IGNORED

Which cart am I?

bomberpunk

Super Football.

b_SuperFootball_Red_front.jpg

I'd thought about Atari Football earlier (the classic X's and O's arcade game), but hadn't thought of it as a source. I was looking for a 2600 game with X's and O's.

The sky is blue on the box, black in the game.

I suppose the uprights look vaguely like a menorah.

That's about all I got.

Not our Gallic friend, I'm afraid. But again, you're in the right area...or do I mean domain? (Realm? Help me out here.)

Here's a recap of the clues with some guidance:

1. No Christmas story: just a weak hint of Hanukkah. (art, title, and gameplay)

2. No Hollywood Squares: and no Hunter either. (kind of a meta-clue, but obliquely relates to the title and gameplay)

3. No easy embrace for us: just friendly hugs & kisses for now. (art and gameplay)

4. No easy success: it usually backfires. (gameplay)

5. No pastel blue skies: paint it black, 'cause we're having a fine time. (art and title, and gameplay somewhat)

6. No staying home: you'll go crazy finding the answer. (doesn't directly relate to the game, but offers meta-help)

And here's a seventh clue:

7. No easy options: choose wisely to reach your goal.

Oh, man, that fits alarmingly well, but it's not the one I had in mind. Your last two guesses have something in common, though, and that trait is shared by the game I intended.

Also, it is indeed a PAL exclusive.

Clue #6 and Clue #7 are related. I might have added emphasis:

7. No easy options: choose wisely to reach your goal.

If that touches off a web of associations, you're on the right track. Then again, that forces me to rewrite Clue #2:

2. No Hollywood Squares: and no Hunter either. (...or is there?)

Not Asterix.

That said, you're very warm. Perhaps a trip to the Middle East would offer some inspiration? It's downright hot there, after all.

But you couldn't stay here at home for that -- you'd have to succumb to an excessive enthusiasm or desire, or an obsession. Still, don't forget to write.

(Or you could just send a ham radio broadcast of some kind, though we'd all be waiting for our sight-seeing souvenirs.)

Open Sesame! aka Apples and Dolls aka I Want My Mommy ?

In the story 1001 Arabian Nights Schezarnade-something had to "choose wisely" the stories she told in order to stay alive long enough for the King/Sultan guy to fall in love with her and not kill her. One of her stories included Ali Baba and the 40 thieves and the phrase "Open Sesame" in order to open the cave of treasure (in the Middle Eastern part of the world). I think it was his brother who could not remember the password and it backfired on him, getting him caught by the thieves, etc.

The gameplay itself is all black screen with difficult joystick control, etc., however it includes voice synthesized speech in the PAL release.

Oh, man, that's a great guess, but no. The game doesn't have a Middle Eastern theme, but there's something about it that exemplifies a cultural phenomenon often found in that part of the world, and very seldom seen anywhere else. (In fact it's found in that whole area, including Israel.)

I looked at every PAL exclusive over and over. I'm lost.

This game is in the AA database, but the entry is woefully thin on details and not 100% correct. You can get better information elsewhere if you (ahem) choose wisely. That is, if you have enough of an (ahem) excessive enthusiasm or desire.

Jungle Fever or Burning Desire by Mystique(PAL) ?

Mystique was in the X-men movies and comics. The lables have a cross-hatch "square" pattern and the guy on the label for Jungle Fever looks similar to the player in Jungle Hunt

Mystique, IIRC was PAL and sold their game right to Playaround in No. America?

If you, ahem, get you bodily essence on the woman in Burning Desire, the fire grows larger instead of dies down (it backfires)

The game screen when trying to rescue your "lover" is pitch black, though the later "reward" scenes have blue skies. The sky on the labels for either of these titles is anybodies guess as it is hard to tell.

That's all I got. I'm tired, LOL. Goodnight.