IGNORED

Atari Flashback 4 Review

You just have to click on the online shopping tab on the main page. I ordered a set of paddles from that.

Cool, thanks for the heads-up. $40 for the regular Flashback 4 is a great price, but just $10 more for the $20 paddles included is even better!

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

I'm curious... did you ever try a CX-10? Are the FB 3/4 sticks more similar CX-10 sticks instead of the more familiar CX-40?

Also, I just heard your comment about Front Line and Coleco's supposed "sabotage". Front Line is quite a gem in the 2600 library, IMO, and shows that some of the Coleco titles were pretty good.

Edited by shadow460

Thanks for the review, Bill.

You mentioned issues with emulation that purists wouldn't like. In your videos, things actually look pretty decent. What are the issues??

Yes, I made a point of mentioning that because for some people unless it's exactly like the real thing, they won't like it regardless of any other positive attributes it may have. I purposely didn't do a one-to-one comparison, but certainly some colors are a bit off, some sounds don't sound quite right, certain games run a bit faster or slower, and certain games don't flicker like they do on the real thing, etc. Its all minor unless you're sensitive to that kind of stuff or specifically looking for every difference. My main concern was how well everything played overall and was there anything that would cause an obvious annoyance. I didn't find anything, but again, not everyone will want to take the thing on its own.

• Like 1

The basic or standard edition of Atari's Flashback 4 by AtGames is now at Rite-Aid for $29.99!

As far as I know, the Flashback 4 isn't officially released yet. Our Rite-Aid has #3 though.

Like I said in my last reply that you just quoted above, it's an Atari Flashback 4 basic/standard edition by AtGames at a Fontana, SoCal Rite-Aid, they had about 9 for $29.99 each and 3 Atari Flashback 3s which cost $39.99!

Edited by TrekkiELO

• 4 weeks later...

Well, At Games have certainly lost a sale from me. I emailed them ages ago as I tried to order on their site but I could't as I'm in the UK. Never heard back. If that's the customer service before they get my money they can go screw themselves! I really wanted that poster set as well! :(

• Like 1

Just did a testing with a room full of retro gamers at a Labor Day party yesterday....

I just joined to thank you for the FB4 review. I was told by a girl at work that the Sega system lagged and broke contact with the IR controller. I had seen 3 positive reviews of the FB4 before I read your report. It also looks like there's a sound sync issue. I took your advice and got a FB2 (not FB2+) for $15.00 including shipping from eBay. It has all the games I was looking for. Later, I'll put in a cartridge slot. I also plan to get the PC joystick adapter.

Thanks again. You have saved me money and frustration.

I'm curious if these are showing up anywhere around here. Funny thing is I got an email from the AtGames Online Store (I pre-ordered through them) - just a mere 37 minutes ago - saying "We have received your order and are in the process of filling it; however, please note that this is for pre-order and the item will be released around late November. We will inform you as soon as the product is available for the shipment. Thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconvenience that this shipment arrangement may have caused."

Amazon says "This item will be released on November 13, 2012." They're taking pre-orders at 52.75. I believe it was at the "List price 59.99" when I checked a couple of weeks ago.

I'm in Oklahoma. There have been 4 sitting in my Dollar General for about a week. They're $40.00, but DG always has the $5.00 store coupon on the weekends.

Edited by androidlove