IGNORED

Some interesting proto's

Rom Hunter

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-los-angeles-1984-games_26459.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-innerspace_27172.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-elf-adventure_28556.html

Many thanks to Scott Stilphen for donating these to Atarimania.

More interesting prototype ROMs in my V8.0 collection this X-mas...

8)

• Like 5

Two questions:

1. Was Track and Field ever released in PAL format before this prototype?

2. Does the NTSC version display the alternate title if plugged into a PAL machine like the Atari 8-bit version does?

1. No, Los Angeles 1984 Games was to be the European release of Track & Field.

2. Nope.

Innerspace has different in-play graphics (the spaceship and radar stations are different).

IMO Imagic should have kept the original graphics and game title.

Innerspace sounds much cooler than Laser Gates.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Indeed, Stella doesn't accept it.

But Z26 does on my PC.

The reason for the difference is that Stella randomizes the RIOT RAM, while z26 sets it all to zero. The game only initializes certain parts of the RAM and accidentally relies on the rest to be zero. Therefore it might not work on a real VCS either.

Elf Adventure has a routine where it copies the address for an indirect jump from a ROM table to RAM. It reads the index into this table from one of the uninitialized RAM addresses. Therefore the index is incorrect in Stella most of the time, so when the game does the jump it ends up in the wrong code and crashes.

Edited by Eckhard Stolberg

Stella has a commandline argument called 'ramrandom' which fixes this. Setting it to 1 randomizes (the default), setting to 0 makes the RIOT RAM contain all zeroes. Unfortunately this isn't accessible from the UI; you need to launch from the commandline or edit the config file directly to change it. Incidentally, the reason this is a setting is that different consoles have different behaviour. My two test systems in particular (light sixer and vader) both seem to randomize RAM.

EDIT: I don't recall when I added this, so I don't know if it's in 3.5.5. I suggest upgrading to the latest version (3.7.2).

All of my consoles had randomized ram too, so this rom will crash most of the time in real hardware. I'm not sure what it will do in Harmony cart in multi-game mode because I haven't tried, but I do know the RIOT ram is fixed when using the Harmony cart like that. Still hoping one day for 7800 detection with the Harmony, but its been a long, long time...

Incidentally, I found the Colecovision 2600 adapter always had the RIOT ram initialized to all zeros.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Collisions work fine from what I see. You can steal objects that the two "faces" carry above them (and they chase and attack you to get the object back). I realise that everything is just placeholders - probably including the limited kingdom area - because this is easily expanded once the game engine is complete. I'm just trying to envision what the concept was going to be.

• 1 year later...