IGNORED

What's It Worth? Arcadia Supercharger?

PFL

I've got a bid on eBay just now for an Arcadia Supercharger with Stella Gets a New Brain 2.0. It's sitting at $125 plus $50 postage. Is that a reasonable price or is it way over the odds? I know I've already put the bid in but I'm just curious. :)

Yeah, that's definitely a lot of money for a Supercharger... is the Stella disc really rare or something?

From what I understand Stella is a bit rare. I haven't bothered to look for a copy. I would say that is more than a bit much for the supercharger, not sure about Stella though. I don't think that disc will make the difference in price, but I have been wrong before.

$50 postage? Where in this great wide world do you live PFL? :lol:

The Supercharger is one of the coolest add ons for the 2600 and the Stella CD is a must for any collector. I remember the whole CyberPuNKS / Bridgestone negotiations on the newsgroups back in the day. Fun stuff and neat to have "been there" during the development of this. I've got version 2.0 of the Stella disc. Has several extra homebrew releases from back in the day, as well as the Atari Polo .bin by Carol Shaw to play.

As to the value of this stuff, yeah - I too remember being able to purchase the Starpath Supercharger NIB for $30-$50 10 or more years ago, but that was then. Still, seems like they fetch $30-$50 loose today. No idea what the Stella CD is worth, but glad to see she's worth lots! :lol:

This kind of rang a bell, so I checked my archived purchases on eBay. Several months ago, I purchased a CIB supercharger with 5 CIB supercharger games + the Stella disc and manual for less than $60 shipped... so I'm inclined to think that this auction may be more than a little overpriced :P

Wow coincidentally I just found this supercharger with some Brazilian tapes in local market for around $100 but it comes with the atari console :-D

Maybe I'll take it just for the supercharger and games.

In that case I'd like to know if it's possible to record my tapes from my .bin game files or from some internet source. Yes, not the original, not the labels but I'm playing Atari from tapes :thumbsup:

Wow coincidentally I just found this supercharger with some Brazilian tapes in local market for around $100 but it comes with the atari console :-D

In that case I'd like to know if it's possible to record my tapes from my .bin game files or from some internet source. Yes, not the original, not the labels but I'm playing Atari from tapes :thumbsup:

I know people have used the Supercharger as a multicart in the past. I haven't bother because I had a Harmony before the Supercharger. I have copied some tapes to MP3 and play my Supercharger games from MP3 instead of dealing with a tape player all the time. From time to time I do use the tape player just for the fun of it, but not very often.

• Like 1

I know people have used the Supercharger as a multicart in the past. I haven't bother because I had a Harmony before the Supercharger. I have copied some tapes to MP3 and play my Supercharger games from MP3 instead of dealing with a tape player all the time. From time to time I do use the tape player just for the fun of it, but not very often.

Same here. Used my Supercharger with a portable CD player, tapes recorded to mp3 or the Stella CD... never had to rely on a tapes themselves into the Supercharger.

That's really cool.

But how do you put your games in MP3? Can you do it only for Starpath games or with every game?

And I'm very surprised with the mp3 format, this should loss data as it does with music :-o

That's really cool.

But how do you put your games in MP3? Can you do it only for Starpath games or with every game?

And I'm very surprised with the mp3 format, this should loss data as it does with music :-o

I had access to a converter that would record audio from a tape or record to MP3 and I took the chance to try a theory I had. It works but I can't get into a lot of detail because I just don't really know. I'm guessing that the date being transmitted in the audio just isn't that complex as to loose enough to matter in the MP3 format. You can also record higher quality MP3s than most people bother with, and seeing as how these tapes are very short it takes no extra space worth thinking about to record at the highest level.

When I started doing this I was actually shocked that these games weren't out there in MP3 (or other digital format) to be downloaded as ROMs are. Surly many people have done this in the past, but no one has uploaded them anywhere that I ever found.

So I have spent the last hour working on converting Supercharger tapes to MP3s you could use without any special equipment. I'm nothing yet having much luck, but I have made some good progress on this. You need a tape player, aux cable like you would use to hook an MP3 player to a CD player in a car, the game you want to move, and a program to record audio to your PC.

Just hook the tape player up and play the tape into the computer through the aux cable plugged into the microphone in (I've not seen a PC without this input in 20 years so you should be good) and record with the software you picked. I exported to 192kb MP3 on the first round and side A came closest to loading but failed to finish loading the game. I'm going to try a higher rate MP3 when I get back home tonight, and anything else I can if that doesn't work. I hope to find a good way to get this done for those that don't have access to the special equipment I used the first time when I got this to work. I'm going to figure this out.

• Like 1

as has been pointed out, that is way too high, even if it was modded. I was the one who posted the stella cd here back when we were all talking about our modded superchargers being attached to an ipod, it was great until the harmony cart came out LOL. if you're gonna spend that much, get a harmony cart.

• Like 4

Downloading right now, thanks for doing the work for me. I had looked for that some in the past and didn't find where it had been done. I have heard that CD couldn't be ripped like that. This should be freaking sweet. I hereby abandon this project and differ to those that have already done this. Your effort is much appreciated.

• Like 2

Downloading right now, thanks for doing the work for me. I had looked for that some in the past and didn't find where it had been done. I have heard that CD couldn't be ripped like that. This should be freaking sweet. I hereby abandon this project and differ to those that have already done this. Your effort is much appreciated.

No problem!

Using a harmony cart is great, but it is also fun to use the vintage Starpath still. :)

I use both my Harmony and Starpath pretty regularly for "The Official Frogger".

That title alone is worth purchasing one of these two great pieces of hardware.

Please let me know how the MP3s work out for you!

Best regards,

Trem

oh absolutely, it's great fun to load a 2600 game using an ipod and supercharger. I don't wanna sell mine. there is another download thread here with all the conversions that nukey made, check the search for supercharger, look for my name and you should find several download links for MP3s made to work with the modded supercharger