IGNORED

If You Had $200 to Spend . . .

on classic gaming systems, how would you allocate it so that you get the most bang for the buck? I imagine that there are a lot of people who want to enjoy this hobby but have limited funds like most of us. Let's draw the line at the end of the 16-bit era (no PSX, Saturn, N64 or beyond). Assume that we're starting from nothing (except a TV), so no old parts to cannibalize. Computers can be included. All prices should include shipping. Here would be my first suggestion:

Atari 800XL, $60

Atarimax USB Programmer, $60

Atarimax 8mbit flash cart, $46 (both of these shipped together)

Composite video cable, $15

CX-40 joysticks and CX-30 paddles, $20

Okay, so this is $201, but we're talking approximate values for everything except the Atarimax products. This would be less than $200 if you wanted to go the SIO2PC route, and then you might even have enough leftover for a Flashback 2 system.

I wasn't thinking about emulation at first, but I guess that would be the most economical route. You don't even need $200. It's free if you have a PC and access to the Internet.

I was thinking about people who would want to play on original hardware and perhaps begin a collection with it.

You can still have that TV feel with a real joystick using a modern portable system. Spending small bucks should be for testing the waters. On that same portable you can test out hundreds of ROMs for different systems and decided when you feel a system is safe to drop over $200 dollars on it. If you want to "begin" collecting then going %100 percent authentic is a risky investment.

I'll give you another example: The Dingoo 330 wtih wireless controller $131.36 shipped.

http://www.aliexpres..._375574890.html

TV out with wireless joystick. Plenty of space for ROMs and an SD card slot. Many emulators including Atari 800. When you want to stop using it on your TV you can put it in your pocket discreetly unlike, say a real 600XL or PSP for that matter.

Nevertheless, if you wanted to go purist then start with an unpopular system like the Aquarius and order a multi-cart. Aquarius systems are dirt cheap.

Edited by theloon

Good question.

And I think your idea is pretty good. Finding the best 64k+ A8 and an Atarimax seems like a no brainer. I love the A8 and really think there are some great games out there for it -- and having that Atarimax means being able to play software that was disk or cassette only.

I do also like the handheld idea. But this may be cheating:

Game Boy Advance - my local retro games store sells them for $20 for the original model.

Figure in $25 for some rechargeable batteries and charger.

And whatever is leftover in games.

If I am not cheating change it to a GameBoy color for $15.

To be brutally honest, if I've only got $200 bucks I better stretch that out to the max. One stanky rarified system isn't going to get me far. Any portable game system that can be used on a TV with emulators will win out.

Yeah, I was going to mention some combo of 7800 / SNES / NES hardware, but adding in the costs of the software just ruins it. Gimme a modded Xbox or Wii, and a decent controller or two.

Yeah, I was going to mention some combo of 7800 / SNES / NES hardware, but adding in the costs of the software just ruins it. Gimme a modded Xbox or Wii, and a decent controller or two.

I agree that multicart (or emulation) would be the way to go because of the cost of games. However, the vast majority of 2600, 5200, 7800, Intellivision, and ColecoVision games are dirt cheap, between $0.50 and $2 apiece when you buy in lots. You could be set up for quite a while. In fact, my second choice or recommendation would probably be:

Atari 7800 console, $50

Harmony cart, $60

As many quality 7800 games as you can get for $70

Edited by boxpressed
  • Like 2

I have quite a few systems, bxut really a very small library of gsmes for them. I think I'd try to fill out my SD carts for them. I already have carts for my 2600, CV and Genesis. I may try to invest in SNES and N64. As much as I'd like to get one for my Intv, I'm afraid that ship has sailed, at least for a while. :(

I agree that multicart (or emulation) would be the way to go because of the cost of games. However, the vast majority of 2600, 5200, 7800, Intellivision, and ColecoVision games are dirt cheap, between $0.50 and $2 apiece when you buy in lots. You could be set up for quite a while. In fact, my second choice or recommendation would probably be:

Atari 7800 console, $50

Harmony cart, $60

As many quality 7800 games as you can get for $70

Not a bad setup at all, but still, you'd be limited to 2600 & 7800 games. Not a heck of a lot of variety for the money. If only one could get two systems & two multicarts... but that seems tough.

Not a bad setup at all, but still, you'd be limited to 2600 & 7800 games. Not a heck of a lot of variety for the money. If only one could get two systems & two multicarts... but that seems tough.

