IGNORED

Can anyone port Donkey Kong to the Genesis?

CorTat-G

Hello, I would like to know if the anyone out there could make a port of Donkey Kong for the Genesis, I'm not talking from scratch, I'm talking about ripping the actual ROM onto the Genesis, then tweaking it by moving the Scores/lives to the side of the screen for more clarity of the playfield. Like how Frogger is on the Genesis(I'm pretty sure that's a exact rip). I'm sure the Genesis is capable of such a thing, but, then again, I know next to nothing about computing.

Here is a mock screenshot I made:

post-26390-0-51301900-1345175706_thumb.png

Thanks!

Short answer no. The hardware is different enough and the Genesis is slow enough not to allow for emuation. You could easily recreate Donkey Kong though. That's how they did Frogger.

If you feel strongly enough about the project even a beginner such as yourself can make it happen using BASIC:

http://devster.monkeeh.com/sega/basiegaxorz/

Edited by theloon
  • Like 1

I sure would be awesome if someone did choose to program classic arcade ports for the Genesis. The Genesis should be plenty powerful enough to handle perfect ports, the only thing being the aspect ratio for vertical games, which could be done like you show in your mock up with the score and other info displayed on the right side of the screen.

A Genesis homebrew scene for classic ports like exists for the 7800 and ColecoVision would be a wonderful thing, especially considering how cheap and reliable the hardware is.

• Like 6

If someone wanted to go for an arcade perfect port, this should save quite some time. Given the simplicity of the graphics, personally I would even think that re-programming the game logic and getting it bug free would require most of the time.

(This should not be underestimated. When Pitfall II was ported to the C64 and the Atari 800, they tried two variants: The Atari 800 version reused the code from the Atari 2600 and the C64 version was written from scratch. In the end the C64 version took a month longer for testing and debugging).

I have no idea why this would be done, but I can tell you a CIB version of Donkey Kong would make its way to my collection for sure. Again, I don't know why that sounds so bad ass, but it certainly does. It would need a box and manual to make it worth owning for me (as all my Sega Gen/CD stuff is going boxed only) but it would be pretty darn cool. Maybe a black grib box.... oh yeah that would do nicely.

Wish I had what it took to program homebrews for these older systems, I might just love it if I could get to a point that it wasn't a pure chore to do it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if there's an advantage to using the original code. The look and feel can be easily reproduced.

The advantage of using (or at least porting) the original code is making the game control identically to the original. There are a few crappy Super Mario Bros clones for the Genesis, for example, that were programmed from the ground up (admittedly rush jobs by people just looking to make a few bucks). There is one good and accurate port, done by Mairtrus. He actually uses the original graphics data (converted on-the-fly), a palette provided by me, emulates the sound hardware, and ported the code more or less directly. The only real difference that I'm aware of is that the minus world bug doesn't act the same (world 36 is not the "looping 2-2" of the NES game, but then again the FDS version of SMB also had a different minus world).

It would definitely be possible, but it would be easiest to do if there were a full disassembly of arcade DK out there as much of the heavy lifting would already be done.

Edit: Looking closer at that mockup, I decided I wanted to see what it'd look like at 1:1 pixel resolution. I did not aspect-correct the original-style DK logo (as this was a quick and dirty job, it would need to be vertically squished to look proper on an NTSC console, or slightly vertically stretched to look proper on PAL), nor did I quantize the logo to 16-colors using Genesis-style 9-level RGB. However, I felt such a layout might look a little better, and the logo fills up some of the extra space well. Might even throw in a "©1981 NINTENDO" on two lines in the classic font if you want to use up a couple more rows.

dkgenesismockup.png

Edited by LocalH
  • Like 1

A Genesis homebrew scene for classic ports like exists for the 7800 and ColecoVision would be a wonderful thing, especially considering how cheap and reliable the hardware is.

Agreed. Not even sure if there is a Genesis homebrew scene is there? BTW I would definitely buy a Donkey Kong cart, especially if it came with a nice homemade case insert and manual.

http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum

There haven't been many cart releases (Pier Solar is probably the most high-profile one that I can think of, and that was even a 100% original game to beat it all) but there's plenty of coding going on. The focus tends to be on more original stuff although sometimes there are ports of games (if you've ever heard of Uwol: Quest for Money, it was ported to the Genesis).

One thing that a lot of you may not have stopped to think about is the controller mapping - once the game is started, you could plug in any number of classic controllers. Nostalgia abounds!

This thread really fascinates me. I have 2 Genesis', one of which I'm trying to unload, and I never use the damn thing. Classic games being ported could change that. :)

I don't think so, at least not my the original poster.

Maybe Mairtrus could be convinced to run his NES to Genesis recompiler on the NES version:

http://devster.probo...play&thread=613

Also, anyone who feels strong enough about this can use a BASIC compiler known a BasiEgaXorz to do it themselves fairly easily:

http://devster.monke...ga/basiegaxorz/

P.S. I was kidding about Congo Bongo. I just can't seem to get into that game :)

Edited by theloon
  • Like 1