IGNORED

Bad Boys, Bad Boy's.... Skyrim Cop's

Mendon

I've never really heard that said before. I've played hundreds of hours each of Morrowind and Oblivion and quite a bit of Skyrim. Each of those games is a unique experience both graphically and gameplay-wise. I would contend that the graphics move forward and the gameplay elements move backwards but mainstream players probably don't feel that way. Anyway, Skyrim looks very different compared to Oblivion. I really don't see how someone can feel those games look identical.

I've never really heard that said before. I've played hundreds of hours each of Morrowind and Oblivion and quite a bit of Skyrim. Each of those games is a unique experience both graphically and gameplay-wise. I would contend that the graphics move forward and the gameplay elements move backwards but mainstream players probably don't feel that way. Anyway, Skyrim looks very different compared to Oblivion. I really don't see how someone can feel those games look identical.

I've probably got close to 300 or more hours invested my ESIII character that I've been playing off and on since '07... less than 20 put into IV. From what I've seen of V, it looks extremely similar to IV... nothing like the jump from III to IV imho.

1. Same Time Period/Setting

2. Same Weapons/Monsters

3. Same Mindset overall

4. Same 'type' of Stories/Quest I would imagine

I could add more, but I've other things to do... those are the main similarities I noticed from watching mere minutes of Vs' footage.

Actually you are pretty much wrong on all those points.

1. Oblivion sees the end of the 3rd era shortly (a few years) after the events of Morrowind. Skyrim has a much larger separation occurring over 200 years into the 4th era. Each of the games takes place in a different province with Oblivion taking place in Cyrodiil while Skyrim is in the land of Skyrim. If what you actually mean is that they are all medieval fantasy games then I don't see your point. It is a medieval fantasy series.

2. As far as the weapons and monsters go Skyrim introduces many new enemies including the main point of the game which is the badass dragons. It also introduces big changes to weapons and armor including revamped enchanting and a crafting system.

3. The mindset is to create a fantasy character, dungeon crawl, kill stuff, and get loot. It's a genre and it requires pretty much those elements. Saying that these elements make the games all the same would be like saying that there's no need for more than one game that allows you to go fast in a car. It wouldn't be much of a genre if there weren't more than one game in it and more possibilities to explore. That is as true for the medieval fantasy and RPG genres as it is for the racing genre.

4. The game has an improved questing system that covers a brand new segment of Elder Scrolls lore. It is pretty epic too.

Morrowind is definitely my favorite TES game for a number of reasons. The two games that have followed are still awesome and there are a lot of things that have been improved.

Actually you are pretty much wrong on all those points.

1. Oblivion sees the end of the 3rd era shortly (a few years) after the events of Morrowind. Skyrim has a much larger separation occurring over 200 years into the 4th era. Each of the games takes place in a different province with Oblivion taking place in Cyrodiil while Skyrim is in the land of Skyrim. If what you actually mean is that they are all medieval fantasy games then I don't see your point. It is a medieval fantasy series.

2. As far as the weapons and monsters go Skyrim introduces many new enemies including the main point of the game which is the badass dragons. It also introduces big changes to weapons and armor including revamped enchanting and a crafting system.

3. The mindset is to create a fantasy character, dungeon crawl, kill stuff, and get loot. It's a genre and it requires pretty much those elements. Saying that these elements make the games all the same would be like saying that there's no need for more than one game that allows you to go fast in a car. It wouldn't be much of a genre if there weren't more than one game in it and more possibilities to explore. That is as true for the medieval fantasy and RPG genres as it is for the racing genre.

4. The game has an improved questing system that covers a brand new segment of Elder Scrolls lore. It is pretty epic too.

Morrowind is definitely my favorite TES game for a number of reasons. The two games that have followed are still awesome and there are a lot of things that have been improved.

Lol, I'm not sure why you're taking it the way you're taking it. You just further reinforced all 4 of my points. ;)

All 4 of those reasons are why I think IV and V look so similar. III does too, because of the overall Medieval setting, but the graphical leap from III to IV, is 10x greater than the graphical leap from IV to V - was my main point. My light hearted joke (that's now being taken into weird territory by yourself, Hyper_Eye) was simply pointing out how similar IV and V look... graphically.

yup

Edited by Protoplasym

Lol, I'm not sure why you're taking it the way you're taking it. You just further reinforced all 4 of my points. ;)

All 4 of those reasons are why I think IV and V look so similar. III does too, because of the overall Medieval setting, but the graphical leap from III to IV, is 10x greater than the graphical leap from IV to V - was my main point. My light hearted joke (that's now being taken into weird territory by yourself, Hyper_Eye) was simply pointing out how similar IV and V look... graphically.

yup

How I'm taking it? Where are we? This is a discussion forum. We are having a discussion. You can't expect to make assertions unchallenged. If so what is the point? It's not personal or at least it shouldn't be. It seems like you very quickly take things personally here. Stop reading more into things than is actually there.

