IGNORED

Starpath newbie asks why tapes don't work

Mind Master

You are trying to escape from yourself aren't you ? :D

Nevermind, your tapes are probably shot due to electromagnetic fields that have damaged your tapes. Either that or your tapes have been worn out from being played back too much.

Thats my $0.02,- anyway.

Could be a couple of things. What kind of tape player are you using? The one I use has a tape speed control and the speed of the tape makes a difference (too fast or too slow is bad). So if you have speed control check that.

Flip the tape over, rewind the B side and try that side. Most of my Starpath tapes are worn out on the A side, and only play the B side nowadays. The game is the same on both sides.

I've not run into the volume issue Matty mentioned, but by all means try toggling that as well.

Any other info you can give me to help diagnose? Don't give up on those old tapes yet! :)

The Starpath tapes are in good condition and I doubt they're worn out from overuse. They haven't been stored next to any obvious magnetic field producing equipment.

My main question is this: does anybody have original Starpath tapes that still work?

Also, where can I find info about this Starpath CD - is it commercially available?

The Starpath tapes are in good condition and I doubt they're worn out from overuse.  They haven't been stored next to any obvious magnetic field producing equipment.  

My main question is this:  does anybody have original Starpath tapes that still work?  

Also, where can I find info about this Starpath CD - is it commercially available?

http://www.the-laser.com/stella_gets_a_new.htm

I just got the Stella gets a New Brain CD from Hozer before it closed and I have been unable to load Survival Island. When I start on track 20, I get the message "REWIND TAPE." Since this is the first track of the multiload, I am at a loss to what the problem is or what I am doing wrong.

I have been able to load the other games and track 19 loads Sword of Saros without a problem.

Anyone have this problem?

I guess from exploring some of the links above that the Stella Gets A New Brain CD is no longer available - Hozer Video was the last place you could get it and that's closed.

Well, Hozer has closed its web site, but has not closed shop entirely. You can get them from:

Randy Crihfield

P.O. Box 1332

Pepperell, MA 01463

They're $5 each, but I'm not sure if that includes postage or not, so you might want to write first.

I guess from exploring some of the links above that the Stella Gets A New Brain CD is no longer available - Hozer Video was the last place you could get it and that's closed.

Well, Hozer has closed its web site, but has not closed shop entirely. You can get them from:

Randy Crihfield

P.O. Box 1332

Pepperell, MA 01463

They're $5 each, but I'm not sure if that includes postage or not, so you might want to write first.

Postage was included in the $5 with my order. :)

If you can get the CD from Randy, that's your best bet. I managed to get mine shortly before he closed Hozer. (It's also nice to have because it has .bin files that work with emulators.)

But I'd suggest looking at what type of tape player you're using. Keep in mind - Starpath tapes were made basically for the old, cheap, mono cassette players. A stereo cassette player may not work as well. My guess is that on a stereo cassette player, the Supercharger is only going to be picking up sound from one of the channels (ie. half of the original mono signal), which effectively reduces the amount of potential information it can get from the tape. You'd need to either make a 1/4" stereo to 1/4" mono adapter, or look into buying a mono cassette recorder. Radio Shack should still sell them. It's possible Target does too. They were selling Sony branded ones a couple of years ago, but that's the last time I really looked.

If you're already using a mono cassette player, clean the heads with a little isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip, and crank up the volume.

• 3 weeks later...

Randy Crihfield  

P.O. Box 1332  

Pepperell, MA 01463  

Does Randy have an email addy? I hate sending $ blindly without knowing if he has any left...

There were a significant stock of leftover CDs that I donated to Randy. The booklets are all gone and some of the last CDs don't have jewel box inserts, but for $5 it's hard to go wrong.

I would be really surprised if he's managed to sell all of them.

Let me know if he's no longer selling them because if he isn't I'll have to ask him to pass the boxes on to someone else who will.

There were a significant stock of leftover CDs that I donated to Randy.   The booklets are all gone and some of the last CDs don't have jewel box inserts, but for $5 it's hard to go wrong.  

I would be really surprised if he's managed to sell all of them.

Let me know if he's no longer selling them because if he isn't I'll have to ask him to pass the boxes on to someone else who will.

Last I talked to Randy, he still had a bunch left.

And I'd gladly take over selling them if he stops.

i have the games in 44.1khz 16-bit wav format for creating an audio cd e-mail me

Um, no offense, but there already IS an audio CD, with extras on disc, and with instruction booklet, available for the low, low price of $5, shipped no less, so there's no need to pirate these games just yet.