IGNORED

Super Mario Clone World 1-1 Playable Demo!

Sprybug

Is there an ETA of the finished cart ?

That's all in the hands of Al at Atari Age. There were a few things that cropped up that caused him to delay the release. From what I heard, lack of hardware to produce enough carts and he ended up wanting to produce a box as well, which I gave him a mock up for, but has to figure out how to do it yet.

• Like 1

That's all in the hands of Al at Atari Age. There were a few things that cropped up that caused him to delay the release. From what I heard, lack of hardware to produce enough carts and he ended up wanting to produce a box as well, which I gave him a mock up for, but has to figure out how to do it yet.

A box would be awesome :D worth the wait.

I apologize for the delay with this and several other games that require the Melody board. We placed a large order for more Melody boards back in early November, and I do believe they have shipped and we'll have them soon. There's a big pile of new games waiting on these! :D

And, yes, I'd love to do boxes for every new release. I'm certainly trying to do them more frequently.

More news soon!

..Al

• Like 1

Awesome news and great progress!

Also for the 5200 engine demo, that is very impressive to say the least. Folks today are making these machines do things that they were never intended to do or had VERY high limitations due to tools and education. Whenever I see a demo like that or someone taking a SID or POKEY Chip and making it do things well beyond what it was meant for is a feat of ingenuity.Just like this SMB 2600 port. This is a technical feat although it is using more resources then the normal VCS cart it is still damn amazing that it working and able to be played on real hardware.

Not trying to point any fingers or start a fire but it really bothers me when someone say's a technical demo or a homebrew made program that is doing above and beyond what it should be gets called on being dumb or lame or fail or crap. Being that I have worked in the game industry for many of years and do my own tinkering on the side I do not think any custom made demo/game/program showing off skills is bad rather it is polished or not!

Just go to the 7800 forum and look at Bentley Bear and UN Squadron, These are doing WELL more than what the 7800 was ever expected to do, especially Bentley Bear as it is playing and running.

/off the soap box.

Again this is a real treat to see, I like others cannot wait to see the final product and all the fun in between, take your time and do not rush anything!

Edited by Shinju
  • Like 1

I apologize for the delay with this and several other games that require the Melody board. We placed a large order for more Melody boards back in early November, and I do believe they have shipped and we'll have them soon. There's a big pile of new games waiting on these! :D

And, yes, I'd love to do boxes for every new release. I'm certainly trying to do them more frequently.

More news soon!

..Al

Thanks for the update! That's really good news.

• Like 1

Awesome news and great progress!

Also for the 5200 engine demo, that is very impressive to say the least. Folks today are making these machines do things that they were never intended to do or had VERY high limitations due to tools and education. Whenever I see a demo like that or someone taking a SID or POKEY Chip and making it do things well beyond what it was meant for is a feat of ingenuity.Just like this SMB 2600 port. This is a technical feat although it is using more resources then the normal VCS cart it is still damn amazing that it working and able to be played on real hardware.

Not trying to point any fingers or start a fire but it really bothers me when someone say's a technical demo or a homebrew made program that is doing above and beyond what it should be gets called on being dumb or lame or fail or crap. Being that I have worked in the game industry for many of years and do my own tinkering on the side I do not think any custom made demo/game/program showing off skills is bad rather it is polished or not!

Just go to the 7800 forum and look at Bentley Bear and UN Squadron, These are doing WELL more than what the 7800 was ever expected to do, especially Bentley Bear as it is playing and running.

/off the soap box.

Again this is a real treat to see, I like others cannot wait to see the final product and all the fun in between, take your time and do not rush anything!

Well I can surely say that as far as using extra hardware to make this possible, not really. The only thing I've done is 32k bankswitching, other than that, it's using the Atari's own 1977 hardware to do it all. I just spent a lot of time on the programming end to squeeze out what I could from the limiting hardware.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So it's a run & jump clone where your character runs for you and all you do is press a button to jump. So about the same depth of gameplay as Flappy Bird I guess. :P

People like it so much, they can't wait for Flappy Bird on cart. No news of anyone making Angry Birds, Twirly Copter, or Fruit Ninja though, for some reason.

It actually made some of these levels quite challenging.

All comes down to level design. If the levels were the exact same as on the NES, most levels weren't designed for you to keep moving without ever stopping, so having to play it that way would naturally make it harder, especially if the entire level was synchronized to the start of the level and could be thrown off by you bumping into something and getting slowed down.

People like it so much, they can't wait for Flappy Bird on cart. No news of anyone making Angry Birds, Twirly Copter, or Fruit Ninja though, for some reason.

People can have all the Flappy Creepy Bird they wants:

https://www.pikointeractive.com/store.html#!/Creepy-Bird-SNES/p/34430909/category=9430343

And plenty of match three games exist. There are Columbs clones on NES and Atari. Tetris Attack was problably the original match three game where you swap tiles. Games like Zoo Keeper expanded the concept by filling the screen and allowing matches both horizontally and vertically. My mom really enjoys playing Bejeweled 3 on the MiniMac. I'm sure Candy Crush and Fruit Ninja are the same concept except they put power-ups behind a pay wall. I wish Bejeweled 3 supported USB gamepad as input. I could probably swap tiles faster that way instead of using a mouse.

All comes down to level design. If the levels were the exact same as on the NES, most levels weren't designed for you to keep moving without ever stopping, so having to play it that way would naturally make it harder, especially if the entire level was synchronized to the start of the level and could be thrown off by you bumping into something and getting slowed down.

Yes level design is paramount although Flappy Bird's claim to fame is that the levels are randomly generated so it's a different game every time. And I never suggested one-button platformers were a bad idea but level design has to be approached differently. I still feel that you lose a lot of depth in the gameplay by not allowing full control of the main character. It also limits what the devs can do with level design.

But with a one button platformer, there are two ways to approach it: low speed, which screams casual and boring, and high speed, using basically speedrun techniques requiring you to make a path through the level forcing you to memorize the obstacles and execute jumps perfectly as the only way to beat it.

So it's a run & jump clone where your character runs for you and all you do is press a button to jump. So about the same depth of gameplay as Flappy Bird I guess. :P

I remember playing NES Remix on my Wii-U and a couple of the Super Mario Brothers levels were automatic speed run mode, where the game holds Right+B causing Mario to run full speed and you have to dodge enemies with nothing but the "A" button. It actually made some of these levels quite challenging.

Why did you quote and not report spam?

Why did you quote and not report spam?

I think the fact the post was video game related and a platform game in a platforming related thread made me think at first it wasn't spam. I reply to a lot of stuff after I get responses in my email. After rereading it, yeah it probably is spam now that I think about it. One post and media in his username.

If it wasn't posted by a bot, and the dev really cared, he could post in the modern gaming forum where it belongs.

Still though, interesting points brought up about ports of mobile games to classic consoles...

I think Fruit Ninja would sell like hot cakes!

@Albert: My appologies for quoting a spammer. It did lead to some interesting dialog though. Can't wait to see what game you'll be adding! ;)

Some Chinese company ported Angry Birds to the Genesis/Mega Drive a couple years back. The port sucked royally because no 16-bit tile-based console could ever handle the physics engine. Well maybe GBA but it's 32-bit. :P

I'd love to see a modern match-3 game ported to classic consoles though. Best part is no nagging paywalls. Buy the cart and it's yours to keep forever! :D