IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing Auction Date

nagn2

Isn't the insides the most valuable parts?

The cart itself holds a TON of value for collectors, even more so being that it is an actual release and not a labeless prototype. Many collectors that don't do prototypes will still be gunning for this bad mamajamma :) In the NTSC world, this could possible be the rarest cart besides Birthdaymania. The second one will still pull a nice chunk of change for collecting purposes even after the "insides" have been reproduced and distributed. So while yes, the "insides" are MORE valuable for the first one since repro's will recoup some of the investment, the actual cart itself will still fetch a LOT of money long after the contents have been dumped/distributed/etc :)

If making reproductions is part of the value then part of what is being bought is the ROM. So, why would it be the first to be made into a reproduction? Wouldn't it be the one with the ROM that is in the best condition? If I were a buyer with the intent to make reproductions then I would have to know the condition of the ROM or if I were to be a buyer of a reproduction then I wouldn't want a copy of a bit rotten cart. If label condition is a factor then wouldn't ROM condition also be a factor?

I don't know man, your making it complicated. It's just the same process that always happens everytime someone finds a new game. They dump it, make some copies, we buy them, yea!! New game and cool collectable ;) First game is worth more because they make reproductions, second game will be purchased as a collectable because the ROM has already been reproduced and distributed :) I have yet to see a proto or unreleased ROM that was planned to be made into repro's haulted because they find partial bit rot, not saying it doesn't happen just saying I've never seen it....

I'm just trying to imagine what I would be looking for if I intended on buying one and making reproductions. I would want the one with the best condition inside and out to make the best reproductions. If nagn2's was the best I would bid on that. If Travis's was the best then during nagn2's auction I would contact Travis and say,"This is the max bid I'm willing to put on nagn2's cart. Do I bid on his or give it to you?" I might even try to contact the programmer and offer my max bid to him for the carts he has in storage. Anyway, my point is, if I were a buyer I would want all the information I could get to make an informed decision of which cart I would go for.

I hear what your saying but as fas as we can tell it's fully playable/etc and the odds of having both owners "dump" the ROMS to compare before they sell it is zero, it just ain't happening :) Besides, with all the hype on this one even if glitches were found repro's would still be made/sold, just look at Snow White and Charlie Brown...

http://www.atariage....-edition-as-is/

As far as I know they are both pretty much unplayable and mainly just a collectors piece...

Not dumping is the complete opposite of what I would do. I wouldn't dump it for distribution but I would have it dumped to be studied by members who know what they are doing and can be trusted to not distribute it. I would ask them to post what they found, if there is anything interesting in it, Easter eggs, clever programming techniques,... I would also send a dump to Rom Hunter to preserve but not to put on his site until the purchaser of the cart gives him the okay after they sold their reproductions because I believe Rom can be trusted to do that. I would do that because it seems like the right way to go about it and it would give potential buyers complete confidence in the cart inside and out.

Isn't the insides the most valuable parts?

The cart itself holds a TON of value for collectors, even more so being that it is an actual release and not a labeless prototype. Many collectors that don't do prototypes will still be gunning for this bad mamajamma :) In the NTSC world, this could possible be the rarest cart besides Birthdaymania. The second one will still pull a nice chunk of change for collecting purposes even after the "insides" have been reproduced and distributed. So while yes, the "insides" are MORE valuable for the first one since repro's will recoup some of the investment, the actual cart itself will still fetch a LOT of money long after the contents have been dumped/distributed/etc :)

If making reproductions is part of the value then part of what is being bought is the ROM. So, why would it be the first to be made into a reproduction? Wouldn't it be the one with the ROM that is in the best condition? If I were a buyer with the intent to make reproductions then I would have to know the condition of the ROM or if I were to be a buyer of a reproduction then I wouldn't want a copy of a bit rotten cart. If label condition is a factor then wouldn't ROM condition also be a factor?

I don't know man, your making it complicated. It's just the same process that always happens everytime someone finds a new game. They dump it, make some copies, we buy them, yea!! New game and cool collectable ;) First game is worth more because they make reproductions, second game will be purchased as a collectable because the ROM has already been reproduced and distributed :) I have yet to see a proto or unreleased ROM that was planned to be made into repro's haulted because they find partial bit rot, not saying it doesn't happen just saying I've never seen it....

I'm just trying to imagine what I would be looking for if I intended on buying one and making reproductions. I would want the one with the best condition inside and out to make the best reproductions. If nagn2's was the best I would bid on that. If Travis's was the best then during nagn2's auction I would contact Travis and say,"This is the max bid I'm willing to put on nagn2's cart. Do I bid on his or give it to you?" I might even try to contact the programmer and offer my max bid to him for the carts he has in storage. Anyway, my point is, if I were a buyer I would want all the information I could get to make an informed decision of which cart I would go for.