I disagree with the idea that there are not significant differences between all 3 of the latest TES games. I also disagree with the idea that the leap in graphics from Morrowind to Oblivion was so much larger than the leap from Oblivion to Skyrim. 10x greater? Have you even played Skyrim? I didn't reinforce any of your points. If you see it that way your perception of my post is almost as skewed as your perception of Skyrim.

I'll have to admit I was confused by your post as well Protoplasym, I was looking for a scene that took place in Oblivion in that video, and didn't see one.

I'm guessing this is because the two games are easy to tell apart, regardless of any of the mulitple points you made.

I understand that it was a joke. it just didn't make a lot of sense to a fan I guess. Oblivion and Skyrim aren't close enough to mistake for one another so the joke falls flat I think.

• Like 1

yup

How I'm taking it? Where are we? This is a discussion forum. We are having a discussion. You can't expect to make assertions unchallenged. If so what is the point? It's not personal or at least it shouldn't be. It seems like you very quickly take things personally here. Stop reading more into things than is actually there.

I disagree with the idea that there are not significant differences between all 3 of the latest TES games. I also disagree with the idea that the leap in graphics from Morrowind to Oblivion was so much larger than the leap from Oblivion to Skyrim. 10x greater? Have you even played Skyrim? I didn't reinforce any of your points. If you see it that way your perception of my post is almost as skewed as your perception of Skyrim.

You're becoming silly over a dumb joke I made... you started the discussion, sir... not I. :thumbsup:

You said, "Skyrim looks very different", and "I really don't see how someone can feel those games look identical".

I gave you Four basic reasons why they're basically the same game, and you're the one who took it upon himself to initiate a diatribe into the 'finer differences' between the two games. I get it, V feels different for you for the reasons you listed/etc. I told you why all three games are essentially the same game to me. This all stems from a two second joke that I put very little effort into, and now I'm having to defend a dumb joke. :lol:

I would suggest you take heed to your own advice, thank you kindly.

Well I'm sorry to say that I do not share in your opinion that the differences are 'so' vast that they're as noteworthy as you make them out to be. III - IV is night and day... IV - V is icing on the cake in a nutshell. I respect your opinion as different than mine, simply respect mine.

(It's similar to the jump in tech from IDTech 3 - IDTech 4.. night and day. From IDTech 4 - IDTech 5, not so much... similar story, different game/engine)

I've played enough games to know what a game is going to 'feel like'... that may sound egotistical, but for me it happens to be the case 9/10.

I'm glad you're enjoying V so much... I'm sure I'll love it. :)

I'll have to admit I was confused by your post as well Protoplasym, I was looking for a scene that took place in Oblivion in that video, and didn't see one.

I'm guessing this is because the two games are easy to tell apart, regardless of any of the mulitple points you made.

I understand that it was a joke. it just didn't make a lot of sense to a fan I guess. Oblivion and Skyrim aren't close enough to mistake for one another so the joke falls flat I think.

No worries... I didn't know I was going to have to entertain a dissertative interrogation upon making such a silly joke. You live and you learn ;)

Edited by Protoplasym

You're becoming silly over a dumb joke I made... you started the discussion, sir... not I. :thumbsup:

Silly to you. My part in this started with a simple response to your simple statement. You proceeded to reinforce your statement with an argument. I then proceeded to rebut those claims. What do you know that's how discussions start! That's quite a novel thing on one of these things... what is it again... oh yeah... discussion forum. There was nothing wrong with the conversation until you decided I was taking something about it the wrong way. I'm not taking anything the wrong way. The original statement may have been a joke but the argument you made in support of that statement was not a joke. It was an actual opinion of which I had a differing opinion and I felt inclined to share it on this discussion forum (hey I can use the bold button too!) Just to alleviate any questions about what might happen going forward... if you continue posting on AA there will be times when I, and others, will have an opinion on what you say and there is a fair chance it will be posted. Try not to be shocked.

Silly to you. My part in this started with a simple response to your simple statement. You proceeded to reinforce your statement with an argument. I then proceeded to rebut those claims. What do you know that's how discussions start! That's quite a novel thing on one of these things... what is it again... oh yeah... discussion forum. There was nothing wrong with the conversation until you decided I was taking something about it the wrong way. I'm not taking anything the wrong way. The original statement may have been a joke but the argument you made in support of that statement was not a joke. It was an actual opinion of which I had a differing opinion and I felt inclined to share it on this discussion forum (hey I can use the bold button too!) Just to alleviate any questions about what might happen going forward... if you continue posting on AA there will be times when I, and others, will have an opinion on what you say and there is a fair chance it will be posted. Try not to be shocked.

:lol: Fair enough, I never intended for my light hearted effort to turn sour.... thank you for the warm welcome to the board :-D I will get my coat, and hopefully we can both simply agree that Bethesda are wizards when it comes to making Video Games. I appreciate and respect the passion with which you defended your position.