IGNORED

Forgotten FPS Games - Part 2

Metal Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12zGtbW9fis

Not every series of first person shooters gets a proper sequel like Call of Duty or Halo. Instead some FPS games come on the market, maybe get a sequel if we're lucky and then sadly fade into the sunset. This week these 7 unloved FPS gems get one last glance from fans of the genre.

• Like 1

Hello, MJ... first thing I do whenever I see a vid like this is look for the "list" of games being discussed in the vid. Sometimes, I don't have time to watch a vid to see which games are covered and I'd simply like to see the list. I looked under the 'description' portion of your youtube posting, but didn't see a list. And seeing as the vid is 14 mins long, I assume that's around 2 mins per game for all 7 games. I wish there was a quicker way to see your list of 7 games chosen for the them of your video.

Blood was simply a mod of Duke Nukem (imo) so in a round about way, it was a sequel albeit with a slightly different, fleshed out story.

Breakdown looks interesting, I haven't opened my copy yet.

I would love to play Black, but the controls (the speed for the analog stick is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO painfully slow) for the PS2 version from what I could see, are a joke. I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to play a FPS with such slow turning controls. Do you know if the Xbox version has quicker Analog Stick controls??? Looks like a badass FPS for the time, but I can't play it with the PS2 slow controls.

Singularity - in regard to your, "for whatever reason, a lot of people have not picked up and played..." - imo, no one bought it for the Console because it has NO V-Sync, and tears constantly (reviewers were actually honest about the poor performance of it on the console ports). One has to play it on PC to have a tear free experience. I still haven't opened my copy, it's Raven so I imagine it'll be top notch :D

cool vid, keep 'em coming!

:thumbsup:

Hello, MJ... first thing I do whenever I see a vid like this is look for the "list" of games being discussed in the vid. Sometimes, I don't have time to watch a vid to see which games are covered and I'd simply like to see the list. I looked under the 'description' portion of your youtube posting, but didn't see a list. And seeing as the vid is 14 mins long, I assume that's around 2 mins per game for all 7 games. I wish there was a quicker way to see your list of 7 games chosen for the them of your video.

Hey, I appreciate the feedback. It's a tricky situation, because I want people to watch the entire video and have no idea what game will come next. Some of the comments I get are "I was soooo glad to finally see SHOGO at the end!". With a list upfront, people wouldn't get that satisfaction... Also YouTube provides me with a tool that shows how attentive people are while watching the video. Do they alt-tab to another browser, rewind the video and/or watch til the end. YouTube uses those matrix to determine if they will Feature and Recommend your video to other viewers..so again, it's important to keep people engaged all the way through it. If they see a title like "Shogo" in a list, and have no idea what it is, they may decide to bail early. I look at videos like this as a Top 10 List, where everybody watching has their personal #1 and they are crossing their fingers in anticipation as the end gets closer.

Those are just some of the things that go through my thought process when uploading video. However, as a side note, I always put the game titles in the TAG section if you must know :)

Hey, I appreciate the feedback. It's a tricky situation, because I want people to watch the entire video and have no idea what game will come next. Some of the comments I get are "I was soooo glad to finally see SHOGO at the end!". With a list upfront, people wouldn't get that satisfaction... Also YouTube provides me with a tool that shows how attentive people are while watching the video. Do they alt-tab to another browser, rewind the video and/or watch til the end. YouTube uses those matrix to determine if they will Feature and Recommend your video to other viewers..so again, it's important to keep people engaged all the way through it. If they see a title like "Shogo" in a list, and have no idea what it is, they may decide to bail early. I look at videos like this as a Top 10 List, where everybody watching has their personal #1 and they are crossing their fingers in anticipation as the end gets closer.

Those are just some of the things that go through my thought process when uploading video. However, as a side note, I always put the game titles in the TAG section if you must know :)

That's pretty interesting... don't take this the wrong way, but the way I read what you wrote is, that you're attempting to make it harder for the watcher to get an overall assessment of what the video contains at quick glance, because you want to keep the attention of the one watching the video...? I can see why you're doing it, in regard to that, but wow... I think that's nuts. I don't have time to watch every minute of every youtube vid I come across... and when I'm constructing/adding to my Wantlists, the 'laaaast' thing I want, is to be gimmicked into watching a vid simply to learn what the contents of the list are.

For example, I looked at your Video because I've added a few to my wantlists from watching your vids, so I knew you'd have something interesting to share.... but being forced to constantly 'fast foward' to the major break points of the vid, simply so I can see what games the list is made up of, is counterintuitive to my 'wantlist time' if that makes any sense to you ;-)..

Not so much for those who are simply trying to work on their wantlists in a timely and efficient manner.

So in essence, I don't think there's anything "tricky" about it... if I was posting the vid, I'd simply add a list somewhere for those to see which games the vid is made up of, so that those who don't have time to watch the vid can see the list, and for those who don't want to have the surprise ruined (those who intend on watching the vid for entertainment purposes), they can simply not look at said list.

:)

No tricks and nothing nefarious going on. I just view my little videos as mini-movies or TV shows...and I prefer to not reveal the entire plot sometimes :)

Do you have any idea how strange that comes off to someone who simply wants to see the 'list'..... I understand you enjoy making movies of yourself, and you enjoy seeing other people watch you in your movies, and you enjoy talking about it, and hearing others talk about it... yada... that's all fine and dandy, but what about those who simply want quick and easy access to said, "plot"? ;-) Aren't those viewers worth your consideration?

This video for example, was a perfect candidate for providing a list at the start of the vid, or during... your vids with Mr. Hancock are entirely different, 'those' are mini-movies/tv shows imho.

I hope you see where I'm coming from. I think your videos are well done, I think you know your stuff (sometimes I disagree with your opininons, but your facts seem on point), you have a light hearted disposition that's easy to enjoy, and you're obviously into some solid video games. You can never go wrong with presenting your viewers, options. :thumbsup: :) That's my feedback.

Let me explain what I meant by, "strange" - the thought that someone would make a video and set it up in a fashion that's most condusive to proving the maker of the video is A. Getting a lot of hits, B. Keeping viewers engaged for long periods of time, C. Is AD worthy (for $$$) Comes off as anti-gaming ever so slightly imho... when one cares more about the hit count on a vid, or the propsensity to make a vid AD worth for purposes of generating AD income - is when things are getting strange imo.

Now, please don't get me wrong... I am 'not' saying that you feel that way ^ or that ^ is what you're attempting to accomplish with your videos (I do 'not' mean to imply you care more about hit count than substance)... I'm only saying that when someone mentions things like "YouTube provides me with a tool that shows how attentive people are while watching the video." - because to me, that looks like the hit count might be more important than the substance of the video.

I hope that makes sense... and I hope you don't think I'm dogging on you, because I'm not.