I hear what your saying but as fas as we can tell it's fully playable/etc and the odds of having both owners "dump" the ROMS to compare before they sell it is zero, it just ain't happening :) Besides, with all the hype on this one even if glitches were found repro's would still be made/sold, just look at Snow White and Charlie Brown...

http://www.atariage....-edition-as-is/

As far as I know they are both pretty much unplayable and mainly just a collectors piece...

Not dumping is the complete opposite of what I would do. I wouldn't dump it for distribution but I would have it dumped to be studied by members who know what they are doing and can be trusted to not distribute it. I would ask them to post what they found, if there is anything interesting in it, Easter eggs, clever programming techniques,... I would also send a dump to Rom Hunter to preserve but not to put on his site until the purchaser of the cart gives him the okay after they sold their reproductions because I believe Rom can be trusted to do that. I would do that because it seems like the right way to go about it and it would give potential buyers complete confidence in the cart inside and out.

When collectors purchase unfinished prototypes...in this case, yes, the more complete proto would be more desirable to reproduce and sell, as this has to do with more of the game being completed. Red Sea Crossing is a final release, so the ROM's from both existing carts should be identical. The chance of bit rot is there, but it is only a chance. As far as bit rot goes, I am not sure that dumping the ROM would be conclusive, unless we had a perfect ROM image to compare it to.

LOL, it's funny to think that after only 5 pages this thread has already significantly dropped in interest......just goes to show, in my opinion! :D

it's not that we're not interested. we're sick of the same people saying the same crap over and over.

i am still interested. i'm just tired of reading comments from the same members who are repeating themselves.

see? ^ like that.

• Like 5

LOL, it's funny to think that after only 5 pages this thread has already significantly dropped in interest......just goes to show, in my opinion! :D

it's not that we're not interested. we're sick of the same people saying the same crap over and over.

i am still interested. i'm just tired of reading comments from the same members who are repeating themselves.

see? ^ like that.

Ditto. We now have two copies of this cartridge, two people who say that they are eager to sell and zero have been put up for sale. So, I will just believe it when I see it. Until then, I've got plenty of other hobbies to spend money on...

Even the best roller coaster ride in the world needs a break to get a blue rasberry icee with a giant pretzel. It will perk back up, just at a stand still now because of nobody selling yet :)

This thread and the Flyer thread are the first ones I look to for updates--especially from the two owners which is, unfortunately, rare. I'm looking forward to playing this game more than that Star Castle game (even taking into account the flashing lights) and I believe it will be made available eventually. In the meantime, this subject has been analyzed inside and out, literally, for 5 years! Time for the owners (nagn2, in particular) to sell or get off the pot, so to speak ;)

Even the best roller coaster ride in the world needs a break to get a blue rasberry icee with a giant pretzel.

The last time I made that mistake I puked all over the place...I completely ruined a pair of Garanimals in the process!!!

• Like 1

Even the best roller coaster ride in the world needs a break to get a blue rasberry icee with a giant pretzel.

The last time I made that mistake I puked all over the place...I completely ruined a pair of Garanimals in the process!!!

....but dude!! Thats more room for greasy amusement park food, score!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the longer video. Game looks great! Looks like there is a lot to it and it has nice graphic details with the fish swimming at the bottom. Don't have the means to buy your copy but definitely interested in buying a repro if the winner decides to go that route (fingers crossed).

Hre is the link to the story Mike from Gamegavel wrote about it.

http://www.gamegavel...of-holy-grails/

"It is hard to believe, but in the past couple years there have been a few rare instances of these “Holy Grail” video games bringing in upwards of $50,000"

Which games sold for more than $50K?

Smart move putting it up for auction before Travis,but not so smart using Gamegavel for a game like this.

You would get lots more bids using Ebay.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the winner does not release the rom,that would lower the value of the game...

I agree about GameGavel, simply due to traffic and visibility, but most of the hardcore collectors with deep pockets will know of the auction. Those are going to be the ones who will pay top dollar for this in the end anyhow.

As for a ROM release, I am not sure that the winner of this auction will have the luxury of sitting on the cart and doing nothing. At very least, they will be in the position to recoup some of their money by selling a reproduction. By now, everyone knows that there is another copy out there ready to be sold, so unless the buyer of nagn2's copy also buys the other copy at the curiosity shop in Philly, there is no guarantee that the value will hold for very long.

I am more than happy to purchase a reproduction of this game, as it looks quite fun! Best of luck with your auction nagn2. I will try to throw my hat in the ring if the entry price is within my means! :thumbsup: