IGNORED

Free Magnavox Odyssey Homebrew - Red vs. Blue

Rev. Rob

This year is the 40th anniversary of the Magnavox Odyssey, and by extension 40 years of home video game consoles, and to celebrate I wanted to give away this free homebrew to those who want it. It's a lot cheaper for you to assemble it on your own than it is for me to assemble it and ship it. Plus, who knows? It might take me 14 months to get it out the door. And no one wants that. I designed the game to work with Game Card #11, mostly as a thank you to everyone who ordered Odball, but it also plays great with Game Card #8, which almost everyone who has an Odyssey should have.

What you'll find attached are three items.

1. Box
  2. Instructions
  3. Overlays

Assembling the Box

I find that assembling the box sucks. I hated this part when it came to Odball.

1. Print on non-glossy A4 size card stock. Ink will not stick to glossy.
  2. If you have a mechanical cutter then cut as close to the black on all sides. If you don't have a slicer, then I suggest using a ruler with a sharp edge and an xacto knife.
  3. Use the ruler and xacto knife to to cut out the box and all of the tabs.
  4. Be sure to cut three mm on each side of the folding flaps (the rounded part), at the fold.
  5. Using the ruler, on the back side of the box, lightly drag the xacto knife over the areas were the folds will be.
  6. Fold the box.
  7. Apply a thin layer of glue to the white tab.
  8. Use the ruler to press firmly the tab to the inner box. Hold for 30 seconds.
  9. Let glue dry at least one minute.
  10. Fold tabs and cut away excess as needed so that it folds and fits properly.

Printing the Instructions

1. I usually like these printed on semi-glossy paper. But any A4 size will do.
  2. Be sure to fold it carefully. Maybe print more than one in case folding the first one gets messed up.

Printing the Overlays

1. The type of paper used for the overlays is vellum. Clear plastic type overlays don't display well. Vellum is cheap and can be purchased from any FedEx Office, Office Max, Staples, et cetera.
  2. Use an ink jet printer and set your print settings to a low color density so there's not too much ink so it won't smear.
  3. Cut out each square. I suggest using a slicer if possible.

Enjoy.

More info: http://revrob.com/front-page-topmenu-28/183-red-vs-blue-free-homebrew-for-magnavox-odyssey-to-celebrate-40-years-of-home-video-game-consoles

Red_vs_Blue_Box.pdf

red_vs_blue_overlay.pdf

red_vs_blue_instructions.pdf

Edited by Rev. Rob
  • Like 1

Id be interested in the same thing. I know someone on here who can print full size Odyssey boxes, I have seen his work and its great. I have asked if he would do it but dont want to divulge who it is in case he doesnt want too.