IGNORED

Poor quality Telegames re-releases?

madman

So last week I ordered a new copy of Breakout 2000...what came was what basically looked like a booleg version. Crappy flimsy box that looked like it was created from a scan and not original artwork (it had "LIMITED EDITION" added on it) and a cart label that is not at all like the original Telegames labels and is CLEARLY a cheap inkjet job. Is this how Telegames is re-releasing these limited titles?

I just got the same edition from Telegames UK yesterday. Telegames has never been known for their packaging but I agree that old the red and black label was better. The copy of Worms that I received has the poorest quality instructions that I've ever seen and the screw on the upper right of the cart looks to be poking ough the label. I'm debating on whether to hassle with a return but these things aren't cheap.

Edited by atariLBC

i was thinking about ordering a copy of B2K but maybe not. Might just grab one off ebay if I see a decent price. While their labels and manuals have never been the most attractive I've always though they had nice high quality boxes up to par with the original Atari releases.

Edited by Willard

So last week I ordered a new copy of Breakout 2000...what came was what basically looked like a booleg version. Crappy flimsy box that looked like it was created from a scan and not original artwork (it had "LIMITED EDITION" added on it) and a cart label that is not at all like the original Telegames labels and is CLEARLY a cheap inkjet job. Is this how Telegames is re-releasing these limited titles?

Can we see a scan of the box and cart?

telegames uk is still in operation,but they are stupidly expensive and all the re-releases are now poor quality at a high price, i got the lynx version of double dragon and it was nothing like the ones they used to sell! Although they work fine, they all look like a poor home printed effort.

Just bear it in mind when you order any of their exclusive titles on any format!

At first I thought the 'Limited Edition' packaging was just a way to try to get the more enthusiastic collectors to fork out for everything again, but now it seems like a handy way to avoid disappointment :/ I realise Telegames in the UK don't have the resources they once had (I got the idea it might just be one guy on his own these days - that's just an impression, not fact) but where collectibles are concerned, it's best to do it right without cutting corners on quality of materials. they could do worse than having a word with Gaztee about having some proper boxes and manuals made up, his stuff is more than up to the job.

In all the dealings I've had with Telegames UK, from buying brand new Jaguar games back in 1994 to buying brand new Jag CDs and 100s of jaguar cart cases over the last few years, I've only had positive experiences (and when things did go wrong, they were put right without any fuss). Maybe it'd be best to contact Telegames if you've had any of these newer productions and aren't happy with them - unless they get feedback they won't be able to put things right in future.

• Like 3

"Still in operation" is a bit of a stretch. It's a one man operation now and basically with the exception of their own Lynx and Jaguar games that they are now reprinting poorly, they don't have any of the thousands of items listed in their inventory in stock. As near as I can tell, the guy that runs it does so out of some type of holiday campground he owns (the address pops up in various UK resort guides) and basically it is just a sideline to his main business. I believe Telegames US is an entirely different entity now and they develop and publish for handheld platforms and have no back stock to sell from the Jaguar/Lynx days.

telegames uk is still in operation,but they are stupidly expensive and all the re-releases are now poor quality at a high price, i got the lynx version of double dragon and it was nothing like the ones they used to sell! Although they work fine, they all look like a poor home printed effort.

Just bear it in mind when you order any of their exclusive titles on any format!

Can we see a scan of the box and cart?

Yea, I'm on the road for work right now, but either tonight or tomorrow I'll scan them. Honestly had I known the quality I would've just waited for a copy to show up on EBay. I realize low volume runs are pricier than commercial carts, but this is honestly worse than many "repro" carts I've seen made.

Here are two scans from the box, I will have to take a pic with a camera of the cart as it doesn't lay flat to get a proper scan. It's hard to tell based on the full box image, but after looking closely, the art/text other than "Limited Edition" is clearly a re-print of a scan. If you've ever used a color copier or bought a bootleg PSX game back in the day with copied artwork, it looks like that. I've included a zoom in of the Atari logo to show the (lack of) detail in the quality of the print.

EDIT: After looking at the scan in the Box Scans database here on AA, it's actually quite obvious how poor quality this box is.

B2000Forum.jpg

B2000Atari.jpg

Edited by madman
  • Like 2

That's an awful looking repro. Most offensive is the screen shot of the game in the lower left. Jeez... even our beloved modern home brewers produce much better quality than that. Telegames should hook up with some of them and do the job right. I'd be pissed paying those kinds of prices and then having that show up in the mail. :mad:

I have been very hesitant to buy anything from Telegames because they are known for their low quality. It's really sad that a company that pretty much lives by the retro gamers and collectors puts so little effort in their products. Even Homebrewers often do packaging etc much better than Telegames. This is not so much a question of cost, but a question of care.

The irony of Telegames low-quality these days is that less will be sold and it will make them rarer (the later low-quality ones) and eventually selling for 10 times what they cost now, once they are out of production forever, and the older stuff with better quality will be more affordable.

Edited by Gunstar

i personally do not see the reprint becoming more valuable but that's just my opinion. telegames may still be around peddling retro atari games long after most of us are 6 feet under :lol: at any rate this print is bound to be less common than the initial print because the original run was meant for retail sale. but i think people also care about quality too as evidenced by this thread.

• Like 1

The irony of Telegames low-quality these days is that less will be sold and it will make them rarer (the later low-quality ones) and eventually selling for 10 times what they cost now, once they are out of production forever, and the older stuff with better quality will be more affordable.

I am now taking offers for my Breakout 2000 Limited Edition cart, starting at only 3x what it costs now :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the same edition from Telegames UK yesterday. Telegames has never been known for their packaging but I agree that old the red and black label was better. The copy of Worms that I received has the poorest quality instructions that I've ever seen and the screw on the upper right of the cart looks to be poking ough the label. I'm debating on whether to hassle with a return but these things aren't cheap.

UPDATE: I decided to return the Worms cart and instructions. It cost too much to let the quality pass. Pete at Telegames UK was understanding and professional regarding the return request. He agreed to accept the return and send a better copy. After two weeks of waiting, I now have a clean copy of Worms with professionally printed instructions.