IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing Auction Date

nagn2

I was just thinking...is there an image showing the end label on Medium Bob's cart? I don't remember seeing the end label. If it's missing, does that start to even the playing field a bit?

Good point.

I'm sure Travis or Propane13 can tell us more about the condition of the end label.

8)

As a buyer I would want you to use eBay. I would pay more for the item, and eBay is a pain to deal with, but at the same time I would get buyer protection. The upsides to dealing with people on AA are noticable, and I love to buy and sell here. However, the only real downside to ripping a member here off is that you can't use this site anymore because everyone will know that you ripped somone off. This is why I don't buy from members here with very little post and too little feedback for the price of the item. The risks are super high that the user would take my money and just leave the forum. If you have nothing invested here there is no reason for you to stay after you make your money.

So, I would use eBay. If nothing else it will give the people that are bidding on your item some peace of mind. That goes a long way. Then again, if you do sell it to a member here on AA we will know for sure what the deal with the game is. I can't imagine anyone else here would have a problem opening that cart to prove it's past. It only adds to the value when you know what the real story on the cart is.

• Like 1

As a buyer I would want you to use eBay. I would pay more for the item, and eBay is a pain to deal with, but at the same time I would get buyer protection. The upsides to dealing with people on AA are noticable, and I love to buy and sell here. However, the only real downside to ripping a member here off is that you can't use this site anymore because everyone will know that you ripped somone off. This is why I don't buy from members here with very little post and too little feedback for the price of the item. The risks are super high that the user would take my money and just leave the forum. If you have nothing invested here there is no reason for you to stay after you make your money.

So, I would use eBay. If nothing else it will give the people that are bidding on your item some peace of mind. That goes a long way. Then again, if you do sell it to a member here on AA we will know for sure what the deal with the game is. I can't imagine anyone else here would have a problem opening that cart to prove it's past. It only adds to the value when you know what the real story on the cart is.

Very well said.

8)

But then he would have to do something similar to what Dino suggested in post 12. If he wants to sell it without anyone studying it before the sell then it is better for him to have less buyer protection.

I do understand your point. However I am leary of selling such an expensive item on Ebay if I can avoid it. I have sold on there for 10 years with over 50,000 transactions and I know there is absolutely no seller protection. The buyer is always right and I have been scammed a number of times. I guess the ideal transaction would be in person where the buyer could check out the cart, play it and so forth and then I don't have to worry about the number of things that can go wrong after the sale. I was always planning on using Ebay (obviously the best auction site for exposure) but when I cancelled the auction waiting to see about this other cart another member suggested an auction on here so I thought i would try to get some insight.

Whatever you do, I would do it soon. Your position has been dramatically reduced since you first started this thread. Before, you had the only known copy. Now you have one of two and yours is in worse condition. Don't get me wrong, you will still make a nice profit, but the price you could have realized has been dramatically decreased. Your only advantage is that you can still sell yours first. If you don't, you can expect to make even less if you sell it.

But then he would have to do something similar to what Dino suggested in post 12. If he wants to sell it without anyone studying it before the sell then it is better for him to have less buyer protection.

I'm just speaking as a buyer here. There is simply no way I would spend the kind of money something like this could bring with no real protection. I'm not alone in that thought at all. In my mind, and I am a salesman IRL, there is no good reason not to open this cart and prove that it is the real deal. If the seller is not willing to prove this is legit AND there is no buyer protection I can't see any reason to spend more money on this than you would give for a copy of PacMan with custom art.

Lets just put it to rest. Those of you that have the means to buy something like this please fill me in on this. Would you rather buy this game with the label in the shape is in now and take the chance that this is a fake or have the cart opened with a very little amount of damage to the label to know you are buying something rare and legit?

I do understand your point. However I am leary of selling such an expensive item on Ebay if I can avoid it. I have sold on there for 10 years with over 50,000 transactions and I know there is absolutely no seller protection. The buyer is always right and I have been scammed a number of times. I guess the ideal transaction would be in person where the buyer could check out the cart, play it and so forth and then I don't have to worry about the number of things that can go wrong after the sale. I was always planning on using Ebay (obviously the best auction site for exposure) but when I cancelled the auction waiting to see about this other cart another member suggested an auction on here so I thought i would try to get some insight.

I'm leery of people selling something this "rare" without some guaranty that it's the real deal and wanting to take the only way I can be sure I don't get ripped off away from me. Again, I'm sure I'm not alone in this thought process either.

