IGNORED

What are you playing on 3DS?

Alien Infestation

I finally picked this up on Black Friday.

Played it a little bit, and I don't like it yet =) Hopefully it picks up soon, because I'm bored of having to stop and read text every five minutes.......except now I have to start over, because I couldn't figure out how to save the game.

Also kind of weird that the super-bright color palette suggests that this game was supposed to be released before the DS Lite came out...I thought there would be a brightness setting in the options, but I couldn't find one.

Edit: Also finally picked up Monster Tale, which I had played before. It's kind of a watered-down Metroid clone, but it's not bad, and one can never have too many Metroid clones.

Edited by Asaki

Can I ask how does the save feature work? I ask cuz I got pretty annoyed at Luigi's Mansion. Don't get me wrong, the game is great but when the levels begin to take an hour or so to complete, I need to be able to save my progress and quit. It is supposed to be a portable game afterall.

I was very glad Project X Zone allowed me to save wherever I was in a battle and quit when my stop came up on my train, but Luigi's Mansion has no such ability so I stopped playing that one.

Does Zelda allow you to save and quit quickly?

You can't really save any place you want. You have to go to the "bird signpost" save points. That said, there are a lot of them, (they're scattered at key places you'd be at much of the time), and you can ring a bell pretty early in the game to basically warp (or rather, a witch carries you) to any of them. So in other words, it almost becomes like you can kind of save most "anytime", at least in the overworld.. just not anyplace. :P

...I need to be able to save my progress and quit. It is supposed to be a portable game afterall.

What he said.

Also, whenever I need to quit and I'm not near a save point, I just press the Home button on my 3DS, close it, and put it in my pocket.

...and I just hope I don't accidentally eject the cart or something =|

What he said.

Also, whenever I need to quit and I'm not near a save point, I just press the Home button on my 3DS, close it, and put it in my pocket.

...and I just hope I don't accidentally eject the cart or something =|

Why bother pressing the home button? If you're playing a 3DS game (as opposed to a flashcart or a downloaded NES/GB title which will run down the battery when shut) you can just close the 3DS and it lasts in sleep mode a long time just fine.

Well I Have just got the Zelda edition 3DS XL, Pokemon X, Monster Hunter 3, and Project X-Zone

Christmas Bonus + 25% off voucher for an entire basket meant it was splurge time. I would have grabbed more games but alas, I had bills to pay as well (though for the first time in awhile, I'm all paid up on everything which will be AMAZING going into the last couple weeks of the year)

• Like 1

Well I Have just got the Zelda edition 3DS XL, Pokemon X, Monster Hunter 3, and Project X-Zone

Christmas Bonus + 25% off voucher for an entire basket meant it was splurge time. I would have grabbed more games but alas, I had bills to pay as well (though for the first time in awhile, I'm all paid up on everything which will be AMAZING going into the last couple weeks of the year)

Nice grabs!!

I really need to pick up Zelda. Also, lately been really enjoying srpgs, so I may try to get X Zone, liked the demo quite a bit, but heard mixed reviews on it.. Is it pretty cheap nowadays?

Sweet.. I may have to pick it up after the holidays.. That is if I don't receive it of course..

On a side note.. Just finished Fire Emblem Awakening.. Freakin spectacular game.

Moving on to Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon for DS.. & possibly some Soul Hackers.... Haven't totally decided yet..

Has anyone bought/played the DLC maps in Fire Emblem Awakening? I'm curious if they're worth the money..

I found the Exp/Gold mission pack to be invaluable. I did a lot of grinding on those missions. I don't remember what the pack is called, though.

The pack with the Wedding Bouquet is pretty nice. Of course, the only mission worth spending time on is the one that rewards you with the Bouquet. Once you have one of the ladies dressed up in a wedding dress, she becomes hell on heels.

I never bothered with any of the other DLC packs. Since the only rewards for most of them are phantom characters which can't form bonds, they were all more or less pointless. For me the battles in Fire Emblem weren't terribly interesting because of single tactic (gang rush) AI.

There is one mission which gives a item allowing a class change for a guy character, but my final dude brigade was already ludicrously overpowering enough without having to reclass them into a super class.

