IGNORED

Atari Jaguar vs the Nintendo 64

rhindlethereddragon

• 2 years later...

Well, since they are both 64-bit RISC-based, cartridge-based systems, they are pretty much identical power-wise. About the only difference is the controller. Since the Jaguar controller has more buttons, and can also handle overlays, I'd say the Jaguar comes out on top overall.

oh, go away. The jag has a couple (2/3) 64 bit processors within the 'tom' chip and a 64 bit data bus connecting all the chips but the chipset isn't 64 bit RISC based. And saying that just because they're both supposedly (i don't want to get attacked about whether they are not) 64 bit systems that are cartridge based means that they are both as powerful as each other is basically like saying the following:

1. The atari 2600, 5200, 7800, the NES, the sms, the colecovision, the game boy and the pc engine/turbografx16 are all identical.

2. The intellivision, the megadrive/genesis, the SNES/SFC and the neo geo are all identical.

3. A SNES/SFC with a Super FX chip is no more powerful than a SNES/SFC alone; same thing with the megadrive/genesis and the SVP chip.

4. The atari panther (if it was released), the 32x and the GBA are all identical.

5. The 3do, the saturn, the playstation, cd32x, dreamcast and xbox are all identical.

6. the panasonic m2, the ps4 and the xbox one are all identical.

OK, do you realise how ridiculous what you said was?

• Like 1

It is sad that Nintendo had much more budget for marketing. It's rumored that the unreleased Bentley Bear 64, which was in development for Jaguar would have outperformed Super Mario 64 graphically. When Atari Corps hit financial troubles, they had to sell the engine to Nintendo who made Mario 64 based on that; however it is said to be watered-down compared to the BB 64 Alpha, since the engine made heavy use of the Jaguars custom chips Tom and Jerry which the N64 lacked.

So based on that anecdote, that a top-N64-title is basically just an inferior version of what was meant to run on Jaguar you can say that the Jaguar was stronger.

LOL, congratulations, you made the least convincing fictional satement in the history of mankind. I only just noticed it was a joke when i looked at some other posts but before then i thought it was extreme fanboyism!

Because i was going to say, all jag games would make heavy use of the tom and jerry chips or else every game that didn't would basically look like a glorified sonic robo blast and sound like a zx spectrum whilst running on that M68000!

Congrats on necrobumping a 4 year old post ApocalypticNoise! Oh and welcome. :lol:

oh, sorry. I have a tendency to respond to whatever i see that i want to comment; it became so agitating that i had to make an account yesterday so i could comment on these threads ha! And thanks! :-o :-o :-o that emoji though.

oh, sorry. I have a tendency to respond to whatever i see that i want to comment; it became so agitating that i had to make an account yesterday so i could comment on these threads ha! And thanks! :-o :-o :-o that emoji though.

I'd also recommend lurking around long enough to recognize which of us tend to lay the sarcasm on thickly. ;)

Edited by racerx
  • Like 3

ApocalypticNose comes in and suddenly the thread reeks of armageddon. I accidentally necrobumped a thread yesterday and I have 9000+ posts under my belt.

If you hang around long enough, you will realise that all common sense and rationalism goes completely out the window when you enter the Jaguar section. Enter at your own risk!

|:) :evil:

• Like 2

ApocalypticNose comes in and suddenly the thread reeks of armageddon. I accidentally necrobumped a thread yesterday and I have 9000+ posts under my belt.

If you hang around long enough, you will realise that all common sense and rationalism goes completely out the window when you enter the Jaguar section. Enter at your own risk!

| :) :evil:

Yeeeaahh, I see what you mean.

And i'm really quite sick of all the 'bit' arguments whichever system it is.

Edited by ApocalypticNose
  • Like 1

Yeeeaahh, I see what you mean.

And i'm really quite sick of all the 'bit' arguments whichever system it is.

It's really the graphics and sound hardware that make the system. Atari VCS, NES, and Turbografx all have basically the same 8-bit (6502 family) CPUs with minor variations, but otherwise look and play nothing alike.

• Like 1

It's really the graphics and sound hardware that make the system. Atari VCS, NES, and Turbografx all have basically the same 8-bit (6502 family) CPUs with minor variations, but otherwise look and play nothing alike.

exactly my point. Just because they are classed as the same and use the same storage media doesn't mean that there are identical.