I honestly want to believe this is all going to work out well. I love these kinds of finds and learning about something no one knew was out there for so long. People have been playing these games for many many years and to find one that no one seems to know anything about is very exciting. These kinds of finds are the artifacts of our hobby. This is not unlike finding some new scroll explaining something new about an ancient people. It just doesn't look good that you are willing to do nothing to help the people that would be bidding on this item come up with good reason to bid big on it.

EDIT: I just went back and read the story linked in this thread, you know the one that links back to this thread... if in fact we are feeding a troll here he is eating well. I do love the drama llama idea. Maybe that has been around for a while, but its new to me, and I found it pretty funny.

And since the story hit joystiq.com, there will likely be more copies coming out of the wood works.

http://www.joystiq.c...in-philly-shop/

You know, since it has hit Joystick, I think his best bet is to sell it on Ebay right now. He will have more people interested in this since the awareness level is higher. I am not too sure more of these will pop up because of this article. This site is over 10 years old now, and only 2 have popped up.

Also, I get the feel there is some spite in the words of most people who are downgrading what he has. I mean lets be honest, if another Birthdaymania shows up are you guys going to have the same viceral reaction of "You should have sold it sooner." "Bad move holding on to it for so long."

No, I really doubt that. Most of the smack talk is really just bad feelings from the first go around with this guy 5 years ago.

This smack talk is ironically not hitting on the bigger issue. There is one tid bit of information that people seem to forget that happened 5 years ago that really does put a damper on his cart. Remember people, the original programmer claimed to have a whole storage space full of them, and did not want to sell because he felt it was not worth his trouble. People dismissed him at the time since people thought it was a hoax. Well guess what? Since it is not a hoax, this guy probably really does have a whole storage space full of these things.

What that means, is neither cart is actually that valuable if you take that into account. If this guy has dozens of these things eventually one day these things will make it to market. And when that day happens these loose carts are going to be worth hundreds of dollars instead of thousands of dollars.

Edited by homerwannabee
  • Like 1

Remember people, the original programmer claimed to have a whole storage space full of them, and did not want to sell because he felt it was not worth his trouble. People dismissed him at the time since people thought it was a hoax. Well guess what? Since it is not a hoax, this guy probably really does have a whole storage space full of these things.

What that means, is neither cart is actually that valuable if you take that into account. If this guy has dozens of these things eventually one day these things will make it to market. And when that day happens these loose carts are going to be worth hundreds of dollars instead of thousands of dollars.

He never claimed to have a storage space full of them. He simply mentioned that he may have some in storage, but it would take a lot of effort to find them.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/113497-help-information-on-red-sea-crossing/page__st__225#entry1375736

Remember people, the original programmer claimed to have a whole storage space full of them, and did not want to sell because he felt it was not worth his trouble. People dismissed him at the time since people thought it was a hoax. Well guess what? Since it is not a hoax, this guy probably really does have a whole storage space full of these things.

He never claimed to have a storage space full of them. He simply mentioned that he may have some in storage, but it would take a lot of effort to find them.

http://www.atariage....25#entry1375736

And that money would motivate him to dig them out.

, I get the feel there is some spite in the words of most people who are downgrading what he has. I mean lets be honest, if another Birthdaymania shows up are you guys going to have the same viceral reaction of "You should have sold it sooner." "Bad move holding on to it for so long."

Major difference between this and Birthdaymania

- The guy with Birthdaymania is an active collector (not just a collector, a super collector) the dude has like 10,000 video games and as far as I know he does NOT want to sell it.

- nagn2 has wanted to sell this from the begining and has no interest in collecting.

Not trying to be rude man, just saying, they are different ;)

Now, all that aside it sounds like nagn2 is going to put his up first, and with the added hype he "might" get more than he would have before.

...maybe nagn2 can let us in on his "fun" and we can see if it paid off?

QUESTIONS

1 What was the highest cash offer (from a reputable forum member) when you first found Red Sea Crossing nagn2?

2 What is the highest cash offer you have now?

Or of course option 2...

What will the final Ebay price be? (if thats the route he decides to go? We will see on that one I guess)

Overall, if the highest cash offer now, or the final Ebay price beats what he was offered originally then I guess it worked?

Yeah, thanks for that. See it's the he made 500 copies of the game that makes me think he has hundreds of these things in his storage. If he had actually sold hundreds of these things I would think that more than just two copies would have surfaced by now. I mean Pepsi Invaders has a claimed production rate of 125 copies, and we see how many of those have surfaced(And Pepsi Invaders is unlabeled).

