IGNORED

Modem Emulation

bbking67

I don't know about windows.. but on linux it's easy enough. The Atari800 emulator can do it. Check the rdevice_faq.txt and r_device.txt files in the DOC directory of the source code. Basically you need to enable support for the device using the configure script when you compile the code. Then you need to enable the R device in the emulator configuration as well.

I've even been able to connect to a BBS runnning on the Atari800 emulator using the R emulation and a couple other packages, a project named nullmodem, and another project name remserial. (it's not running, was just playing around, so can't connect). This was by the way on a $7.80/year virtual machine, or VPS as they call them. A debian OS with 50MB ram total.

Has anyone emulated the modem to the point where, using only software, I could use an 8-Bit Terminal program to access Atari BBS's via Telnet?

Are all the BBS's using hardware serial-to-ethernet converters?

I use this to do the exact same thing you want to do on a Windows system http://69.145.48.189:6502/InternetModem

Something about playing AArdwolf or other MUDS using my Atari or TRS-80 CoCo3 makes me feel all warm and nerdy

• 1 year later...

I don't know about windows.. but on linux it's easy enough. The Atari800 emulator can do it. Check the rdevice_faq.txt and r_device.txt files in the DOC directory of the source code. Basically you need to enable support for the device using the configure script when you compile the code. Then you need to enable the R device in the emulator configuration as well.

I've even been able to connect to a BBS runnning on the Atari800 emulator using the R emulation and a couple other packages, a project named nullmodem, and another project name remserial. (it's not running, was just playing around, so can't connect). This was by the way on a $7.80/year virtual machine, or VPS as they call them. A debian OS with 50MB ram total.

Charlie,

Can you describe how you configured remserial?

I have used different tools on my Mac to do something similar (basically tcpser + socat), and it worked, but there were a number of problems. So I'm wondering if remserial might work better.

--Josh

Well I never actually did anything with it, just saw played with it long enough to know that I probably could.

It's been a while, and I won't remember command lines. So get nullmodem working. You will have a couple virtual serial ports probably named /tmp/loop0 /tmp/loop1. One of them will be used by the emulator. In the Atari800 emulator r_device.c source (it may be named something different), you have to replace references to /dev/ttyS0 with /tmp/loop0, now like I said above, enable the configure script r device switches, recompile. So now one end of a virtual nullmodem is attached to the emulator. Then you basically redirect incoming telnet to the other end of the virtual nullmodem, /tmp/loop0.

The nullmodem project is here..

http://www.ant.uni-bremen.de/whomes/rinas/nullmodem/

I can't draw this stuff but I think of it like this..

Atari800Emu R Device /tmp/loop0 <---> Virtual Nullmodem <---> /tmp/loop1 <-----> remserial <----> Telnet