one that can't be converted to ColecoVision.

If I complete my AdamNET SD card disk drive in time for next year, maybe that'll be a good way to publish a new Coleco Adam exclusive game. I have quite a few blank Adam tapes from my MTAG user group days and a few 5.25" disks as well. But those things are not so easy to replace these days to make a large run of any kind of game. So strangely I have more ability to make ColecoVision cartridges than Adam disks/ddps.

• Like 1

On the issue of obtaining new 5 1/4" floppies...there is a place that sells new ones...

http://www.floppydisk.com/buy.htm

50 DS/DD go for $49.99

If I complete my AdamNET SD card disk drive in time for next year, maybe that'll be a good way to publish a new Coleco Adam exclusive game. I have quite a few blank Adam tapes from my MTAG user group days and a few 5.25" disks as well. But those things are not so easy to replace these days to make a large run of any kind of game. So strangely I have more ability to make ColecoVision cartridges than Adam disks/ddps.

On the issue of obtaining new 5 1/4" floppies...there is a place that sells new ones...

http://www.floppydisk.com/buy.htm

50 DS/DD go for $49.99

Indeed, 5 1/4" DS/DD Floppy Disks aren't that hard to obtain, even NOS name brand can be had for a reasonable price thru eBay auctions. As far as Data Packs, even after all these years, there is still a good supply available thru Bob and Rich as well as Atari2600.com. I know they are not new (which would be preferrable), but we reused Coleco SmartBASIC and Buck Rogers DDPs for almost everything back in the day and there is an AA member who is interested in making new DDPs if there is demand.

Well I probably have 100 new DDPs. So in a way that's more than I'd want.

Yeah, maybe 5.25" disks are easy enough to find. I know that the last box of disks like that I bought were of poor quality, but if you recommend that site, I'd certainly go there to buy media.

I would have to stop short of recommending that floppy disk site as I have never actually purchased from them. But they appear to be the only one that still sells new floppies and they've been in business for a number of years.

When my supply of eBay purchased (100s of used disks) finally runs out, I'll have to buy from them. All the ones I've bought off eBay have a high failure rate...maybe only 20% of them...if that...will format on my ADAM drives.

Well I probably have 100 new DDPs. So in a way that's more than I'd want.

Yeah, maybe 5.25" disks are easy enough to find. I know that the last box of disks like that I bought were of poor quality, but if you recommend that site, I'd certainly go there to buy media.

As for disks, I have not had major problems with either 31/2 or 51/4 disks. Maybe I live in a bubble, but I have new disks and also very old used disks as well. Most of my failures are from my own design or using disks in a high density drive. One good resource I have is a very old 286 wannabe with dos 2 which formats and reformats disks great.

:twisted: