IGNORED

130XE Memory upgrade.

dabone

I just got my first atari 8 bit this year and it's a unmodded 130xe, I see some games and alot of demos need more ram, and I'm a bit confused

about the standards for memory upgrades.

I found this upgrade online.

http://atari.a8maest...ball/ballhc.htm

I'm very experienced with soldering and I already have all the parts, is this a good upgrade to perform? Will it work with most of the demos?

Thanks,

Later,

dabone

• Thanks 1

• 5 years later...

I have just installed the Peterson 320K upgrade in an Atari 130XE. When I attempt to use DOS 2.5 and the RAMDISK set up runs on the boot-up, I am unable to get to the DOS menu. Is there a fix for this or do I have to use another DOS. I don't have any problem with MYDOS but I an not really familiar with it and I would really prefer to stick with DOS 2.5. I don't use DOS enough to need to know several different systems.

Probably should test the new addition to see if there

are problems with it first?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/189604-small-thing-memtest-10-1996-jaku-b/?do=findComment&comment=3815398

I'm suspicious, never heard of a problem with DOS 2.5

RAMDISK.COM before this. Should take right off and

run for you. Unless the above is an issue.

I don't use DOS 2.5 very much since the ramdisk driver

in MyDOS is phenomenal, but before the Newell 1 meg

went in I too was a confirmed DOS 2.5 user. I don't

recall any such issues that presented like a brick

wall when the newell was new. I was able to use DOS

2.5 for a good while until the writing on the wall

was undeniable. It worked but it didn't work to

full capacity IIRC, and we are going back to 94

so pretty foggy at best.

• 7 months later...

I have fixed the problem with the 320K upgrade, I don't actually remember what I did. I just took it apart and redid everything and it worked with no problems. I would like to have the 320K upgrade and a UAV device but the 320K upgrade has a chip piggybacked on the 4050 chip and that is where the UAV goes also. Is there a way around this. I suspect that the 320K upgrade piggyback is just for power but I don't know for sure. Is there another way to install the 320K that doesn't involve a piggyback on the 4050 or maybe uses another chip to piggyback on.

How many pins are connected in this piggyback? The 4050 buffers the luma outputs, no reason why it needs to be part of a RAM upgrade. There's plenty of power and GND sources you can get elsewhere if that's the only thing it's for.

But... I'm fairly sure there's an unused input on our 4050, the default use is CSync + 4 luma bits which = 5 of 6 inputs used.