IGNORED

ZZap! 64 issue 1, top C64 programmers say A8 is best

high voltage

diet cola = cancer in a can

To what scientific study does this refer? [sorry, off-topic, but as C64 and A8 coders may drink diet cola, it's still somewhat relevant]

Don't touch anything with artificial sweetners, especially Aspartame. Edited by Tezz

Fizzy drinks are for game players.

Real programmers drink coffee. The first 10% is drank hot. Then the stimulant rush kicks in and 45 minutes of hot coding results. Then you realise you've got a coffee sitting there and drink the remainder cold.

[sob] i had to give up coffee... still, making tea fills the gaps when you stop coding to think about how to implement/fix something.

Cola = diabetes in a can

i'd just like to point out that i disagree with this statement...

...they come in bottles too!

I was a Coca-Cola addict until June the 20th (that momentous day) when I stopped drinking that drink. I was on around 2L a day on average, sometimes more.

Since then I've lost 11 pounds (4.5 kg?) in weight, my ability to concentrate has improved and I'm saving a small fortune. The weight loss was a mere side-effect of quitting all that sugar.

Now I don't need to sleep so much either (sounds counter-intuitive with it containing caffeine, but still), so that gives me more time to code.

Edited by snicklin
  • Like 1

Back on topic, the atari clearly has its advantages as well. That lovely display list (similar to amiga copper) allowing solid raster splits horizontally/vertically etc without any of the type of timer trickery used on the c64.

Extra processing speed 1.79mhz vs 0.998 or so and ability to have more freely range of colors (and barely any overhead in scrolling) is ofcourse a must as well

Where the c64 excels in is its ability to have many colors in hires (320x200) without using any graphical trickery. With software graphical tricks, more tighter packed colors using FLI/sprite underlay/overlay modes in hires. Color palette is limited to 16 colors, but these color choices are far better than the saturated colors in the amstrad and spectrum

Larger sprites and the SID audio chip is also a good plus

Overall each machine has its plus and minus points

• Like 2

Cola = diabetes in a can

i'd just like to point out that i disagree with this statement...

...they come in bottles too!

This is true!

Also doing a horizontal pic of a bottle of coke works best for A8 and a vertical pic of a coke bottle on C64 is better suited. :)

• Like 2

Gotta love those old ZZAP!s

Ataritop.jpg

Sorry but this is from 1985.

Almost all the games after that if 2D, scrolling and sprites you wouldn't see they say it again.When they start to see only 4/5 mono coloured 8pixels wide PMGs and to get a 5th colour only limited to just 128chars charset...

Sometimes I start thinking if A8 had a stronger market how would they get games like R-Type on A8... Or even the Racing games like Turbo or Out-Run...

Edited by José Pereira