IGNORED

Cmart's Parker Bros Intellivision variations thread

cmart604

Time to do another variations thread for the Intellivision....this time from the fine folks at Parker Brothers.

While Keith may have called them out for their game quality as an example of why the crash happened, which many may disagree with, I find their games to be some of my favourite to collect as their boxes were solid (with one exception), and the artwork is generally great.

There were usually three types of boxes available, the regular US issue, the bilingual Canadian version and the International release. Here, sadly with one glaring omission, is all of the Parker Brothers boxes for the Intellivision.

First up is Frogger, which came in the standard three versions. This is the most common of the Parker Brothers releases, so the US one is really easy to find, the other 2 aren't too bad. (By the way, if you're trying to figure out which version a game is at a glance while you're squinting at ebay auction pictures on your iPhone, look at the blue stripe at the bottom of the front of the box.....if it has two lines of white text it's the US release, if it has one line it's the International one, and if there isn't a blue line, but rather some black writing, then it's the Canadian one.)

post-25458-0-15692100-1345339367_thumb.jpg

Next up is Qbert, which comes with a fourth version of the box, one that is a flip top, as opposed to the two piece boxes all the other versions came in...and no, I don't know why. The flip top box is nowhere near as sturdy either, and as a result, is difficult to find in mint shape.

post-25458-0-58842000-1345339515_thumb.jpg

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back might not be everyone's favourite game (probably the worst of the six, although I genuinely enjoy playing the other 5), but it is a great one from a collecting standpoint. Auctions of sealed versions of this often run above $100. This also came in three versions.

post-25458-0-58699900-1345339662_thumb.jpg

Popeye is another of the three box version games, but the Canadian one is particularly hard to find, second to "he who shall not be named" in my mind.

post-25458-0-34716300-1345339750_thumb.jpg

Second to last, and the priciest of the 6 regular releases, although it didn't actually receive a US release, is Tutankham. There is only one version of this box that I'm aware of, and it's the International one. If anyone has ever seen a Canadian version, please post pics, and if you happen to own one, you know how to PM me. This will generally run you between $100-150 CIB...and apparently over $1000 NIB!!!! Yikes.

post-25458-0-75206300-1345339971_thumb.jpg

Which of course brings us to the other game in the pic above and the second rarest regular issue, Super Cobra. Again, there was no US release, but there was a freakishly limited release in Canada. This remains on my most wanted list, and came in at number 4 on our Top 30 Intellivision variations list. http://www.atariage....ion-variations/

If this comes up for auction, I'm probably going to sell my home to raise funds. Just sayin.

Finally, one final pic just for fun....all six of the International Parker Brothers releases....sealed. :evil:

post-25458-0-08749700-1345340183_thumb.jpg

Edited by cmart604
  • Like 2

cmart, when are you gonna open the British Columbia museum of Intellivision.

Also when will you offering tour your underground intv storage bunkers? even if its just the las vegas poker and blackjack bunker. :)

everything is stored in a bunker made of las Vegas poker and blackjacks...
  • Like 1

cmart, when are you gonna open the British Columbia museum of Intellivision.

Also when will you offering tour your underground intv storage bunkers? even if its just the las vegas poker and blackjack bunker. :)

everything is stored in a bunker made of las Vegas poker and blackjacks...

This. I've actually made a car for my son out of them as well, mind you it only goes 70 miles an hour. He is 7 afterall.

• 4 months later...

Cmart do you have this one?

French Canadian but no Parker logo on the front?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1110011614141?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=111001161414&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I'd buy it myself but i already have one, I've bought from this seller before, she's excellent.

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I do in fact have this one too but forgot to put it in the thread. Doh!

I'm intrigued by your mention that Star Wars is the worse of the bunch. It's crappy and unresponsive, but I find Frogger infuriatingly bad: crap graphics, crap game play, crap music (cutting off at the first jump, seriously PB?), and crap controls.

I love Frogger, but PB Frogger is an abomination. I think they felt left behind and poached Coleco's programmers, you know, the ones that made DK. LOL!

-dZ.

I'm intrigued by your mention that Star Wars is the worse of the bunch. It's crappy and unresponsive, but I find Frogger infuriatingly bad: crap graphics, crap game play, crap music (cutting off at the first jump, seriously PB?), and crap controls.

I love Frogger, but PB Frogger is an abomination. I think they felt left behind and poached Coleco's programmers, you know, the ones that made DK. LOL!

-dZ.

i play frogger alot. aint that bad to me. my big pb complaint is controls on popeye trying to go up and down stairs. you have to be in a precise position to do so. still i love me some popeye though. Edited by pimpmaul69