IGNORED

7800 can't display color in 2600 mode

Future Primitive

I'm new here! Well, not entirely. I actually lurked a bit before posting, but here I am requesting help from one of the biggest pools of knowledge on Atari anything!

I just got in this 7800 from an Ebay ad that I was very disappointed with in general. That's another story though. WAY too many problems with the shipment, description, condition, communication, etc. One of two Ebay problems I've had total. Good record, I'd say!

The 7800 is in cosmetically good shape. It runs smoothly (full color) for 7800 games with my RCA to RF adapter, but can only display 2600 games in black and white with hints of yellow. I tried the pause button, but nothing happened.

After a bit of Google sleuthing, I came up with this page: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/88442-25-atari-7800-showing-colour-2600-mode-please

How he fixed it made my heart sink a bit. My soldering skills are less than favorable, plus I don't currently have the tools for this kind of fix.

I've opened up a 4 Switch Atari VCS and cleaned it with great success. Brought it back from the dead, more or less. Do you guys think I can fix this myself? Or, is there anyone out there who knows how to fix it and would be willing to help?

Thanks in advance! Hope to hear some good news about this 7800's backwards compatibility.

I'm new here! Well, not entirely. I actually lurked a bit before posting, but here I am requesting help from one of the biggest pools of knowledge on Atari anything!

I just got in this 7800 from an Ebay ad that I was very disappointed with in general. That's another story though. WAY too many problems with the shipment, description, condition, communication, etc. One of two Ebay problems I've had total. Good record, I'd say!

The 7800 is in cosmetically good shape. It runs smoothly (full color) for 7800 games with my RCA to RF adapter, but can only display 2600 games in black and white with hints of yellow. I tried the pause button, but nothing happened.

After a bit of Google sleuthing, I came up with this page: http://www.tomshardw...600-mode-please

How he fixed it made my heart sink a bit. My soldering skills are less than favorable, plus I don't currently have the tools for this kind of fix.

I've opened up a 4 Switch Atari VCS and cleaned it with great success. Brought it back from the dead, more or less. Do you guys think I can fix this myself? Or, is there anyone out there who knows how to fix it and would be willing to help?

Thanks in advance! Hope to hear some good news about this 7800's backwards compatibility.

you could try contacting yurkie, he mods them and does the same with colecovision... he does excellent work

If you open up the 7800 and remove the RF shielding you will see two pots (dials) in the middle of the board. The top (closest to the cart slot) one adjusts the 7800 color, the lower one adjusts the 2600 color. Try adjusting the 2600 color pot and see if it helps with the color issue.

Mitch

After a bit of Google sleuthing, I came up with this page: http://www.tomshardw...600-mode-please

you could try contacting yurkie, he mods them and does the same with colecovision... he does excellent work

If you open up the 7800 and remove the RF shielding you will see two pots (dials) in the middle of the board. The top (closest to the cart slot) one adjusts the 7800 color, the lower one adjusts the 2600 color. Try adjusting the 2600 color pot and see if it helps with the color issue.

Mitch

Great suggestions! I will try to adjust the 2600 color pot to see if anything comes up.

If I'm unlucky, I'll probably try Yurkie's upgrade. Now's the best time to have a 7800!

Thanks for the fast replies! Let's hope that this 7800 can be whipped back into shape.

Update: It was pretty tough working on this 7800! Cleaning was easy, but taking off the RF shielding in this particular system was a chore.

The Good News: This Atari shines with the best of them!

The Bad News: I didn't have any luck with the color pot. I think that the issue in the link I posted is the same problem my 7800 has. Bad news indeed!

For the time being, I will use this system for 7800 games. I hope to have this Atari 7800 project fully functional soon! I might have to send it out for repairs.

I'm currently on the look out for a solid and reliable 7800 for sale....