IGNORED

UK Meeting Nov 16/17

skr

Hello everybody,

I work in a Planetarium in Germany but often visit conferences all over the world. In November there is the "Fulldome UK" meeting in Leicester:

http://www.fulldome.org.uk/fulldome-uk-2012/

What the heck does that have to do with Atari 8 Bit?

It seems to be that people working in a Fulldome Planetarium (not standard, which "only" can show stars) are freaks like me. So I made an appointment with three friends to play M.U.L.E. on my A800 before, while or after the conference. Leon Trimble from the Birmingham 8 Bit lounge most probably will be there too, so we are starting to find a nice location where more people can gather together and have a nice retro-night.

Who from the UK members here at AA would be able to join? Or is somebody from Leicester here who could support us with finding a room?

Best regards,

Sascha

Ah, the space maggot :)

I live just outside Leicester, Maybe I could help.

As a suggestion, if people have transport available, my friends at The Retro Computer Museum have a great room with tonnes of Retro computer stuff, some really rare stuff too. If there is anything you want to see/use they are more than happy to fire it up.

Ahhh, yes, I´ve heard about the RCM. When I am in Leicester, of course I have to visit it. :) I´ll check with the other guys as I can´t come before the conference (my x0th birthday is on Nov 14 and I´ll need the 15th to get sober again, I guess). Would be great if we could play M.U.L.E. there. :)

• 2 months later...

Ok, time is running out. :)

I will enter the UK on Thursday, Nov 15th. Most probably by car via Dunkerque-Dover. So I can bring hardware (want to play MULE on the A800 with some fulldome friends). I still do not know where I will stay. Any hints on an affordable hotel? Or may I bring a sleeping bag and stay at the RCM? ;) I will leave most probably on Tuesday Nov 20th. Or Wednesday. Not sure.

So please tell me: How and when can I access the RCM? Where to stay? Can we meet? The conference ends Saturday night, so we could do some retromeeting stuff on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday? What do you Leicester people say?

rcm detailsclick on the contact us link, there is a mobile number for Andy , the guy in charge.

My guess is that only Sunday will be free for me.

As for somewhere to stay, the Premier Inn is good value for money

http://www.premierin...?DCMP=KNC_D_BND

The Ibis is close to the rail way station and fairly close to the space maggot, handy for restaurants and bars in the city centre too

There is a small family run hotel near RCM I think, but Andy at RCM would be able to help you with that one

Edited by mimo

I would like to attend on the Sunday if possible. I can't make it Thursday night due to a work's night out but I should be able to meet up on the Sunday which would be good fun. (viel spass!). I'm no good at Mule though! I've played it maybe 3 times...?! PM me to sort out contact details.

heh, for playing M.U.L.E. please visit Grzybsoniada or Glucholazy party in Poland. Usually Lewis and Krap (from atariarea) play for it. And always they are sad - no more players want play with them... Actualy Lewis live in London/UK, maybe try via atariarea.krap.pl send him PM - maybe he want play with other ;)

Hmm Hi Guys I just wanted to put this out there...

now I'm very interested in playing MULE :lust: , interested in seeing the RCM and quite interested in Astronomy (basic knowledge and a regular watcher of the Sky at Night :D .) I live 44 road miles away from the venue (south Lincolnshire, near Peterborough, about 1hr East of Leicester - see forum map). On the downside I have an annoying health condition that means I don't think I'm up to driving (nor a heavy night on the town!) but I could catch the nearby train from Stamford or if there was anyone thinking of going who could give me a lift perhaps (or collect me from the station ;) .) ?

Also I have room(s) for people who want somewhere to stay, but like I said it is 1hr drive away from Leicester :)

So in summary I'm interested in some or all of the stuff but not sure if I want to spend the night in Leicester and don't know if I'd get a ticket to Fulldome so reply quickly :D

Rcm say the best they can do is open for a few hours on Tuesday evening from 5:30 ish.

Due to the event they are attending at the weekend , not all systems will be up and running, but they will do their best to have as many systems running as possible.

Please let me know ASAP if this is ok, and how many will attend.

Thanks

I just got my tickets for the ferry. I´ll leave on Wednesday. I don´t know if any others join then. No need to have many systems up and running. I would be glad to see a BBC Micro and an Archmiedes working and getting an idea of how to use them. They are some of the computers still missing in my collection.

My offer for rooms stands for any 8-bitters any time ;) If anyone wants to come over to play M.U.L.E. (or any A8 games) just send me a message ;) Hopefully will get to the RCM in the future. How was the Fulldome event SKR ? What were the best bits (apart from your speech!!) ?