IGNORED

The 1982 Boscov's Atari Championships - What do you know about it?

fabman99

• 7 years later...
3 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

Those winning scores are kind of low. 

Maybe you saw it in the ad photo, but just in case: each player was only given two 5-minute attempts to get their highest score. I haven't played 2600 pac-man in a while, so I don't remember if that's a good score for just 5 minutes of play or not...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aramis said:

Maybe you saw it in the ad photo, but just in case: each player was only given two 5-minute attempts to get their highest score. I haven't played 2600 pac-man in a while, so I don't remember if that's a good score for just 5 minutes of play or not...

I was wondering what my score would be in 5 minutes. I'm sure it would be less but I may try it this weekend. We can revive the Boscov Challenge!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cvga said:

I was wondering what my score would be in 5 minutes. I'm sure it would be less but I may try it this weekend. We can revive the Boscov Challenge!

That sounds like fun.

I live a few miles away from the Laurel Mall, and Boscov's is still open.  Maybe I'll give it a shot on-location.  :)

• Like 3

I didn't live near the Boscov's in Hazelton at the time but the store in Wilkes-Barre had an exhibit of different video games & computers to play on. My mom took me to it and later that Christmas I received an Atari 2600 and a copy of Donkey Kong, which was one of the games I played there.

So yeah, Boscov's was a major start of my gaming life...

• Like 2

On 2/11/2020 at 5:58 PM, cvga said:

I took the Boscov Challenge. My score was 3,561 in 5 minutes. Not too bad given that I didn't practice and was a little afraid I wouldn't last the full 5 minutes :)

14 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

If Boscovs' ever does a new version of this, I am in!  I live within driving distance of 10 or 11 of them.

That would be awesome. There are 50 Boscov's (26 in PA). None super close to me but I would drive to do this :)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 2:48 AM, high voltage said:

I always wonder why people dissed Pac-Man, it was very popular way back for sure....

It was the only way for us to play Pac-Man at home as the Atari 8-bit systems (including 5200) were way too expensive.

Either that or get the handhelds...