IGNORED

Which cart am I?

bomberpunk

It makes sense now..

M.A.D. is like a poor man's Missle Command combined with Atlantis. Rob Fulop programmed M C, IIRC, then was part of Imagic when they released Atlantis.

U.S. Games implies that they are only in the USA.

Mad is not crazy, or cracked..

Though Off Your Rocker was the next game I was going to guess. ;)]

Well, for one thing, Nathan's clues keep spelling out "mad" with their first letters, and Cracked used to be a competitor of MAD Magazine (I don't know Crazy, but if I Googled it I suspect I'd find that it was one too). And he doesn't want people to get...mad, I assume.

I don't know the game or the art, so I'm only going on that basis! I suppose now I should look those up and see...

I was thinking U.S. Games wouldn't be popular in other countries. I was thinking it is a rip off of Atlantis and MAD Magazine. I was thinking mad is a synonym for all those words.

Also...

Clue #1 refers to the box. And the manual. And the label. But not the title screen.

M.A.D. is on all but the title screen.

Clue #2 refers to the box. And the manual. And the label. And the title screen. Let me rephrase those clues to say, the game might not have been popular in those places. Or at least, some places.

U.S. Games is on all including the title screen.

Okay, I'll recap, and clarify.

2. M ight not have sold very well in Canada.

3. A pretty blatant copy of another game. Sort-of like Demon Attack and Phoenix. Sort-of.

1. D efinitely not Crack'ed.

2. M ight not have sold very well in Europe, either.

3. A nd something about Demon Attack copying Phoenix makes how this game is a copy of another somewhat ironic.

1. D efinitely not Crazy, either.

Y U mad, Nathan?

post-2955-0-45541400-1346303782_thumb.png

Okay, I'll recap, and clarify.

2. M ight not have sold very well in Canada.

3. A pretty blatant copy of another game. Sort-of like Demon Attack and Phoenix. Sort-of.

1. D efinitely not Crack'ed.

2. M ight not have sold very well in Europe, either.

3. A nd something about Demon Attack copying Phoenix makes how this game is a copy of another somewhat ironic.

1. D efinitely not Crazy, either.

Y U mad, Nathan?

Oh, I missed that.

"I'm hesitant to post another clue. A fourth clue isn't needed to name this game, as the other three clues would no longer work.

I will say, it makes a difference the order in which you read the clues. Maybe moving 1 to the end would make more sense."

"As it is, I'm practically spelling out the game."

Looks like we have a winner - Schizophretard! It was indeed

M.A.D. You got all of the clues! Almost...

I'm hesitant to post another clue. A fourth clue isn't needed to name this game, as the other three clues would no longer work.

Name This Game - another game by U.S. Games.

I will say, it makes a difference the order in which you read the clues. Maybe moving 1 to the end would make more sense.

Another instance of M.A.D.

Maybe if you'd tell me how you were reaching your conclusions, I might be able to refine my clues better.

As it is, I'm practically spelling out the game. If I gave it away now, I wouldn't want people to get... what's the word... disappointed? No... annoyed? No... upset? No, that's not it either... what's the word I'm looking for? I hate it when a word is right on the tip of your tongue and you can't figure it out.

Dang. Anyway, we'll give it some more time. I don't want people to get too frustrated.

Yet another instance of M.A.D.

And yes, both Cracked and Crazy were rip-offs of Mad magazine. And the Demon Attack clue was about its programmer - Rob Fulop. Demon Attack was essentially copied from Phoenix (especially the Intellivision version), and Imagic got sued for it. Ironically, M.A.D. then essentially copied one of Rob's other games - Missile Command - including the title, since it's Missile Attack and Defense.

Whew. Now I'm all tired out. :D

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 1

Secret Quest

* "secret" suggests the truth is being kept hidden and lies are used instead.

* Nolan Bushnell's face is on the cart label, however he didn't actually program the game, but designed it.

* The end label includes ATARI 2600 on it (though several Red label carts did)

Ok I am guessing you are talking about the Swordquest series, specifically Swordquest: Waterworld

Of the 3 games released, Waterworld "lied" about having the contest to win the crown, and the overall contest to win the sword was cancelled as well. At least a prize was awarded in the case of Earthworld and Fireworld.

The comics that came with the games required you to match clues with the items, etc. in the game.

The end label includes "Swordquest" which is true to the contest, in which you were on a quest to win the "Sword" prize worth 50K, and I am sure the cross-promotion with DC comics and the Franklin Mint made it obvious to almost everybody out there that it was for the Atari 2600 console. 8)

Ok I am guessing you are talking about the Swordquest series, specifically Swordquest: Waterworld

Of the 3 games released, Waterworld "lied" about having the contest to win the crown, and the overall contest to win the sword was cancelled as well. At least a prize was awarded in the case of Earthworld and Fireworld.

The comics that came with the games required you to match clues with the items, etc. in the game.

The end label includes "Swordquest" which is true to the contest, in which you were on a quest to win the "Sword" prize worth 50K, and I am sure the cross-promotion with DC comics and the Franklin Mint made it obvious to almost everybody out there that it was for the Atari 2600 console. 8)

You are thinking too hard. I made this one easy. It requires no research. You just need the cart, a VCS, and can see all the lies even if you don't know much about Atari. These are all obvious inaccuracies, errors, and "lies".

1) The cart lies about the game.

There is an inaccuracy on the main label about the game play and it's obvious.

2) The game lies about the cart.

There is a different inaccuracy in the game about something on the main label. This is a little less obvious than number one.

3) And for some, the only thing the end label is honest about is what console it is for.

Who are the some and why are their end labels only honest about what console it is for?

I'm stumped. I could only get as far as it being (maybe) a red label Atari game, since that's the only one I can think of where the name of the console is actually on the end label.

The problem is, most labels "lie" about the game they represent in some way, so figuring out which one it is is the hard part.

I'm stumped. I could only get as far as it being (maybe) a red label Atari game, since that's the only one I can think of where the name of the console is actually on the end label.

The problem is, most labels "lie" about the game they represent in some way, so figuring out which one it is is the hard part.

You kind of have to be stumped because if I made it much more easier then it would give it away.

In my opinion, this lie is beyond the others and a different category. It isn't an astronaut on Super Breakout kind of lie.

If you saw just the end label you wouldn't even know the name of the game. Only for some people though.

Midnight Magic?

:)

1) The cart lies about the game.

A joystick game with paddle controllers in the art.

2) The game lies about the cart.

It says that Midnight Magic is called Midnite Magic.

3) And for some, the only thing the end label is honest about is what console it is for.

Some (PAL/Europe) have a very strange label variation.

post-28856-0-16669900-1346610742_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-12551400-1346610764_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A link to the recap of the games so far. Plus Spacechase.

Next:

1. Definitely not Crack'ed.
  2. Might not have sold very well in Canada.

man if i was around at the time i would have gotten it from the first clue alone!!