I had a lot of fun with Fire Emblem, and I feel it was an excellent reason to buy a 3DS. That said, I doubt I'll ever play it again, and I don't have any desire to bother with extra missions because the Enemy AI doesn't make playing such things an interesting event. So my advice is to get the XP/Gold pack and the pack that has the Bride class change item. If you somehow get to the endgame without a cast of guys who are already completely uber, consider getting the pack with the class change item for the guys. But unless you just really need dialoguless, non-voice acted, generic placeholder models which are supposed to represent characters from previous installments, then don't bother with the other mission packs.

• Like 1

I found the Exp/Gold mission pack to be invaluable. I did a lot of grinding on those missions. I don't remember what the pack is called, though.

The pack with the Wedding Bouquet is pretty nice. Of course, the only mission worth spending time on is the one that rewards you with the Bouquet. Once you have one of the ladies dressed up in a wedding dress, she becomes hell on heels.

I never bothered with any of the other DLC packs. Since the only rewards for most of them are phantom characters which can't form bonds, they were all more or less pointless. For me the battles in Fire Emblem weren't terribly interesting because of single tactic (gang rush) AI.

There is one mission which gives a item allowing a class change for a guy character, but my final dude brigade was already ludicrously overpowering enough without having to reclass them into a super class.

I had a lot of fun with Fire Emblem, and I feel it was an excellent reason to buy a 3DS. That said, I doubt I'll ever play it again, and I don't have any desire to bother with extra missions because the Enemy AI doesn't make playing such things an interesting event. So my advice is to get the XP/Gold pack and the pack that has the Bride class change item. If you somehow get to the endgame without a cast of guys who are already completely uber, consider getting the pack with the class change item for the guys. But unless you just really need dialoguless, non-voice acted, generic placeholder models which are supposed to represent characters from previous installments, then don't bother with the other mission packs.

Excellent! I've already beaten the game.. But, I don't want to be done with it.. So I thought if some of the dlc was good, then it would extend the life of the game for me... Also thought about replaying the game on a harder difficulty, so perhaps, by downloading this exp/gold pack, it will provide decent grinding opportunity (since I felt one was lacking in the game). Thanks for the info Sir Gabriel.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the 3D remakes on the Store? I've thought about getting Space Harrier. I haven't bothered because I just haven't been in the 3DS mood lately. I'm mainly wondering if the game plays well on the 3DS (I consider the 32X version the gold standard), and if the 3D effect is neat enough to worry about.

No idea why they put these up with regular 2D videos of gameplay. Sega just at their usual brilliance, I guess.

• Like 1

I grabbed Space Harrier, it's pretty awesome. I don't have a 32X though, so I can't compare. Lots of different options, smooth framerate, and the 3D effect is pretty good.

I need to get some eShop moneys so I can get some of the other games. And they need to make 3D OutRun so I can buy it.

• Like 3

Best Buy has eShop cards on sale, so now I've got Sonic, Super Hang-on and Galaxy Force II.

I thought Sonic in 3D would look boring, but it looks pretty natural. I wasn't interested in it at first, but I was swayed after reading the dev interview, and how much work they put into it (it's actually running in an emulator of an updated 3D Genesis that they designed). Super Hang-On is nice, but some of the 3D looks a little off...like the road looks like it's a lot further away than the objects that are on it...maybe I'm just not used to it.

Also, I am very, very bad at Super Hang-On =)

Haven't tried the other one yet.

• Like 1

So I tried the game out and it's pretty fun. For some weird reason they decided to make the default buttons Y and B for lasers and rockets. I immediately changed that in the settings.
Other than that it's quite good. The levels looks pretty nice, especially the lava one. If I had a complaint it would be that this is very clearly the original coinop 3D-ified as opposed to a new game. Don't expect Starfox 3DS level graphics here. It is the old flat sprite-based game extruded into the third dimension so sometimes I feel like I'm flying past a series of cardboard cutouts as opposed to hallways or tunnels.

Still, I am having a great time and I'm very happy I got it.

Glad to see some more space shooter type games on 3DS also.

What did you change the buttons to?

When I was ready to quit playing, I noticed that the touch-screen is set to change the throttle...I don't know how you'd be able to play it that way without remapping the buttons to R and L or something.

Though the default throttle setting seemed okay for me...

Well, about a week ago I purchased the Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon bundle at Best Buy and I'm finding the game is incredible. I've played the Gamecube version and it's the same enjoyable game play that I love. This is my first 3ds, cobalt blue, and I'm loving it. I swore I would never buy another handheld gaming system. So much for that promise. ;) Luigi's Mansion is really fun, but the only thing I don't enjoy is the long periods between save times. I wish there was save points somewhere in the mansions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...