IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 5 Round 13 Special Round

zylon

I have tried and tried to beat my 66,406 score in Beamrider, but just can't get there. This was the closest I came...I had too many ships to fit on the screen when I took this screenshot and I was only entering Sector 17 with a score of 54,030. Surprisingly, I didn't even make it to 60,000 on this round...I started dying right and left after this...guess I got too over confident that I'd make it and started taking too many chances.

post-9212-0-97772600-1345915082_thumb.png

One day to go update with a tie for 1st. In the case of ties, combined score from the 3 main event games will be the deciding factor.

As of now, peedenmark7 is edging out "J" by virtue of higher overall score, but the "champ" is coming up fast...

So far, only 2 GORF scores for the pick the next round poll challenge and remember that next week will be a break week heading into Labor day weekend.

Standings/Round Points totals: With just 1 day to go!

peedenmark7 - 26 (598,455)

JacobZu7zu7 - 26 (517,998)

sdamon - 23

zylon - 21

jblenkle - 19

roadrunner - 18

atariron82 - 16

Liduario - 13

Edited by zylon

Round Points totals: FINALS

peedenmark7 - 30-/ (+3 HSC pts)+11=14 (set new HSC records for Beamrider and Millipede)

JacobZu7zu7 - 25-/ (+1 HSC pt)+10=11

sdamon - 21 (549,610)-/ +9

atariron82 - 21 (526,034)-/ +8

zylon - 20-/ (+1HSC pt)+7=8 (set new HSC records for SI games 5 and 12)

jblenkle - 17-/ (+1 HSC pt)+6=7

roadrunner - 16-/+5

Liduario - 12-/ +4

Congrats to peedenmark7 for being this year's shootout champ and setting two new records. :thumbsup: :)

atariron82 may PM me with 2 games he'd like to see in the next round's poll. pick some good ones so I can start R-14 during the weekend. We'll be on a short break until then. :)

I hope everyone enjoyed our little festivities.

Edited by zylon

Zylon,

Thanks ! I am pleasantly surprised, ecstatic & exhausted... I played up until about an hour before it ended. Having had some controller issues and a 6 day break this week while waiting for parts from Best , all while watching scores go up , was nerve racking !!

BIG congrats to Jbenkle for breaking and giving me one hell of a run on Beamrider. I'm glad that I took my HSC bust point early in the round , figuring that the 61K score I mustered shortly there after would be enough, only to see nearly 67K hit before I could even post it !!!!!!!

Saturday was 5 hours of non stop Beamrider and after 2 weeks of wondering what the heck happened to me, my game play returned and I re-found my groove. Whew that was close !

Personal 5200 best on Gyruss. Been to Earth on the C64 version , but until this round was never ever able to break about 220k [years ago] on the 5200, man the kamikaze ships get crazy at Mars.

Our champs' score pushed me to work harder on this than ever before, looking for bonus points rather than simply clearing a screen and moving on.

I wonder if the Doctorclu score will ever fall .

I love Millipede !!! This is a game in my normal practice rotation[ all 3 are really]. I love all the crazy crap going on !! I felt real good coming in, so after getting Beamrider back, I had the extra day to focus fully on this one.

EDITED to add that, I still suck at Space Invaders ! Gonna have to make the time to improve as this is truly a mainstay in the library.

Big thanks to Zylon for letting me bend his ear during the round, and for putting on some great tournaments !

Edited by peedenmark7

Congrats on the win and those amazing scores, peedenmark! Beamrider surely is a game that require a certain "groove", and I sure couldn't find it this time around! Your score on that game is stunning, and I'd say it may well be safer than doctorclu's Gyruss score.

Bah!...grin...I thought I had Beamrider in the bag...it's a tough game to master, but like you said, once you get in the groove...my big problem is playing it on emulation and my PCs joystick is starting to get a little loose. Often when I'd try firing a torpedo at the "Sector Sentinel", it either wouldn't fire or I'd go skittering across the screen to the left and get blown up.

The secret in this game is to collect a lot of extra ships as early as you can. That way your score really shoots up in later rounds. And, of course, don't get yourself cornered to the left or right...try staying in the middle of the screen.

This is the third version I've played recently (ColecoVision and Intellevisision)...I finally trained myself if you do get cornered to use your torpedoes to blow up oncoming objects until you can move over. At least that way you don't lose a ship.

BIG congrats to Jbenkle for breaking and giving me one hell of a run on Beamrider. I'm glad that I took my HSC bust point early in the round , figuring that the 61K score I mustered shortly there after would be enough, only to see nearly 67K hit before I could even post it !!!!!!!

Saturday was 5 hours of non stop Beamrider and after 2 weeks of wondering what the heck happened to me, my game play returned and I re-found my groove. Whew that was close !

Bah!...grin...I thought I had Beamrider in the bag...it's a tough game to master, but like you said, once you get in the groove...my big problem is playing it on emulation and my PCs joystick is starting to get a little loose. Often when I'd try firing a torpedo at the "Sector Sentinel", it either wouldn't fire or I'd go skittering across the screen to the left and get blown up.

The secret in this game is to collect a lot of extra ships as early as you can. That way your score really shoots up in later rounds. And, of course, don't get yourself cornered to the left or right...try staying in the middle of the screen.

This is the third version I've played recently (ColecoVision and Intellevisision)...I finally trained myself if you do get cornered to use your torpedoes to blow up oncoming objects until you can move over. At least that way you don't lose a ship.

Agreed ! Ive finally gotten used to burning up one torpedo if need be to save my ship. I like to have 2 torpedo's for the sentinel just in case I miss it the 1st try.. Ive found that I sometimes need all 3 to get through the line to get at the sentinel as well.. Again timing and groove.

I am sure we shall meet in space again :)

Glad everyone enjoyed themselves. :) Since there was more interest, Space Invaders Game 1 will be in a future round poll as a regular game, as well as the ones that didn't make the cut this year.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping the 5200 gauntlet project continues and makes it to the HSC this season....