IGNORED

GameCube to GBA Connectivity - Any worthwhile games?

Would really appreciate some feedback on this topic. I really had never thought about the connectivity that certain games offered between the GC and the GBA. But as I was tidying up my entertainment center last night and really giving my GC the space it deserves I noticed that the current game I'm playing during family game time (Billy Hatcher) has GBA connectivity. Now, I looked at what it was and it's really nothing to write home about. However, it got me to thinking what the best GC games are that do have some interesting connectivity attributes.

I don't have a GBA, however I do have the GameBoy Player. With the prices that I can by a GBA for, I'd definitely be willing to pick on up if it had some fun crossover functionality with the GC. Now that my oldest is old enough to take advantage of such things, I really think it has the potential to be a lot of fun!

So....what are the best games that take advantage of this connectivity? Not looking for what the best GBA games are though....just GameCube games that can be used with GBA. Anyone know of some fun ideas?

Also, if I were to get a GBA, should I be looking for the standard or the clamshell SP? Are there any functional difference, or is it primarily form factor?

the number one reason to buy it is Pac-Man VS

three players control the ghosts, using the tv screen and gamecube controller. they have a limited view of the playing field and must work together to get Pac-Man.

Pac-Man uses the GBA (and GBA screen, naturally) and can see the entire maze.

fun times.

three players control the ghosts, using the tv screen and gamecube controller. they have a limited view of the playing field and must work together to get Pac-Man.

fun times.

And I'll be looking into buying that right now. I over looked this option as I thought it was mostly crap, but that sounds like an amazing time.

fun times.

And I'll be looking into buying that right now. I over looked this option as I thought it was mostly crap, but that sounds like an amazing time.

Uh, me too -what versions of Pacman are we talking about, specifically?

I think this is the Pac Man that's being talked about. Even though the cover shot I attached shows only the Vs. game, I'm fairly sure that this game only came bundled on disc with another game (?).

This is great info. I actually do remember hearing about this game years ago now. Looks like I may actually have reason to grab it now.

Zelda Four Swords is another good one? What's the catch on that one, as far as what does GBA connectivity bring to the table?

Hah....in the end I may end up with a retro-Wii U!

post-6103-0-43258400-1346085709_thumb.jpg

Edited by Metal Ghost
  • Like 1

Pac-Man VS was originally just a free promo in a cardboard sleeve (pictured above) that came with something (which i don't remember). later, it came bundled with select copies of Pac-Man World 2 and a couple other Namco titles for the 'cube, included in the same GCN dvd-style case.

image stolen from web:

%24(KGrHqN,!qME-ZJGTJZIBPpGYUE2z!~~60_57.JPG

Pac-Man VS is based off the original arcade game but also has elements from XBL's Championship, even though VS is like 10 years older. it has it's own boards, some of which are death traps for Pac-Man.

at the end of each round, whoever has the highest score hands their controller to the person with the lowest score (everyone gets to be Pac-Man). 3 Wavebirds are suggested or you'll have tangled up wires in no time.

The Zelda game is another fantastic reason to own the link cable. Four different colored Links (green, red, blue, purple) have to cooperate to manuever dungeons while competing to get the most rupees.

oh and then there's the e-Reader...

Edited by bomberpunk

Zelda Four Swords is another good one? What's the catch on that one, as far as what does GBA connectivity bring to the table?

Four player cooperative play on the TV... assuming the other three players want to cooperate, and not just chuck you into lava repeatedly.

Main gameplay is on the TV, but your character moves to your GBA screen if you go into a building/dungeon alone, and your menus appear on your GBA screen so the main screen isn't cluttered. There may be more to it; I haven't played it in about ten years.

So if I have this correctly, with Pac Man Vs. only 1 GBA is required. With the Zelda game, would you need 4 GBAs?

Great insights everyone....keep it coming if there are other good titles I should be looking at! This is definitely functionality that I thought was cool back in the day, but without a GBA (I really don't mobile game) I wasn't going to go buy one just for this. Now that they are so inexpensive, and I know my girls would get a kick out of it, I'm really psyched about it!

fun times.

That sounds BADASS!!!!! Thanks for the info!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Linking with a GBA with Metroid Fusion in the cartridge slot unlocks the original Metroid on Metroid Prime. I think it also unlocks some content on Metroid Fusion as well.

Well, you don't need four players on Zelda, but yeah, a GBA (and cable) for each player.

Worth adding that that only applies for multiplayer.

If you're doing single player, the display window that would be sent to a GBA is just displayed on the television itself. No GBA required.

Oh, I almost forgot Phantasy Star Online for GC had a downloadable Nights minigame as well. You had to complete a special quest and then you could win a Nights item that let you download the game to your GBA. It wasn't connectivity as in "play the console game using the GBA" but it was still really cool.

I was reading last night about the Tingle functionality (wow, that sounds bad) that's activated via GBA in Wind Waker. I'm not sure if anyone here has used that or knows some specifics, but the person who was recounting it spoke very highly of it. I guess it allows for access to otherwise inacessible areas, you have easy access to a map at all times, etc. My daughter loved watching me play Twilight Princes. When I originally played Wind Waker she was just a baby, so I promised to play through it again for her to watch. Now I'm thinking that with the GBA connected it would even allow her to participate in a way as navigator perhaps?

connecting Prime to Fusion unlocks the NES game on Fusion.

connecting the Mario Golf games to each other unlocks the two kids from the GBA game as playable characters on GCN Toadstool Tour.

here's every compatible game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube%E2%80%93Game_Boy_Advance_link_cable

• 4 weeks later...

So last night me and the fam had our first taste of GC/GBA connectivity. Me and my wife, my oldest and a buddy of mine all played Pac Man Vs. It was great! My wife is not a big console gamer, and yet I think especially she had a blast! It was really just an overall good time, worked really well and can't wait to try it again. Now, if we can just finish up Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, me and my oldest may have to move onto Wind Waker in part just to try out the GBA connectivity (I played the game start to finish years ago, but by myself and without that functionality).