IGNORED

Need help extracting files from some Atari floppies

RoohBear

Hi everyone, I'm new here but have had my Atari 800 since I was a little kid in the 80's.

I've kept all my stuff all these years because I don't like throwing things away, plus I still have an app I wrote in 6502 assembly that started my career. I'm a full-time Software Engineer who's seen a fair bit of the world writing apps and utilities. One job led me to Microsoft in California where I believe I lived right across the street from where Atari was based. It's condo's now :-(

I'm wondering if someone can help me restore some files I have on some floppy disks. In particular, I need help recovering an app I wrote in MAC65. I don't remember how to use MAC65 and even if I did, it crashes a lot. When I try to run the app I wrote, I get an error that the disk is write protected but it's not. My 1050 has a switch I installed on it long ago that would let me copy disks, but it's broken now and I don't remember what exactly it does or how to use it.

Can someone make a cable for me so I can get the files off the floppies and into my Mac or PC? I'm in Toronto, Canada.

-greg-

Hi Greg,

Welcome back to the world of Atari. I myself returned for a short time around 2000 but then came back fully around 2007.

In answer to your question, I don't have the technical knowledge for the cable. However, it may be easier if you send your disks to somebody (probably in the US to keep the costs down) and then they transfer it across to the PC for you, then they send you the files electronically.

Steve

Hi everyone, I'm new here but have had my Atari 800 since I was a little kid in the 80's.

I've kept all my stuff all these years because I don't like throwing things away, plus I still have an app I wrote in 6502 assembly that started my career. I'm a full-time Software Engineer who's seen a fair bit of the world writing apps and utilities. One job led me to Microsoft in California where I believe I lived right across the street from where Atari was based. It's condo's now :-(

I'm wondering if someone can help me restore some files I have on some floppy disks. In particular, I need help recovering an app I wrote in MAC65. I don't remember how to use MAC65 and even if I did, it crashes a lot. When I try to run the app I wrote, I get an error that the disk is write protected but it's not. My 1050 has a switch I installed on it long ago that would let me copy disks, but it's broken now and I don't remember what exactly it does or how to use it.

Can someone make a cable for me so I can get the files off the floppies and into my Mac or PC? I'm in Toronto, Canada.

-greg-

The days of making a cable are pretty much over. Those days you could make a SIO2PC cable with a 1489 chip, a diode and of course the PC serial cable and Atari SIO cable. Do you have access to a computer with

a serial port? also called a RS232 port. Most people would need a USB to SIO device, like the one at Atarimax. I'm in Cleveland, Ohio and would transfer the disks for you, for the cost of postage to mail them back.

Edited by russg

-greg-

AAuser atari8warez is also located in Toronto and sells SIO2PC devices that work with AspeQT. He has also developed a USB version that auto-switches between SIO2PC and 1050-2PC modes: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/198121-sio2pc10502pc-dual-usb-ordering-information/

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! I'll probably hook up with Moonsweeper who lives very close, or mail my floppies to russg in Cleveland. I'll let you know what happens, and maybe even release the source code to my little app. Thanks!

hi, as BillC already mentioned, I live in Canada and I am in Toronto. I can make you a cable or copy your disks for you. Copying i can do without charge, juswt for the postage or even you can bring your disks if we are close enough. I am in East Scarborough (near the Toronto Zoo). PM me if interested.

Ray

To transfer files to a PC from an atari, I highly recommend SIO2PC/10502PC from atariwarez.

With it and either a program called APE or aspiqt, you can copy the files from those and any other atari disks to an atr image on your PC and further use them with an atari emulator on your PC.

I have did such myself even to the extent of building my own hardware interface.