That number just sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

Edited by homerwannabee

I thought you said you were a gambler?? :-D

If you are scared of being scammed on ebay, then maybe it is not the best method for you. I'd say you'll likely get the highest price through ebay, but it may be better to take a slightly lower price and have the piece of mind that you wont lose the cart and the dough. You dont need the money right? So taking a slighly lower price should appeal to you.

I cant see why someone couldnt buy the cart on ebay, claim it doesnt work, file a claim through paypal and send you back an ET cart with a photocopied RSC label and I dont know what you could do about it. I personally dont sell much on ebay and I'm not a scammer so i dont know how that scenario would pan out through paypal.

I know a few sellers who swear by auction style sales here. Personally, I dont really like them as I see the guys I deal with here as friends and I dont want to screw them out of every last penny. i prefer to set a price I feel is reasonable (not the highest and not the lowest) and offer the item at that price. I may let myself be haggled down a bit too in some cases. If it sells, it sells, if not then no biggie. Its how real men do it :-D

As you do not really have any affiliations with members here and are not part of the "family", you probably wouldnt have a problem it this type of sale.

, I get the feel there is some spite in the words of most people who are downgrading what he has. I mean lets be honest, if another Birthdaymania shows up are you guys going to have the same viceral reaction of "You should have sold it sooner." "Bad move holding on to it for so long."

Major difference between this and Birthdaymania

- The guy with Birthdaymania is an active collector (not just a collector, a super collector) the dude has like 10,000 video games and as far as I know he does NOT want to sell it.

- nagn2 has wanted to sell this from the begining and has no interest in collecting.

Not trying to be rude man, just saying, they are different ;)

Now, all that aside it sounds like nagn2 is going to put his up first, and with the added hype he "might" get more than he would have before.

...maybe nagn2 can let us in on his "fun" and we can see if it paid off?

QUESTIONS

1 What was the highest cash offer (from a reputable forum member) when you first found Red Sea Crossing nagn2?

2 What is the highest cash offer you have now?

Or of course option 2...

What will the final Ebay price be? (if thats the route he decides to go? We will see on that one I guess)

Overall, if the highest cash offer now, or the final Ebay price beats what he was offered originally then I guess it worked?

I think the real question is, what WOULD he have sold it for if he had it verified 5 years aso and sold it as a one-of-a-kind and the buyer could release repros without risk of being beaten to market, compared to today where there are two and his one is in worse shape. We will never know the answer to that question, but I'm guessing the former scenario would have reaped far greater rewards....

If you are scared of being scammed on ebay, then maybe it is not the best method for you. I'd say you'll likely get the highest price through ebay, but it may be better to take a slightly lower price and have the piece of mind that you wont lose the cart and the dough. You dont need the money right? So taking a slighly lower price should appeal to you.

I cant see why someone couldnt buy the cart on ebay, claim it doesnt work, file a claim through paypal and send you back an ET cart with a photocopied RSC label and I dont know what you could do about it. I personally dont sell much on ebay and I'm not a scammer so i dont know how that scenario would pan out through paypal.

I know a few sellers who swear by auction style sales here. Personally, I dont really like them as I see the guys I deal with here as friends and I dont want to screw them out of every last penny. i prefer to set a price I feel is reasonable (not the highest and not the lowest) and offer the item at that price. I may let myself be haggled down a bit too in some cases. If it sells, it sells, if not then no biggie. Its how real men do it :-D

As you do not really have any affiliations with members here and are not part of the "family", you probably wouldnt have a problem it this type of sale.

Ok, very good points. How do you do an auction style listing on this site?

Yeah, thanks for that. See it's the he made 500 copies of the game that makes me think he has hundreds of these things in his storage. If he had actually sold hundreds of these things I would think that more than just two copies would have surfaced by now. I mean Pepsi Invaders has a claimed production rate of 125 copies, and we see how many of those have surfaced(And Pepsi Invaders is unlabeled).

That number just sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

I doubt he sold more than a dozen, given where he was advertising. Its liekyl he sold none, and gave away a dozen to his family and friends and these are the copies that are surfacing now. He would remember making 500 as opposed to a dozen or two, so i think its safe to say there is a large stash of these waiting to surface, somewhere.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/200762-treasure-discovery-homevision/page__hl__+treasure%20+discovery?do=findComment&comment=2573768

BTW, I have never seen a CIB PAL game sell for this kind of money on ebay....

Basically just say...

RED SEA CROSSING FOR SALE - BEST OFFER

Then accept the best offer after a set amount of time. To save you the hassle of getting tons of lower offers it would be best to post the highest offer in the topic they come.