IGNORED

Which cart am I?

bomberpunk

Up n' Down.

PoyK9.jpg

It was elementary, my dear Nathan. After taking a closer look at Nathan's hints, I noticed that something didn't add up. Namely, the Roman numerals.

I knew that this was out of place to begin with, but I didn't know what he was referring to at first. I already knew that they translated to 322, 574, and 182 respectively...

1. CCCXXII

2. DLXXIV

3. CLXXXII

...but I didn't know WHY the numbers were significant. Until he said:

...searching in two many places.

So that was when I realized that 574 was the number that mattered the most. But I still didn't know a specific clue telling me what the bloomin' blazes I should be looking for. Then it hit me.

How are you researching the games you've been guessing?

AtariAge, of course! Every game has a URL like so:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=xxx

So I plugged 574 into the URL, and what do you know. Nathan, you sure did have us search "Up n' Down" for this answer! Ha ha ha! Case closed.

Edited by exo

Sooo...we have games from three different companies, Sega, Activision and U.S. Games. Two of the three are water based games that have sharks, the third is a driving game that doesn't fit with the other two, but we know is not the answer. The publisher has a water based game, but no sharks. I am trying to find a gameplay based solution as the gameplay is the "heart of the game" (unless the "heart" of the game is the code, but I don't think you are that cruel), or, unless it has something to do with US Games being owned by Quaker Oats, who makes heart healthy products.......

Crash Dive

Logic: A 20th Century Fox game: Their slogan is: "Games of the Century" hence the roman "hundreds" numerals.

Also, Up n' Down would refer to part of the gameplay as you move your ship from the air into the sea and back to collect treasures. (Fathom has already been used, I think)

It has sharks like Fishing Derby and Name this Game as well as a "refueling" gameplay mechanic to get more fuel (Name this Game you get more oxygen). Fishing Derby has your player control his line from above the water. Crash Dive has your player able to interact both inside and outside the water.

EDIT: Okay I just did the math for fun..

Crash Dive is software page 112 here on AtariAge:

DLXXIV = 574 : CCCXXII = 322 : CLXXXII = 182

574 - 322 = 252

252 - 182 = 70

112 - 70 = 42 ( Which we know, is the answer to life, the universe, and everything 8) )

Edited by Gateway
  • Like 1

Crash Dive

No. Brilliant reasoning, but way, way too much homework, for what is effectively a very simple problem.

EDIT: Okay I just did the math for fun..

Crash Dive is software page 112 here on AtariAge:

DLXXIV = 574 : CCCXXII = 322 : CLXXXII = 182

574 - 322 = 252

252 - 182 = 70

112 - 70 = 42 ( Which we know, is the answer to life, the universe, and everything 8) )

Now you have the idea! That's what this entire puzzle has been all about!

You just have to figure out the game. ;)

(No... I'm not intentionally trying to drive you all mad. Really though, the answers are all right there in front of you, when you add it all up.)

Would Basic Math skills help in this situation? If I paid more attention in math class, I might actually have Fun With Numbers.....

Fun With Numbers is the correct answer!

In hindsight, this turned out to be harder than I expected. But it was sure fun watching people try to figure it out. :D

Here's a recap:

1. CCCXXII

2. DLXXIV

3. CLXXXII

Which are 322, 574 and 182.

In the AtariAge database, that would be Name That Game, Up 'n' Down and Fishing Derby.

The first letters of each game, unscrambled, spell "Fun". In this case, literally "Fun", with numbers.

If you've been playing along for awhile, that will help you solve this one.

M.A.D. and Yars' Revenge both used the first letters as clues.

Also, back with Midnight Magic, I'd guessed Fun With Numbers incorrectly.

The solution to the clues is at the very heart of the game.

It was all about having fun with numbers!

But still, it's not like you have to solve the ultimate question to life, the universe and everything.

Obviously a Hitchiker's Guide reference. There's a math problem on the label, and the answer is 42.

c_FunWithNumbers_Picture_front.jpg

Not Codebreaker. But a very good guess.

Similar theme. Again, having fun with numbers.

Not Blackjack. My math isn't good enough to come up with those clues.

A math hint (Basic Math being Fun With Numbers' alternate title).

Not Juno First. But you're both soooooo close without even realizing it.

People were posting math problems in the thread, while guessing! I wasn't even sure how to suggest a hint based on that, without giving it away.

Consider this... how are you researching the games you've been guessing?

A not-so-subtle hint to check the AtariAge database.

Not Bridge. I was just looking at the page for the game, and it doesn't even include instructions for playing Bridge in the manual.

Another clue to check out the database pages, to find out what the numbers meant.

Not Hunt and Score or A Game of Concentration. Two good guesses though. Always wondered why they changed the name and re-released it...

A clue that this was another re-released, re-named game.

And no... it's not Up 'n' Down either. That's but one of the clues, and they all have equal importance.

I kept putting numbers and math terms in my posts. I tried to make them more prevalent than would normally appear.

Yes - the numbers do indeed point to Fishing Derby, Up n' Down and Name that Game. You basically now have all the clues (including ones I added along the way).

I put the games in the correct order to spell out "Fun". Also, a reference to "basic" (math), and adding.

Also, it's not Crack'ed. That's two games that aren't Crack'ed.

Another hint that part of the answer lies in the way M.A.D.'s clues worked.

Nope - figuring out the game doesn't require that much math.

Another math clue.

No. Brilliant reasoning, but way, way too much homework, for what is effectively a very simple problem.

And another.

(No... I'm not intentionally trying to drive you all mad. Really though, the answers are all right there in front of you, when you add it all up.)

And another clue about M.A.D. and math problems.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 1

Lord of the Rings: FOTR ?

The movie, A Christmas Story features Ralphie getting in the mail, a secret decoder ring.

Auctioneers have ringmen to help spot people bidding.

Aragorn was to be crowned the king by the end of the novels and movie series.