IGNORED

What are you playing on 3DS?

I just bought Etrian Odyssey 4, a bit of an oldie but a goodie I think. I read that it was a bit easier than the old ones as I struggled with those.

Still playing Fire Emblem but I think EO4 is next for me.

Also played some Big Bang Mini (DS) last night.

Oh man.. EO4 is one of my all time favorites.. Excellent choice!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting an XL next week and I have a list of 9 or 10 games I'll be getting for it.

What I'm curious about though is, without getting trolls or into a flame war, how come the 3DS is apparently managing okay now, actually being successful too while the VITA is not doing well at all? I don't think it's the 3D that makes the 3DS successful, most players say they usually turn it off. So maybe it's the games themselves? But I haven't seen too many other than my 9 or 10 that I think would make this handheld a success. I've already looked at this previous thread on the subject.

So I just want to know, what are you folks who have a 3DS actually playing?

I think it's visibility. The 3DS has simply been more visible than the Vita. Both systems also have a problem being mistaken for their predecessors, but the Vita has this problem to a greater extent than the 3DS for some reason. It probably doesn't help that the branding on Vita games doesn't make them stand out from the PS3 and PS4 games on the shelf.

Price is another point. The 3DS was an abject failure at $250. But when the far superior XL models started hitting Target and other places for $170, the system started moving. The Vita is definitely a nicer system, but you pay more for that too (even if it is $30 more at this point).

Availability doesn't help. Whenever I've been curious about a Vita, I've noticed they're out of stock everywhere.

And games are another point. Only now are there maybe 5 games on the Vita that I might be tempted to pick up. Of those, two are remakes and one is merely a portable version of a PS3 game. In that latter case, I'll just buy the PS3 game instead. The Vita doesn't have anything cool and unique (and visible) like Fire Emblem: Awakening or Project X Zone, and those were the games that made me buy a 3DS XL.

As for what I'm playing on the 3DS, I haven't played much on it for months. I popped in Animal Crossing and played for a couple of hours for the first time in a year. I bought the Kirby game, but haven't played it yet. I played the demo for Conception II, but the combat system and exploration just weren't good enough to bother with it. I played some Donkey Kong last night. Oh... and I tinkered with Petit Computer. That's about it for the past month or two.

I've never expressed any interest in a Sony hand held, but have gravitated to Nintendo's portable market for years. As Gabriel has said, visibility is a factor (seems to be everywhere with Nintendo's advertisements), and perhaps with the kids as well. I've been a Nintendo fan for many years, and have equally enjoyed all of Nintendo's portable systems. But I must admit I wasn't going to get sucked into the portable gaming market back in December of 2013. I promised myself to "get out of" the console/portable market and just play computer games and retro consoles. Well, that was until the money came up (Christmas present) and the 3DS popped into my head at that point in time.

For me it's the characters that I identify with, and have for a long time. The simple yet addicting game play gets me every time with Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Link...maybe it's not the best graphics, sound, or playability, but these three factors and Nintendo's larger-than-life presence keeps me firmly in their corner. I certainly am not saying it's the best company out there (sales figures usually don't lie), and maybe it's the fandom that keeps me playing their stuff. Or the wackiness factor with certain games they make.

I play this thing and carry it around with me every day. Mario is always played, and the quirkier titles such as Tomodachi Life happen to be another favorite of mine. The Animal Crossing series is another staple, along with the Mario games. Looking forward to Fantasy Life in October and of course, Smash Bros. I usually don't deviate from the "normal" Nintendo titles, as much as that's my loss for not going outside my comfort zone for gaming.

Mega Man V should be available here in a fortnight, so I started looking for a new batch of games to get for a 25.- prepaid eShop card.

Here's the list of games I'm currently interested in:

3.99 Mega Man V
2.99 Cubit The Hardcore Platformer Robot
4.49 Siesta Fiesta
3.49 Rage Of The Gladiator
7.99 Pokemon Link Battle
7.99 Weapon Shop De Omasse
8.99 Retro City Rampage
1.99 Edge

Anyone having more/other suggestions for me? :)

Anyone having more/other suggestions for me? :)

Shovel Knight and Steamworld Dig are must-haves.

The Guild games are pretty good. I skipped the puzzle game though (the airport something or other), and haven't picked up Weapon Shop yet.

I always forget the actual title of it, but the Rusty baseball one is pretty decent. It starts off as a free demo, and you pay for each minigame separately, so you don't have to pay for the whole thing at once, or pay for games you don't like.

Some of the Sega 3D Classics are pretty awesome if you like those kinds of games, and if you like 3D.

• Like 1

Shovel Knight and Steamworld Dig are must-haves.

The Guild games are pretty good. I skipped the puzzle game though (the airport something or other), and haven't picked up Weapon Shop yet.

I always forget the actual title of it, but the Rusty baseball one is pretty decent. It starts off as a free demo, and you pay for each minigame separately, so you don't have to pay for the whole thing at once, or pay for games you don't like.

Some of the Sega 3D Classics are pretty awesome if you like those kinds of games, and if you like 3D.

