IGNORED

Emulation on the Original Xbox: COINOPS - The Last Emulator You'll Ever Use

I was also thinking a side-app that would work in tandem with CO5, it would verify, rename and move roms to the correct folders. CO5 could spit out an xml file that states what roms/iso are working, what to name the roms, and what folders they belong in, the side app would read that and the user would point it to a folder with their roms in it and presto, it would do all the work.

I would think one of the existing rom verifier apps, one that is open source like the "good tools" for instance. hell maybe Cowering himself can write it if asked to do it,

Well since adding game packs inside of CO5 would raise legal probs, I think we are talking about standalones only now. Then the only updates we'd have to worry about handling outside of CO itself would be game packs.

That's a cool idea about a game importer tool Mark... it could just look at a source folder for roms, detect what folder each should go in, rename them properly, etc.

this is exactly the kind of confusion that is sort of shrouding Coinops, the terminology between what is an "update" yadda yadda,

my whole idea is broken into two parts, the first part is to deal with core software updates to coinops, not the roms or isos, but the software end of things, weather it is a bug update, an addition of features or capabilities, that is all SOFTWARE and can be handled internally to coinops and if coinops connects to the internet, it can check a given server and see if it is up to date, if it is not up to date it will download and install the files. NO GAMES just files to update coinops the emulator

now, with that done, coinops spits out an xml file, on that file is a list of ALL the games and what those games should be named and what folder those games go in. I guess we also need a video made for each one but I think coinops can handle videos and not have to run into legal matters, however if coinops could take its own screenshots can it also make its own videos from the games as you play them?

anyway, I am getting ahead of myself

BP: can you make coinops internally update? yes or no? that is the question and by "update" I mean the CORE software, no games.

then all we need is a tool to verify, rename & move game roms to the proper place inside coinops but that would be SEPARATE from coinops itself

additionally it would be cool if coinops could make its own videos from gameplay, is that possible or do we still have to reply on a third party making those or making them ourselves?

I dont normal move games....out of 100 builds ive done it twice....

there is a supported games list file with all builds....

standalones are for fans really...so I dont have much issue there...they are betas with all the stuff people ask for....I tie it down and test and fix it all for a few months then release a full...

the site is there for people to ask questions and expand on whats there....over 12,000 games are now supported pack wise by others...I dont really look at this stuff but CoinOPS can do it....

in truth everything is just time and im only one person :)

BP: I don't mean to be a complainer but your last post didn't really address or answer the questions. I know you're one person but I hope you can see that a lot of the suggestions are actually designed to alleviate the amount of work and requests you get.

my biggest problem is that my build of coinops breaks when I try to update it. I am stuck with an old early version of 4.0 because I don't understand how the "standalone" updates work, the releases are too confusing especially when it is left to others to release these game packs, it gets way out of hand. I know I'm not the only one, this has been my main beef since the beginning. I just don't really hear you addressing it or maybe it is just you don't want to, which is cool, you're allowed to decide how you want to do things, I am not demanding anything but when you ask for feedback and it is given, I just figured you'd want to address it.

I am trying to suggest ways in which these issues would become non-issues. I think they are actually more important than adding more games. My guess is, I'd bet money even, that if you took a poll on your site and asked if coinops could update automatically like the homebrew channel most people, users current and pending, would agree that is high up on the priority list if not number one

edit: by the way BP I think you totally misunderstood what I meant by "move games" gievn your response. I was talking about an application that uses an xml file to rename and move the games from your rom collection into coinops folders, thereby alleviating the need for anyone to have to release game packs. add to that some way to make movies inside coinops and you alleviate all the work anyone would have to do.

