IGNORED

Amazing A8 YouTube channel!

SIO99

that's why i consider a fixation with BASIC a bad thing personally.

Hope that doesn't put you off doing anything for 4K Basic game challenge, if you were going to ;)

i'm considering it, but finding time might be a problem... that and i haven't written anything in Atari BASIC since about 1984! Now if you did an assembly language version i'd be up for it as soon as my writing deadline was done! =-)

commodore BASIC is from $A000-$BFFF, hence the little 4K hole from C000-CFFF people use for wedges, little blocks of machine code or any other big block of data that needs to be poked in from basic.

I never did understand why they didn't just map the bloody thing in at $B000-$CFFF and be done with. That way folks could've had a choice - if they wanted more basic memory they had an extra 4k, if they wanted that 4K for other purposes they could just move the ramtop down.

I never did understand why they didn't just map the bloody thing in at $B000-$CFFF and be done with. That way folks could've had a choice - if they wanted more basic memory they had an extra 4k, if they wanted that 4K for other purposes they could just move the ramtop down.

i'm guessing, but think it's something to do with ROMs being mapped into the second half of 16K banks (or possibly even not overlapping bank boundaries?) and positioning BASIC in particular to allow it to be kicked out by the back end of a 16K cartridge ROM.

<vulgar_rant>

Why the fuck am I EVER reading ANYTHING about the Commodore 64 here? For fuck sake man, GET OVER IT!

</vulgar_rant>

It's the pro Commie brigade, inferiority complex and all that.

Are you sure it's not the other way around? There wouldn't be any need for Atarians to start threads like this one if there wasn't just a teensy likkle bit of insecurity going on...?

i don't get why some dyed-in-the-wool Atarians are so anti the C64 bunnies here to be honest... most of us are coders who turned up to write Atari games and demos or help with other people's projects, is there some level of jealousy because we're doing stuff the hardcore Atari lovers who aren't able to code can't do themselves or something...?

• Like 3

I wish people would stop posting off topic comments about the shitty Commodore 64 games console in this thread!

Well... post something with a load of POKEs in it and you attract C64 programmers so it's your own fault isn't it. Next you'll be complaining when the POKEs needed for players and missiles get compared to the C64 too!

The right place for that would be the topic "My new blog".

Strictly speaking, My new blog shouldn't have been started in the Atari 8-bit part of the board in the first place since the blog itself is an ill-informed bash blog about the C64 comparing the single aspect you've irrationally taken offence to against multiple platforms rather than anything specifically to do with the Atari 8-bit.

• Like 1