IGNORED

WTB: Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer,1977 Sunnyvale (non-Sears) + 2 joy + 2 paddle

Domino8282

Hello all,

I'm new to these forums, but I'm an avid classic gamer, and I'm ready to step back a decade into the joy that is Atari. Having done some reading and being a collector at heart, it seems clear that to "do this right" I need to buy an Atari 2600 Woodgrain Heavy Sixer (1977, Sunnyvale) with original controllers. I don't care about boxes, manual would be nice but not necessary. Not looking for any games to start unless they are complete in box. While I don't collect my consoles CIB, I *do* collect my games CIB. It's also important to me that the console be in very good to excellent cosmetic condition and function properly. Finally, I'm wanting to get two of the original joysticks that make the lovely "clicking" sound when pressing the red button, and two of the original tennis paddles that have the Atari logo rather than the word "paddle." Hookups for modern-day televisions would be a plus but if not, I can scrounge that separately.

If you have all of the above, please reply or PM me ASAP!

To summarize, WTB:

- 1 original Atari 2600 Woodgrain (NOT Sears) "Heavy Sixer" (1977, made in Sunnyvale)

- without box is fine, manual would be nice, but not crucial

- must work properly and be in very good cosmetic condition

- 2 original joysticks (the kind with the red buttons that "click")

- 2 original tennis paddles (the kind with Atari logo instead of word "paddle")

- Not interested in pack-in games unless they are complete with box; while I don't collect console boxes per se, I only collect 100% complete games

Thank you everyone for your time and hospitality!!

(Edit: I now see that there is a separate "Wanted" sub forum. If any mods would be so kind as to move this post there, I would greatly appreciate it! Sorry for the oversight!)

Edited by Domino8282
  • Like 1

Welcome to AtariAge, and to the forums! Always nice to have more people on the good-ship-ATARI.

I am certain you will find someone who has a suitable unit for you - - I only have one Heavy, myself, and I am somewhat attached to it! I'm actually on the fence on the original CX-10 controllers with the springs in them, though. They are sort of noisy, and not as smooth as I prefer.

I'm a big fan of the CX-40s with new "gold-dot" PCBs from BEST ELECTRONICS, instead.

Oh, that reminds me, if you have no luck here, BEST ELECTRONICS (link to site) would happily sell you a nice, clean, working Heavy Sixer, too. Definitely worth looking at! Don't be put off by the appearance of the website, either - - content over appearance is the goal there . . .

Good luck in the hunt, enjoy your stay, and game on!

-a2a

Edited by atari2atari
  • Like 1

I have one but it's dirty. Price would reflect that, not looking to get rich since it's just a spare I picked up in a lot purchase...let me know. If you clean it up it should look fine. Sticks would be aftermarket though :) It would be cheap, like $30 or so shipped depending on the clean up involved :)

• Like 1

I have one but it's dirty. Price would reflect that, not looking to get rich since it's just a spare I picked up in a lot purchase...let me know. If you clean it up it should look fine. Sticks would be aftermarket though :) It would be cheap, like $30 or so shipped depending on the clean up involved :)

Hey thanks for the offer but I'm thinking I might have better luck if I buy the system together with the controllers. Correct me if I'm wrong - but wouldn't it be harder to find the original CX-10 joysticks and the original tennis paddles w/Atari logo separately rather than together with a heavy sixer? I'm a total noob at this, so if you guys think that buying a dirty console and finding the original controllers separate is easier and way cheaper overall, lemme know and I'll certainly take you up on it. Just trying to make sure I achieve my goal above with the least heartache possible. ;)

By the way, that BEST ELECTRONICS website is crazy!! More than slightly overwhelming... might just e-mail the owner of that site explaining what I'm after because trying to navigate that site is a beast! :)

Hey thanks for the offer but I'm thinking I might have better luck if I buy the system together with the controllers. Correct me if I'm wrong - but wouldn't it be harder to find the original CX-10 joysticks and the original tennis paddles w/Atari logo separately rather than together with a heavy sixer? I'm a total noob at this, so if you guys think that buying a dirty console and finding the original controllers separate is easier and way cheaper overall, lemme know and I'll certainly take you up on it. Just trying to make sure I achieve my goal above with the least heartache possible. ;)

By the way, that BEST ELECTRONICS website is crazy!! More than slightly overwhelming... might just e-mail the owner of that site explaining what I'm after because trying to navigate that site is a beast! :)

Ha! :D You're not the first, nor will you be the the last, to comment thusly on Bradley Koda's fascinating website!

Yes, calling him is best, he can help better in person.

Here's a few links to get to the conversation started, though - -

http://www.best-elec...ca.com/2600.htm

I don't think he lists his Heavy Sixers on the website, but I am SURE he has some in stock. Again, better discussed in person . . .

The other person you might want to give a go is our very own LittleJoe (link to profile), who has modded systems, and may have a Heavy on-hand, with an A/V mod already installed, too!

http://electronicsen...ed Systems.html

You could PM him, too.

Regarding piecing it together versus "finding it as a set," honestly most sellers will charge a "premium" for a "complete" set - - although it is likely that they themselves pieced it together for the sale!

You might just have to do what all of us die-hard collectors have done - - get your Heavy Sixer "base," and then you keep an eye out, and over the years you get your CX-10 controllers and original ATARI-logo CX-30 paddles as you see them!

As they say . . . welcome to the club! You pay a premium for the "pre-made" sets, OR you can sit back and enjoy the "hunt" with the rest of us! ;) It's more fun, and rewarding, than you might imagine! It's always great to finally "score" that little McGubbins you had been searching for . . . :D

-a2a

Edited by atari2atari
  • Like 2

Wow A2A thank you for all the information! Maybe you're correct, and "the hunt" is the right way to go about this. :) Hey Crazy Climber, if you're still watching this thread, would you mind posting a pic of the H6'er you mentioned just so I can get an idea of how rough it's looking? I've had pretty good success on gnarly consoles using a magic eraser and some elbow grease,... is that the situation we're lookin at here, or is this going to require some buffing, touch-up paint, etc.?

I also put in an e-mail to Bradley Koda's website. If that doesn't pan out I'll shoot him a phone call. ;)

Cheers!

• Like 1

Agreed, very nicely put A2A. It may be cheaper to piece it together but it's definitely worth the chase! Golden Ax (the.Golden.Ax) may have some CX-10's or CX-30's too, he's an AA member you could try a PM to him. He's a nice guy and won't rip you off either.

Just keep a look out on eXtortion Bay as well - sometimes people put ridiculously low BIN prices because they want the system GONE! I was able to score a boxed Sears Video Arcade II with working controllers (minus power supply but I had another PS that fit the bill) for $20 on evil bay just because the guy couldn't test it and he wanted it out of his garage.

Anythiing is possible if you JUST BELIEVE :D

PS - you may have to step back JUST A BIT more than a decade for Atari 2600 goodness. A decade ago would be 2002 (geez Louise! 10 years ago is ONLY 2002!) and I think that the last official 2600 NTSC machine released by Atari was the Jr. in 1987 or something like that (maybe I'm wrong - wouldn't be the first time). Anyway, enjoy your quest!

Edited by jtoubeaux

Wow A2A thank you for all the information! Maybe you're correct, and "the hunt" is the right way to go about this. :) Hey Crazy Climber, if you're still watching this thread, would you mind posting a pic of the H6'er you mentioned just so I can get an idea of how rough it's looking? I've had pretty good success on gnarly consoles using a magic eraser and some elbow grease,... is that the situation we're lookin at here, or is this going to require some buffing, touch-up paint, etc.?

I also put in an e-mail to Bradley Koda's website. If that doesn't pan out I'll shoot him a phone call. ;)

Cheers!

I'll take a closer look this week, I honestly can't remember and it's in a box somewhere :) I seem to remember it just being "dirty" and I didn't want to deal with it ;)

• Like 1

Cheers!

I'll take a closer look this week, I honestly can't remember and it's in a box somewhere :) I seem to remember it just being "dirty" and I didn't want to deal with it ;)

I'm actually leaning more towards getting my base heavy sixer from you now... Looking all over eBay, etc., the prices are ridiculous.

Ha! :D You're not the first, nor will you be the the last, to comment thusly on Bradley Koda's fascinating website!

Yes, calling him is best, he can help better in person.

Here's a few links to get to the conversation started, though - -

http://www.best-elec...ca.com/2600.htm

I don't think he lists his Heavy Sixers on the website, but I am SURE he has some in stock. Again, better discussed in person . . .

The other person you might want to give a go is our very own LittleJoe (link to profile), who has modded systems, and may have a Heavy on-hand, with an A/V mod already installed, too!

http://electronicsen...ed Systems.html

You could PM him, too.

Regarding piecing it together versus "finding it as a set," honestly most sellers will charge a "premium" for a "complete" set - - although it is likely that they themselves pieced it together for the sale!

You might just have to do what all of us die-hard collectors have done - - get your Heavy Sixer "base," and then you keep an eye out, and over the years you get your CX-10 controllers and original ATARI-logo CX-30 paddles as you see them!

As they say . . . welcome to the club! You pay a premium for the "pre-made" sets, OR you can sit back and enjoy the "hunt" with the rest of us! ;) It's more fun, and rewarding, than you might imagine! It's always great to finally "score" that little McGubbins you had been searching for . . . :D

-a2a

I think I will most likely go the pieced-together route. One bit of sad news - Bradley Koda said he ran out of Heavy Sixers 8-10 months ago. Also, he said (tell me anyone if you disagree) that they do not carry or package CX-10 joysticks with any of their systems because of their horrible failure rate, which he says is the reason Atari switched them for a newer design so quickly. Should I be going for the newer model joysticks instead then? I thought the consensus was that the CX-10's had a better feel to them.

I'm going to have some systems for sale soon including a heavy sixer with sticks/paddles & games. I'm in NY right now but will be heading back to SC tomorrow and should have everything up with pics by the weekend.

Peace,

Chip

Dude, that rocks. Are they the original CX-10 sticks and Atari-logo paddles? Can't wait to see what you have =D

Hey everyone, still waiting to hear back from Marillion and Crazy Climber. One of my options at the moment is to buy a pre-modded H6 (composite video) but that would be for the console only.

If I end up going the à la carte route, I'd need to find the following piecemeal:

- Original Grey H6'er AC Adapter

- 2x original CX-10 H6er joysticks

- 2x original CX-30 paddles w/Atari logo

So if anybody has any of those parts they'd be willing to sell, please post here or PM also. Thanks!

One other question: I was thinking of buying some boxed (new old stock) games from Best Electronics to go with my gorgeous H6'er once I have her. Can anyone suggest some good titles to start my collection? I'm embarrassed to say, but I was born in 1982 and was raised on NES, so aside from a few Atari games I played at the arcade, I'm a virgin to most of this stuff.

Bah lost an auction for exactly what I was after to someone with zero feedback on eBay... It had original box and manual and went for over $290. There are two more auctions I'm watching. One is also with original box and manual and the other is the one linked two posts up.

If I don't have luck with either of those, I'll be buying everything separate - which means I will still need to find two CX-10 joysticks, Atari logo paddles, and original grey AC adapter. So if anyone has any of those items for sale individually please let me know.

Hopefully I will win one of those lots I mentioned. I have been obsessing over this 24/7 for days now and wish I just had the dang things ordered, regardless lol...

There is an auction on ebay that has your name on it, its not my auction although it does have all you need on your wish list if you are still interested in buying all at once.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2610772595331?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=261077259533&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Hey man just want to thank you as it looks like this seller is going to allow me to use buy-it-now (although it didn't originally have that option). So soon I will be the proud owner of the system, two original Atari logo paddles, two original CX-10's, original AC adapter, original manual, and even a Stunt Cycle with manual.

I wasn't even really looking for the Stunt Cycle so I may just resell that part. Now all I'm looking for (will post a new thread) are original Atari logo driving paddles (extremely hard to find), and some original touch pad controllers. Oh yeah, and time to buy lots of CIB games! :)