IGNORED

Is the Xbox 360 still worth buying now?

neko123

I thought the 360S was reliable. Not good to know. Any idea what failed, or if it was a common failure? Glad you got back on the road again, shortly, however!

I have no Idea what happened to it. I could have sworn I posted about it here, but I can't seem to find the post. It just got glitchy. It would randomly turn itself on, then it would get to where it would turn itself off, then on and off. If it was just turning off I would have said it was overheating, but why would it turn itself on? Could have sworn I asked about it here, but nobody could tell me anything about it (though I think someone mentioned the original xbox had some power switch issue that was similar)

Anyhow, it finally got to where it wouldn't stay on more than a minute at a time and I just got a new system.

Sounds like the issues the original XBOX had with bad motherboard traces. That's what mine had, was not the power supply. MS quality control is frankly hideous.

I have no Idea what happened to it. I could have sworn I posted about it here, but I can't seem to find the post. It just got glitchy. It would randomly turn itself on, then it would get to where it would turn itself off, then on and off. If it was just turning off I would have said it was overheating, but why would it turn itself on? Could have sworn I asked about it here, but nobody could tell me anything about it (though I think someone mentioned the original xbox had some power switch issue that was similar)

Anyhow, it finally got to where it wouldn't stay on more than a minute at a time and I just got a new system.

• 7 months later...

I hope so! I just bought one yesterday and some games to go with it:

I just got an Xbox 360, so I just bought a library to add to the games I've been buying to play at my friend's house on his system...now I can play on mine
Lego Indiana Jones the Original Adventures
16062328373_83a7b07964_z.jpg
Ninja Gaiden II
16681806145_4af665d1ed_z.jpg
Brutal Legend
16494404440_9bd8bfe779_z.jpg
Marvel VS. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
16059467004_a589e1c350_z.jpg
Soul Calibur V
16494398900_748888af2c_z.jpg
Lego Batman, The Video Game
16680785672_2c0dd63a5f_z.jpg

Finally took the plunge on the 360 over the holidays as I was always a PS3 person. Figured It would be a system I would want to own someday but preferred to buy one new with the past reliability issues. Sold the pack in games so I ended up paying about $157 with tax for the 500 GB newest slim. Might have found a better deal if I waited longer but since the One has been out for awhile I think we are at the end of the line. So many games to get, I may never go next-gen, and I have not even gamed in HD yet playing all the shooters on my vertical CRT (Raiden Fighters Aces, Dodonpachi, etc.). Someday will get into Forza and stuff like that in HD.

Not sure how I missed this topic...

I picked up a special edition Halo 4 model around Christmas for $200.00. With a trade in, it cost me nothing. The only gripes were the game was missing (already had it, fortunately), one controller was missing, and the power supply overheats (did a quick fix on that with an exterior small fan). Otherwise, the system is in pristine condition for being used. Since that day, I now have 26 games in my library and I see no sign of slowing down on purchasing more.

Sure, there are some games I felt like I had to have (the more recent titles, like Destiny, for example), but the majority cost under $20.00. This has been a great alternative to my desktop that decided to die 6 months back on me, so now I can play Skyrim and other games again. Especially Diablo 3, since I don't need to be online for that (moot point...Destiny is an online game only and my connection is on par).Some of the games I have at the moment are:

Destiny

Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition

Mass Effect 1,2,3

Gears of War Triple Pack and Gears of War 3

The Elder Scrolls 5: Legendary Edition

Borderlands Game of the Year Edition

Borderlands 2

Bioshock

Bioshock 2

Great games, good prices, and an excellent system to have for more modern gaming.

Steve

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I was reminded how much fun I had with my 360 when I was over at my ex-wife's to take the daughter to school. I chose the PS3 over the 360 for its media capabilities and some of the games and left the 360 with Kinect so my daughter could play it.

Anyway, we usually have over an hour before I have to take her to school so we usually play a game together. She wanted to play Super Mario 3D World but we couldn't find the disc. I saw a layer of dust on the Kinect so I asked if she wanted to play the "building smashing game" (ie Kinect Party). She said yes and so I fired up the system and there we were, digging sand for treasure or kicking popcorn and smacking chocolate and doing funny poses. It was a lot of fun.

It was a kicker to see the games I had on there like After Burner Climax, DLC Quest, Arcade Craft, Minecraft, both classic Tron games, Shadow Conspiracy, White Noise and more. So of course the thought of maybe getting my own has crossed my mind, even though I'll be dumping most of my collection in the coming weeks.

It took awhile, but I found a good niche with my Xbox 360. With the release of Dragon Age: Inquisition, the system is far more appreciated now than I had originally thought about. I picked up and completed some series of games, but still have many more to go. The first 3 months of owning was an all-out "get the games" fest. Now I've relaxed a bit and am just playing what I have, so between this and my old classics, I'm in a good gaming position with much to experience.

And using an HDMI cable to hook it up to my 19" monitor? Priceless.

• 2 weeks later...

if your on a budget that prevents going for a newer console (I'm not sure about forwards compatbility of 360 games which could be a factor here) then certainly. I'm still enjoying one I have access to (borrowed from a friend) quite a few games I've not played at great prices and a handful of recently released titles at reasonable prices that will likely come down in price as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder about exactly how long the production run will continue, but that's always the question at the "end" of the system's life span. I really don't care if they pull the plug on it, as long as I can find the games after and keep collecting for it, like any other "past" system. I'm even thinking of getting a spare system to have, just in case the Halo system dies on me down the road. I take pretty good care of it, however, so I don't foresee that happening in the immediate future.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aw, dead thread....or dying anyway. :(

Well, I've just obtained a model E, which I like the way they designed it. Not curved as the S is, but still damn sexy. No touch buttons, though...probably better, as with my model S, I was constantly opening the disc drive without meaning to.

• 8 years later...

All original model Xbox 360s but the very last Jasper-boarded ones are ticking time bombs. They will break, and no amount of repair will stop them from breaking again. Go with S or E series.

I went through 13 in 6 year period between white and black models, all sent back to MS in cardboard coffins during the extended warranty process. When my last working Elite died outside that warranty, I gave up on the system.

Other than that, great library of games, and many exclusive gems. Microsoft's best console notwithstanding the paper mache innards of the original design.

• Like 1