IGNORED

Tag Sale Dreams Can Still Come True

Red 5

Woah, I only know of (ms)/pacman and frogger. That's neat right there. Wonder what centipede the board game is like?

Centipede has marbles with them. I actually have a duplicate of Centipede, but I think it is not complete so I never put it on. Half of the ones I have are brand new sealed. I couldn't even tell you where I got them. The Krull is sealed and I paid $7 for it. I was happy with that one and have had many people offer me a decent amount for it.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

How frequently do you go to them, Shawn? My friend gave me those comics to sell for him that I mentioned the other day he got for cheap. I priced 9 already at $585, with a few more to go. My guess is he's going to come out around $800-900 retail. In fact I sold one for $50 2 hours after posting.

I'm hoping on going hunting this weekend. We'll see if anything good comes from it.

Phil

My wife calls yard sales "tag sales" from her native Connecticut stomping grounds. Further south from me, there's definetely something to be had. Up here in my neck of the woods, I haven't seen many "tag" (yard sales) around at all. Been pretty quiet this year.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a big Atari score or anything but that little joystick that plugs in the TV can be tough to find cheap. I should have gotten them in the picture but I got a standard Atari 2600 joysticks and 2 sets of paddle controllers, one was Sears which was my first of that kind. All told I got 16 games, the 4 controllers, the VHS tapes, and a Sega Genesis without cords for $10.50. This was from a flea market in Michigan.

post-30016-0-05497600-1346340880_thumb.jpg

Edited by HelloAtariJason

• 5 weeks later...

What I'm finding is that people keep dumping most video game systems. Systems that still have new releases are not discounted much, though I'm beginning to see many PS 2 and 3 games being dumped at places like KMart. Even some Xbox. I found PSP movies at the Dollar Tree. $1 for PSP movies? Seems relatively cheap.

Systems not too old like Game Cube, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, and PS1 are pretty much being dumped. The time to buy is always when no one wants the stuff.

My wife is getting annoyed with my interest in Beanie Babies. I haven't really bought much, just a handful. I found a 3rd generation Squealer for $1.50, though the tag is a bit creased. Thing is, I can pretty much get Beanies right now for 50 cents to $1 in plentiful supply. I mean hundreds if not thousands if I really wanted them.

The magic number for collectibles is 25. That is 25 years after they are released. The "children" who grew up with these toys were probably in the age range of 4-10. Add 25 years and you get 29-35. By then they are out of college and most likely are set with their career. Their student loans are pretty much paid off. They have extra money and now want to relive their childhood.

ATM the big item is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They are 24 years old (cartoon with action figures, not the actual comic) and the vintage stuff is picking up steam. Pretty much any figure from the first 7-8 years will bring you $12-15 in the package, the better ones yielding $20-25. With new stuff still being released, it keeps interest.

Beanies are now 19 years old. I'm giving them 5 years. If I ever come into a bit of money and definitely more room, I'd be stocking up on these plush dolls right now as much as I could.

Almost 3 years ago, I began a book about buying/selling collectibles that pertained to toys, comics, cards, games, etc. Like many of my projects, it remains incomplete. The other day I was going to revisit the book and continue to work on it. I don't know if I'll ever finish it, but what I'm writing literally won't change over the years.

So you'll find cheap video games out there. I do all the time. I even buy sometimes for systems I don't own or even care to collect just for the fact they are so cheap.

Phil