Yep. The problem is that the only inexpensive and available multicart is the Harmony. I love Atarimax products, but they bring you close to the $200 ceiling by themselves. For $300, I'd do this (just because I like CV more than 7800):

ColecoVision with Atari adapter, $80

Atarimax Ultimate SD for CV, $136

Harmony, $60

A NES and a power pak, or a 2600 with Harmony would be my start. Maybe the either console and a the largest lot of games I could find the for the remaining cash, just depending on where you really want to start. If you want to be able to play the most games the flash carts rock, if you want to collect the real hardware off the bat starting with a pile of the most common games would be a great way to go to.

Trying to think like this really makes you think about the cost of collecting. $200 really doesn't go very far at all.

• Like 1

Oh, oops. I missed the part about starting with nothing ...

In that case, I would definitely start with a Heavy 2600 with a full complement of controllers, and a Harmony cart. The total for that should be around $120. Then I'd take my wife out to a nice dinner and movie with the remaining $80, thanking her all the while for letting me blow the first $120!

Going the most economical route, I might get a ColecoVision with a few CV games, and 2600 expansion module. That'd probably be about $100-120. Then spend the other $80 on the Harmony.

I would go with collection supplies - the incidental stuff: Universal Game Cases (case of 100 = $60), printer ink (enough ink to print covers for those 100 cases = $40ish), new AC adaptors (2x each for Atari, Coleco, and a bunch of those universal ones for 8 bitters = $90), RCA cables ($10), etc.

Now, that's with my current collection. If I was limited to $200, and needed to start from scratch, I'd send my mother $30 to send me our family's original Coleco Vision (with about 30+ games in near mint condition). replacement cables and AC adapter ($20), new controllers ($20), a case of UGCs ($60), ink for the games I'd be receiving ($20), and then I'd sell off the titles I don't want from that lot, combine the profits with the remaining $50, and snag an NES top loader... only to make sure I had enough left over for pizza. :)

For about $100 total I can get a Sega Genesis with a power base converter to play Sega Master System games and a SNES with a Super Gameboy so that's 4 well supported systems there with a wide variety of games and I'd spend my remaining $100 getting 10-50 games for those systems.

A NES and a power pak, or a 2600 with Harmony would be my start. Maybe the either console and a the largest lot of games I could find the for the remaining cash, just depending on where you really want to start. If you want to be able to play the most games the flash carts rock, if you want to collect the real hardware off the bat starting with a pile of the most common games would be a great way to go to.

Trying to think like this really makes you think about the cost of collecting. $200 really doesn't go very far at all.

Maybe, but if you were on a tight budget your system-of-choice plus a flashcart could get you access to 95+% of any system's library, and you wouldn't NEED to spend money again for a long time. You can't say that about modern gaming.

Maybe, but if you were on a tight budget your system-of-choice plus a flashcart could get you access to 95+% of any system's library, and you wouldn't NEED to spend money again for a long time. You can't say that about modern gaming.

Legal/ethical issues aside, you can simply mod modern consoles and download games.

Legal/ethical issues aside, you can simply mod modern consoles and download games.

Yet another reason to go modern portable system with TV out: Homebrews exist in quantity if you use emulators. Why get one system on one TV with one joystick when you can get ALL the systems via emulation on one TV with one joystick.

You can afford to be a purist AFTER you've gotten a feel for all the systems. Why invest in one "pure" system and lose? You can use that initial $200 investment to try them all via emulation and homebrew to make a more informed purchase later.

Edited by theloon

I'd probably go with a Genesis/Sega CD/32X setup and a EverDrive-MD. That should run no more than $200 with all necessary PSUs and controllers, and would give me access to all of the SMS games as well.

Alternatively, a SNES with a Super EverDrive and a Super Game Boy should be doable with enough margin left to buy a few Game Boy games and/or SNES enhancement chip games (Starfox, Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings, etc.).

• Like 1

Sega Genesis - $20

Everdrive-MD - $83

NES - $30

Old 486 or early Pentium DOS gaming machine - $Free or close to it

I'd spend the rest of the dough on games. Later on when I had more money I'd expand into Game Boy, Playstation, and Atari, but what's listed above would be the Jibbajaba starter kit if I somehow lost my whole collection and only had $200 in seed money to get it started again.

Chris

Is the point of the question how we would go about spending the $200 if we had to start collecting all over again? If so, I would buy a Harmony Cart and then what is left over I would use to buy the best 2600/7800 lots I can find on ebay. I would do that until the $200 is gone. When I have more disposable income I would do the same and would eventually have a huge collection with doubles. I would eventually sell the doubles to have more money to use on the collection....