IGNORED

Cloak & Dagger

doomwaves

post-33288-0-62524400-1342797062_thumb.jpg

Does anyone else remember this movie?

Davey has an Atari 5200, and a top secret piece of information, stored inside "Cloak & Dagger" an Atari 5200 cart that has fallen into his lap. Now he must evade the bad guys trying to "get him" with help from Jack Flack, Cloak & Dagger's main character, a secret agent of sorts.

http://en.wikipedia....ger_(1984_film)

I love this movie.

Makes me want to play Atari every time I watch it.

And definitely makes me want to pick up a 5200.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, the Atari 5200/800 version of Cloak & Dagger was never released; it was at a very early stage of development when Atari changed hands in 1984. The incomplete source code was discovered by Curt Vendel a few years ago and was given to the original programmer, Dave Comstock, who actually began working on improving and finishing the game in his spare time. I'm not sure what the current status of the project is, but last I heard it is still proceeding (albeit slowly).

I rented the DVD from Netflix a little bit ago. Felt a lot more like a 70's movie than an 80's movie, with the musical score sounding especially dated. It's not a bad movie... I probably would have liked it a lot more if I saw it back in the day. It's certainly no WarGames or Tron, though.

The movie is corny AND cheesy and it certainly hasn't aged well, but it has its charm. It's worth a rental just to laugh a bit and reminisce about the 80s a bit. The scenes in the computer store really took me back, it's worth it just for those scenes alone. :)

• Like 2

The movie is corny AND cheesy and it certainly hasn't aged well, but it has its charm. It's worth a rental just to laugh a bit and reminisce about the 80s a bit. The scenes in the computer store really took me back, it's worth it just for those scenes alone. :)

Totally cheesy. But it's a good cheese, like a nice Gouda or Havarti.

Man, I watched that movie so many times back in the day. I loved seeing the classic computer/game store in the intro and all the footage of the game. I saw it a couple years ago and it was a lot of fun for me purely for nostalgia reasons. I enjoyed it. Totally cheesy, but fun.

Unfortunately, the Atari 5200/800 version of Cloak & Dagger was never released; it was at a very early stage of development when Atari changed hands in 1984. The incomplete source code was discovered by Curt Vendel a few years ago and was given to the original programmer, Dave Comstock, who actually began working on improving and finishing the game in his spare time. I'm not sure what the current status of the project is, but last I heard it is still proceeding (albeit slowly).
Cool. I'd buy a copy in a flash if it ever gets released! Edited by BydoEmpire

Given I was about 12 or 13 when this movie came out, and into Atari, it was aimed right at me, I think. I have very fond memories of it and it remains a favorite. I was sure to buy it on DVD. Haven't watched it in a while though. I have to admit it's the Atari stuff that keeps it of interest. I like Dabney Coleman in it.

It's dated, for sure, but I refuse to call it "cheesy," as I find that too, well, insulting I guess.

Who hasn't seen this show?? Very common I watched it a couple times. cant remember bout the 5200.. . I prob thought it was a made up console for movies as 2600 was the only atari in small town canada to exsist..although my mom still has a atari clock from a prize from selling avon..

Edited by Jinks

LOL, there are a multitude of threads on this movie in the forum. You might want to try the search box. ;)

No problem, just making conversation. Sorry I was out of line...

LOL, there are a multitude of threads on this movie in the forum. You might want to try the search box. ;)

No problem, just making conversation. Sorry I was out of line...

Huh? I wasn't balling you out, I was just laughing because we get so many new people here that start threads like that. Its cool that in this day and age people are still discovering something new to them, don't get me wrong.

• Like 1

Huh? I wasn't balling you out, I was just laughing because we get so many new people here that start threads like that. Its cool that in this day and age people are still discovering something new to them, don't get me wrong.

Naw its all good. I get a bit hasty and don't check into other threads.. I just happened to watch the movie recently & brought it up. I've seen the movie dozens of times, but only recently realized he was playing a 5200 (which I am seeking) so it was very fresh in my mind. SOOO I posted it.. LOL!

As "cheesy" or "dated" as it may be, this is one of my favorite movies ever. I watched this movie so many times growing up that I think I STILL have it memorized. It really hit all of the right notes with me: A kid close to my age who plays Atari and lives in Central Texas. The movie was filmed in San Antonio, with many of the landmarks prominently displayed it in. I spent so much time there, all of those locations were instantly recognizable to me. Except, I never could quite find that video game store that was so well stocked with Atari items.... ;)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...