IGNORED

(Astronomical) Australian ColecoVision Pricing

Holy_Krypt

Firstly, forgive the noobishness of this question - I am very new to ColecoVision.

I have been very eager for a number of months to get my hands on a Coleco, mostly to play some classic arcade titles that I missed on the 2600.

Now, the Australian market in video game collecting is inconsistent at best, but I would really like to know why this recent Ebay auctions ended the way it did - with what seems to be a very high price tag:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2308351376331?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=230835137633&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

What particular game/peripheral would drive prices up to these levels? I couldn't identify any particularly rare games in that lot - some uncommon, I suppose, but not enough to drive the price up that high...surely?

Another recent Australian auction went for about $600 but it was boxed with expansion module #1 and #2, so I kind of understand that a little better.

And if there are any Australians out there, is this typical for the Australian market?

It had to be because of the Australian Power Supply Unit like PixelBoy stated, but still, $660.50 is a ridiculous price to pay especially considering that I've seen a couple of these Australian systems come up for auction in the last year. When you gotta have it, you gotta have it... unless of course there was some funny business going on with the bidding/bidders.

The fact that he showed a TV screen shot with no cartridge inserted would make me a little leery too. That power supply does look pretty cool, I don't pay attention to non-USA ColecoVision hardware so it is the first time I have ever seen the Australian ColecoVision Power supply.

I have shipped a few fully modded NTSC ColecoVisions to Austrailia shipping is around $70, you could get your games local or get the SD multi-cart from Atarimax.

Thanks for the replies; this is all fascinating to me. I had no idea there was aggressive demand for the Australian adaptor. I suppose this leaves casual collectors like me (I was only prepared to spend $150 or so) with limited options as we'll always be outdone by international buyers. Anyway, at least my story has a happy ending - I managed to track down a Colecovision, expansion module #1 and #2 (boxed) with Donkey Kong, Lady Bug, Smurf, Turbo, Space Fury, Venture, Carnivale and Cosmic Avenger all boxed and a stack of miscellaneous boxed Atari games for $65. Not bad all things considered.

I am extremely surprised by this results too considering Colecovision here sell for about $100-$150! I have been through a few Colecovision in my collection during the years which I have picked up locally here in South Australia. I have never come across this power supply either, although I have seen it a few times on eBay. So they might be rare, even for Australian release. Not sure.

I have never come across this power supply either, although I have seen it a few times on eBay. So they might be rare, even for Australian release. Not sure.

I would be interested to know if there is anything unique about that particular adaptor that would make it so intensely desired. I thought all Australian power adaptors were the same - quite different from the US adaptors, but I wasn't aware of any regional variation within Australia. Now I'm really intrigued to find out what I receive from the guy I purchased from.

Edited by Holy_Krypt

Anyway, at least my story has a happy ending - I managed to track down a Colecovision, expansion module #1 and #2 (boxed) with Donkey Kong, Lady Bug, Smurf, Turbo, Space Fury, Venture, Carnivale and Cosmic Avenger all boxed and a stack of miscellaneous boxed Atari games for $65. Not bad all things considered.

If you don't mind me asking, and without being too specific, did you find this at a garage sale or something? Always get a bit envious when I read about these finds. But being in Melbourne... well, you know what people that live in Melbourne are like...

If you don't mind me asking, and without being too specific, did you find this at a garage sale or something? Always get a bit envious when I read about these finds. But being in Melbourne... well, you know what people that live in Melbourne are like...

I've sent you a PM about this.

The Australian CV power supply box is a true collector's item, and some collectors from other countries are willing to pay big bucks to get one.

If I may ask, I am interested to know why it is so valued by overseas collectors? I have tried to find more information on this but I've come up with nothing. Is it better functioning than the US one? Or does it have any other inherent advantage that I just can't see from my perspective?

The Australian CV power supply box is a true collector's item, and some collectors from other countries are willing to pay big bucks to get one.

If I may ask, I am interested to know why it is so valued by overseas collectors? I have tried to find more information on this but I've come up with nothing. Is it better functioning than the US one? Or does it have any other inherent advantage that I just can't see from my perspective?

Rarity, my friend. Pure and simple rarity. If you can't wrap your head around the concept now, you never will. :)

The first time I ever saw an australian CV power supply was last June, on eBay. Before then, I had no idea they existed, and I even started a thread about it: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/198910-i-had-no-idea-australian-cv-power-supplies-were-so-different/?do=findComment&comment=2536814