Edited by Mark Wolfe

I agree and ill try and address it...but all you normally need to do is over write things....only the fan builds didnt do that all the rest you just copy it all over the top and the emulator will do everything itself....

yeah I hear you but it keeps breaking anyway, you can't just copy it over because you put in empty folders where the original folders have stuff in them. I can point out specifics if you like.

you guys should try RetroArch it a new multiplatform emulator for xbox 1 :) maybe its better

what on earth is RetroArch?? it can't be better, especially if you incorporate internal updates ;) hehe

just googled it, I think it is not xbox1 but 360, if I'm wrong please someone post links

Edited by Mark Wolfe

let me ask you this, please send me the link to update my version of coinops 4, I have one of the early releases, it is complete with games. it is the release that required a fix on a bad png file that caused people problems when unpacking

I can't update it without breaking it, this is why I sent the PM about FTP-ing me a full build of the latest CO4

just overwrite things....the folders with nothing in will do nothing it wont delete the contents (im not saying to delete anything.....just overwrite the folders are there incase you are just putting this on with no previous build)....100s of people use standalones with no issues they just overwrite everything and delete nothing....the emu will selfupdate when booted

retroarch is now on the xbox1......

just overwrite things....the folders with nothing in will do nothing it wont delete the contents (im not saying to delete anything.....just overwrite the folders are there incase you are just putting this on with no previous build)....100s of people use standalones with no issues they just overwrite everything and delete nothing....the emu will selfupdate when booted

retroarch is now on the xbox1......

PLEASE link to a file that I can use to overwrite my build as you claim because something I am doing is not working and I don't trust just going myself to download the right thing, link me to the latest update buold that i can ,a s you say, drop on top of my build, just link the url here if you would

also, do you have a link to retroarch on xbox1? I can't find that either

oh, also where will CO5 be released with all games inside it? the full build? usenet? some other site, isozone or something? I'd like it on my ftp if possible. can the public release of CO5 without games be dragged and droped on top of CO4, even an early build of CO4 and update it?

Edited by Mark Wolfe

sorry to quadruple post but I just re-read... you say empty folders won't do harm, but it will, how can you drop an empty folder called ROMS on top of a full folder called ROMS... it will overwrite the folder and then it will be empty... this is the problem I keep talking about. I don't think anyone is dragging and dropping UNLESS I am not downloading the right files which is why I ask to have you please write a link here so I can download the files you are saying will work, maybe I am doing it wrong, I admit to be dumb sometimes even when the rest of the time I'm not

somethings wrong with your ftp if it does that....it wont delete the contents..... :) anyone can put CO5 standalones over any previous build no worries.....some roms might have diff versions but it wont break anything

I dont release it so its not up to me....others release the final product.......the release will be discussed by them soon id say....I continue on with features and stuff

well, I just chatted with BP who was gracious enough to spend time talking me through my confusion and I see now the basic problem I am having. I am on a MAC, in OSX when you move a folder on top of an existing folder with the same name, it overwrites it and its contents. I had no idea that on a windows machine when you overwrite a folder, it actually takes into account what is INSIDE the folder and it will NOT delete anything if it does not have the same name

so this whole time it was my MAC that was screwing me up. now, that still does not address the ZERO K files BP has put in some standalone builds, I notice it in the hi-derf N64 games, where for some unknown reason here has put in zero k files and if you use those to overwrite you WILL overwrite your games but he told me those were placeholder but I think her should simply make a text file

anyway, all you windows users have no issue and I am out here flapping in the wind on my own. now I know to use a PC to deal with Coinops and nothing else... sheesh what a lesson, hard way to learn it too. I swear when i was talking to BP I thought my head would explode because neither of us knew the other was talking about two totally different operating systems lol... hahaha... it was crazy for a moment there

right away a notice should be put out there for any mac users dealign with coinops... shew, that was nuts haha

Edited by Mark Wolfe

Also, do you have a link to retroarch on xbox1? I can't find that either

If you're using a browser looking on the web for these things that's usually more hassle than it's worth.

You need to look in the "usual places" to find xbox emulators since day 1. :) Go to #Xbins on EFNET, then type !list for FTP info. Log into the ftp, then once in, navigate to /XBOX/Console Based Applications/apps/emulators/RetroArch/

I'd just upload it here but it's 4.77 megs which I guess is too big.

Edited by NE146