IGNORED

Colecovision HSC Rules & Regulations - Season 8

I normally run the seasons for around 24 rounds. My aim is to run the season for just under one year each and to then have around a months break over the summer while people holiday/vacation. So, I will likely terminate this season towards the end of July and restart beginning of September.

Let me know if you'd prefer a different approach and I can setup a poll to please the majority.

Sounds good i was just curious as to how long it lasts.

I prefer HSC's run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year...but then that's just me...

Well that actually isn't a problem for me. I may well just keep it running through the summer switching immediately from Season 6 to 7. I'll let everyone know for certain closer to the time.

I will go with whatever the majority decides...I just have a blast playing all these games in a lot of HSCs...some of these I would never even have looked at on my own...

Well that actually isn't a problem for me. I may well just keep it running through the summer switching immediately from Season 6 to 7. I'll let everyone know for certain closer to the time.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Starting with Season 7 I will track how many rounds each player beats the Twin Galaxies high score. The player who beats the Twin Galaxy scores the most times will win a free framed image of the artwork or flyer associated with a game of their choice (but has to be one of the games they beat the Twin Galaxies score in). The image would include some form of homage to the high score achieved for that game.

Printing, frame and postage will be at my expense.

Note that the only criteria for scores to be accepted is that a screenshot is compulsory to be counted as beating the Twin Galaxies high score.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I wonder if instead of basing the scores off of the 1st/highest score player, you instead used Percentile Rank rounded to the nearest 5%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentile_rank

This would still allow people with exceptionally high scores still can force opponents scores downward (though not as easily, because the ranks are based on all players scores not just the high score.), but would use a more common mathematical measure. The practical upshot of Percentile Rank is that the Median (middle score) is at the 50% percentile and everyone is ranked relative to them.

I think this makes more sense if you expect player high scores to resemble a bell curve.

I wonder if instead of basing the scores off of the 1st/highest score player, you instead used Percentile Rank rounded to the nearest 5%.

This would still allow people with exceptionally high scores still can force opponents scores downward (though not as easily, because the ranks are based on all players scores not just the high score.), but would use a more common mathematical measure. The practical upshot of Percentile Rank is that the Median (middle score) is at the 50% percentile and everyone is ranked relative to them.

I think this makes more sense if you expect player high scores to resemble a bell curve.

This being my first season moderating I would like to leave the scoring system as is. If a new scoring system is needed/wanted by several players it is something we can consider for next season.

I am doubtful that this would work well with the very limited number of players that play each round.