IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing Auction Date

nagn2

I doubt he sold more than a dozen, given where he was advertising. Its liekyl he sold none, and gave away a dozen to his family and friends and these are the copies that are surfacing now. He would remember making 500 as opposed to a dozen or two, so i think its safe to say there is a large stash of these waiting to surface, somewhere.

post-10701-0-89680400-1345728382_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome quote from the comments to the joystiq article:

Nerds are scary. Old nerds doubly so. You can't really fake stuff like this until all the old nerds die and hoping that they didn't raise and rage nerdspawn.

Just visit AtariAge forums to see this in action.

Even tho the carts are relatively benign and simple, there's a crap ton of small details that add up. Nerds can smell a fake miles away.

• Like 2

ok I did this just fro this thread. Mind you this label was solid down and I had no starting point, hence the creases at corners and I didn't want to wait. If you have any starting point at all you can remove this label w/zero damage. I use goo gone spray, the trick is pull at a slow angle to avoid crease and constanly spray the goo gone under label and pull slow let the goo gone do the work. If label starts to come up w/adhesive add more goo gone and tilt cart to get adhesive lose.

Now what you glue lable back on with is still to be determined. I would probably stay away from super glue in case somone else wants to remove label. So I would use a glue that would easily be dissolved again. I also wipe off the goo gone and swipe cart over w/alcohol to removes remnatnts of goo gone.

100_2584.jpg

100_2587.jpg

100_2586.jpg

100_2588.jpg

ok I did this just fro this thread. Mind you this label was solid down and I had no starting point, hence the creases at corners and I didn't want to wait. If you have any starting point at all you can remove this label w/zero damage. I use goo gone spray, the trick is pull at a slow angle to avoid crease and constanly spray the goo gone under label and pull slow let the goo gone do the work. If label starts to come up w/adhesive add more goo gone and tilt cart to get adhesive lose.

Now what you glue lable back on with is still to be determined. I would probably stay away from super glue in case somone else wants to remove label. So I would use a glue that would easily be dissolved again. I also wipe off the goo gone and swipe cart over w/alcohol to removes remnatnts of goo gone.

As a collector, archivist and preservationist, I can tell you that something like this should be left to an expert...and then, only if absolutely necessary. You can easily destroy the label treating with this kind of process. I would consider this to be similar to cleaning a coin or refinishing an antique.

• Like 2

Well my knowlege does lack in atari, I have never opened an atari cart. I mainly deal w/nintendo. I assumed the screw needed to be removed in order to open the cartridge, and that was the big problem w/not opening it. I however have been cleaning/reviving carts for for a very long time and I see no problems w/goo gone myself.

Granted I did that fast because the cart doesn't have value and I didn't care much about the label. If I wanted I could remove that entire label (end label as well) and replace w/very minute damage if any. Too each their own.

I have been using goo gone for awhile and have yet to see any side effects from it being in contact w/labels. Whos knows, I guess since I don't have a business and charge for this service I can't classify myself a "professional" regardless if I have over a decade of experience dealing w/this kind of stuff.

Owell auction it off as is or pay someone who "advertsises" to do it. Ya I'm getting annoyed here, I'm exitinmg this thread while I'm still sane.

I wouldn't remove the label.

Even if it was all a hoax anyone who went through the trouble of programming an entire game/etc would know to use the correct Apollo PCB's like WIZ explained, and if they didn't I bet there is one in there now, lol

Besides, is the doubt even still around at this point with another being found?

• Like 1

I however have been cleaning/reviving carts for for a very long time and I see no problems w/goo gone myself.

I just want to point out that there are critical errors that can occur when repairing or reviving cartridge labels. You must consider what effects the solvents, adhesives and even your own oils will have on the label as time passes. The wrong solvent can destroy a label immediately. A revived cartridge may look great today, but in a year or two, an improper adhesive can ruin the label completely. Considering the value of the cartridge, this could be an extremely costly mistake.

• Like 1

I never saw the point of opening up the original in the first place either. There's no way of knowing how a homebrew developer would choose to create his carts bck in the 80s. So long as you used old parts, nobody could doubt what was inside the shell. If there was a prom, then that would make it 100% legit, but the chances of that are pretty much zero.

A dump and analysi of the dump would be the best way to confirm the legitimacy

• Like 4

Besides that, the front label does not have to be removed at all.

The cart can be opened by pressing the sides.

The end label, however, is vulnerable for damage during the opening of the cart.

8)

Hmmmm, if the end label on the Medium Bob cart is missing, there should be no concern with opening it up.

Besides, is the doubt even still around at this point with another being found?

God knows.

Actually, I would say that Moses probably could give you a much better first person account. :D

By the way, IMHO, I personally believe that no one should dare to open up this cart. Look at what happened to those Nazi's who "just had to have a peek" inside the lost ark of the covenant...

THEIR FACES MELTED OFF!!!!!

