IGNORED

What Atari Power Supplies should we keep/Throwaway

npturton

I have a vented Atari power supply that was cut apart and taped back together that puts out 5.2 volts DC according to my meter. My other vented power supply works and this one does not. I tried replacing the capacitors, but it is still a no go. What should I be looking for to get it working?

Oh, information wise, the Atari model number is C061982.

all I know is that 'ingot' PSU's fail and usually take the atari with them. when they fail, they usually end up at some voltage way too high for the atari...

Also, there is a pic somewhere that shows the good vs. bad power supplies, although all I have ever really heard is that the ingots should be thrown away. other than that, you just don't want to plug a supply in that doesn't put out enough juice, which is (I think) more of a problem with heavily modded ataris

Atari 5-pin DIN supplies are linear-type meaning they generate a DC voltage a few volts above 5V and then regulate it down though a transistor (controlled by a feedback loop). The idea is to dynamically limit the amount of current, and thus the voltage drop across the transistor, so the output potential is always 5V. This is usually done using low-cost regulator IC such as the 7805. When the regulator fails, it often connects the output directly to the source voltage forcing too much current through the computer and burning up some IC's. The ingots seem to fail more often than the other supplies which would indicate that they either have a poor circuit design or their epoxy potting doesn't make a very good heatsink.

If I am not wrong there's already a similar thread.

Anyway, I attach an interesting old article.

Atari XL XE Power Supplies.pdf

That's weird, this doc is saying that the type 4's are the ones that could go into the over-voltage problem and only deliver 0.93 amps under load...

Are the ingots the type II variety or a different animal?

Jay

If I am not wrong there's already a similar thread.

Anyway, I attach an interesting old article.

Atari XL XE Power Supplies.pdf

That's weird, this doc is saying that the type 4's are the ones that could go into the over-voltage problem and only deliver 0.93 amps under load...

Are the ingots the type II variety or a different animal?

Jay

I don't know if anyone has gone to the trouble of determining the schematic of the INGOT, the potting compound makes this difficult. I do know from personal experience that when an INGOT fails it can go over-voltage and damage ICs in the computer it powers, when mine failed about 25 years ago output was over +8V. I continued to use the defective INGOT for another 6 months or so by simply reducing the output with a 7805 voltage regulator.

• 9 months later...

Has anybody any experience with the Abbuc power supply?

http://www.abbuc.de/abbuc/shop/hardware/schaltnetzteil-fuer-atari-xlxe130211104209

I am thinking of getting one of these; as in Holland the voltage of the grid has been increased from 220 to 230 Volt I think it is better for my Atari to get a power supply that is designed for the higher voltage. I am only wondering how they have managed to get the power supply so compact, compared to the original brick sized Atari power supply.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Has anybody any experience with the Abbuc power supply?

http://www.abbuc.de/abbuc/shop/hardware/schaltnetzteil-fuer-atari-xlxe130211104209

I am thinking of getting one of these; as in Holland the voltage of the grid has been increased from 220 to 230 Volt I think it is better for my Atari to get a power supply that is designed for the higher voltage. I am only wondering how they have managed to get the power supply so compact, compared to the original brick sized Atari power supply.

Well, I've just ordered one, so we'll soon find out...

A long overdue update - now tried it, and it works nicely.

Edited by Dr Do