Thanks for the suggestions! I already have Steamworld Dig and totally agree - a must-have! I also have most guild titles, I think besides Omasse only Starship Damrey would still be an option for me :)

Shovel Knight is a must have.. but I relented on having it on the 3DS vs on the big screen.

I think it looks a lot cooler in 3D, and the game was designed for the 3DS's screen, so in the ports, you don't get more pixels, they're just bigger.

There's also a Streetpass feature, but I haven't been able to try it yet. It seems like it might be a little weird.

I think it looks a lot cooler in 3D, and the game was designed for the 3DS's screen, so in the ports, you don't get more pixels, they're just bigger.

There's also a Streetpass feature, but I haven't been able to try it yet. It seems like it might be a little weird.

Yep.. well that's the tradeoff isn't it... you gotta decide if you want the game, where then do you want it? Else it's $15 per platform. :) I went for bigger screen since my eyes have gone bad :lol:

Pokemon Y:

Just received a new Pokemon via Nintendo. Stats are:

Name:/ Pinsir

Level: 50

Moveset:

X-Scissor, Earthquake, Stone Edge and Return.

Now I know traded, gifted, and event Pokemon level up faster but this thing is broken in that regard. In less than a day, without non-stop play, he's already at Level 71, and his Mega Stone, Pinsirite, will be released via Gamestop starting Monday!

Pokemon Y:

Just received a new Pokemon via Nintendo. Stats are:

Name:/ Pinsir

Level: 50

Moveset:

X-Scissor, Earthquake, Stone Edge and Return.

Now I know traded, gifted, and event Pokemon level up faster but this thing is broken in that regard. In less than a day, without non-stop play, he's already at Level 71, and his Mega Stone, Pinsirite, will be released via Gamestop starting Monday!

Damn, I got all excited for a free Pinsir, but no go for us Australians.

Yeah, I looked it up, even Canada gets the shaft on the Mega Stone. Forgot to mention:

Pinsir's Nature is Adamant, and upon Mega Evolution his Ability changes from Mold Breaker to Aerilate, transforming all of Mega Pinsir's Normal-type moves into Flying-type moves, and granting those moves a 30% power boost, on top of the boost simply from Mega Evolving, and how strong Return's base already is. Bastard hits hard, very hard.

Too bad, hmm, if I'm able to get an extra Pinsir I can trade it to you? Was already gonna get another copy of either X or Y anyway, just let me know, and I'll check for a copy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought Etrian Odyssey 4, a bit of an oldie but a goodie I think. I read that it was a bit easier than the old ones as I struggled with those.

Still playing Fire Emblem but I think EO4 is next for me.

Also played some Big Bang Mini (DS) last night.

Good choice. I can't really go back to the old games after playing EO4. Even Etrian Odyssey Untold felt a little backwards. The skill trees are much better than the old ranked skill lists. One great thing about EO4 is that it is MUCH easier to run a tank as there are more passives that help you draw aggro and you get some really nice damage mitigation. Eventually you get to add a secondary job for each class and that adds tons of further customization since you can cherry pick some defensive skills from the other classes.

I've been binging on Pokemon XY for a bit. I bought Pokemon X last year but I only just now got around to trying it out. I ended up grabbing Y off the digital store as I got the collecting bug. First Pokemon game I've played heavily since FireRed/LeafGreen and man they've made some nice changes in this series. There's so many Pokemon now that it seems like in every new zone I'm finding something interesting. I started up a little breeding program for the now catchable Eevee and I've been playing through Y with only Eevees in their various evolutions. It's been a blast.

• Like 2

Good choice. I can't really go back to the old games after playing EO4.

Exactly what I've been hearing. :)

In case anyone is interested, Nintendo is selling re-furbed Gold Zelda 3DS XL's for $150:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp;jsessionid=LPHVT8lQlnVdWNqLyvvlNvfjr16rGzCZ5qFKh2rBskZ76HG6htJw!978964157?productId=prod380002

• Like 1

Wow, nice! If I had the cash, I'd be all over that deal. :)

Anyway, I was in Gamestop the other day, pre ordering Fantasy Life, when on my way out I saw a copy of Paper Mario: Sticker Star for $10.00. I couldn't let that pass, as it was brand new and unopened. 7 games and counting now for my 3DS.

Steve

• Like 1

So, here's what I just bought for my 2nd Prepaid eShop card: Siesta Fiesta, Mighty Switch Force, Rage of the Gladiator and Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sowrd. Mega Man V will follow tomorrow :)

(Shovel Knight unfortunately isn't out in Europe yet :sad: )

For now I just started playing Siesta Fiesta but it seems to be nothing special so far... :ponder:

Started playing SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers again, after letting it rest for a few months.. Difficult to remember exactly what I was doing, but I think I am back on track.. Its a pretty decent RPG, its just taking me a while to figure out the Demon catching/fusing.. Wondering how important it is in the big picture of the game.. I'd rather just pick a few strong demons and run power thru the game..

• Like 2