This cart is no different...it is a long lost religious artifact. Prepare for a face melting!

post-29022-0-17788500-1345755011_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I never saw the point of opening up the original in the first place either. There's no way of knowing how a homebrew developer would choose to create his carts bck in the 80s. So long as you used old parts, nobody could doubt what was inside the shell. If there was a prom, then that would make it 100% legit, but the chances of that are pretty much zero.

A dump and analysi of the dump would be the best way to confirm the legitimacy

But wouldn't both carts need to be dumped to compare the ROM's to check for bit rot and/or differences? Isn't the insides the most valuable parts?

Isn't the insides the most valuable parts?

The cart itself holds a TON of value for collectors, even more so being that it is an actual release and not a labeless prototype. Many collectors that don't do prototypes will still be gunning for this bad mamajamma :) In the NTSC world, this could possible be the rarest cart besides Birthdaymania. The second one will still pull a nice chunk of change for collecting purposes even after the "insides" have been reproduced and distributed. So while yes, the "insides" are MORE valuable for the first one since repro's will recoup some of the investment, the actual cart itself will still fetch a LOT of money long after the contents have been dumped/distributed/etc :)

The cart itself holds a TON of value for collectors, even more so being that it is an actual release and not a labeless prototype. Many collectors that don't do prototypes will still be gunning for this bad mamajamma :) In the NTSC world, this could possible be the rarest cart besides Birthdaymania. The second one will still pull a nice chunk of change for collecting purposes even after the "insides" have been reproduced and distributed. So while yes, the "insides" are MORE valuable for the first one since repro's will recoup some of the investment, the actual cart itself will still fetch a LOT of money long after the contents have been dumped/distributed/etc :)

If making reproductions is part of the value then part of what is being bought is the ROM. So, why would it be the first to be made into a reproduction? Wouldn't it be the one with the ROM that is in the best condition? If I were a buyer with the intent to make reproductions then I would have to know the condition of the ROM or if I were to be a buyer of a reproduction then I wouldn't want a copy of a bit rotten cart. If label condition is a factor then wouldn't ROM condition also be a factor?

If making reproductions is part of the value then part of what is being bought is the ROM. So, why would it be the first to be made into a reproduction? Wouldn't it be the one with the ROM that is in the best condition? If I were a buyer with the intent to make reproductions then I would have to know the condition of the ROM or if I were to be a buyer of a reproduction then I wouldn't want a copy of a bit rotten cart. If label condition is a factor then wouldn't ROM condition also be a factor?

I don't know man, your making it complicated. It's just the same process that always happens everytime someone finds a new game. They dump it, make some copies, we buy them, yea!! New game and cool collectable ;) First game is worth more because they make reproductions, second game will be purchased as a collectable because the ROM has already been reproduced and distributed :) I have yet to see a proto or unreleased ROM that was planned to be made into repro's haulted because they find partial bit rot, not saying it doesn't happen just saying I've never seen it....

• Like 1

Even if it does have bit rot, unless it's an obvious bug in the code, it's going to be really hard to prove that it's bit rot anyway. And it will be even harder to guess what the rotted bytes are supposed to be.. Both games clearly run.

Good luck getting either of the owners to dump the game and share it before the sale too.

I don't know man, your making it complicated. It's just the same process that always happens everytime someone finds a new game. They dump it, make some copies, we buy them, yea!! New game and cool collectable ;) First game is worth more because they make reproductions, second game will be purchased as a collectable because the ROM has already been reproduced and distributed :) I have yet to see a proto or unreleased ROM that was planned to be made into repro's haulted because they find partial bit rot, not saying it doesn't happen just saying I've never seen it....

I'm just trying to imagine what I would be looking for if I intended on buying one and making reproductions. I would want the one with the best condition inside and out to make the best reproductions. If nagn2's was the best I would bid on that. If Travis's was the best then during nagn2's auction I would contact Travis and say,"This is the max bid I'm willing to put on nagn2's cart. Do I bid on his or give it to you?" I might even try to contact the programmer and offer my max bid to him for the carts he has in storage. Anyway, my point is, if I were a buyer I would want all the information I could get to make an informed decision of which cart I would go for.

I'm just trying to imagine what I would be looking for if I intended on buying one and making reproductions. I would want the one with the best condition inside and out to make the best reproductions. If nagn2's was the best I would bid on that. If Travis's was the best then during nagn2's auction I would contact Travis and say,"This is the max bid I'm willing to put on nagn2's cart. Do I bid on his or give it to you?" I might even try to contact the programmer and offer my max bid to him for the carts he has in storage. Anyway, my point is, if I were a buyer I would want all the information I could get to make an informed decision of which cart I would go for.

I hear what your saying but as fas as we can tell it's fully playable/etc and the odds of having both owners "dump" the ROMS to compare before they sell it is zero, it just ain't happening :) Besides, with all the hype on this one even if glitches were found repro's would still be made/sold, just look at Snow White and Charlie Brown...

http://www.atariage....-edition-as-is/

As far as I know they are both pretty much unplayable and mainly just a collectors piece...