IGNORED

Wii vs. Gamecube

cimerians

Hmmmm...I've been going through my Gamecube games lately because I've been ripping them for use on a homebrew Wii and I'm beginning to realize how much funner some Nintendo games were on the GC for me...or maybe the sequels on the Wii just weren't good enough.

It seems I had more fun with Gamecube Nintendo games than Wii Nintendo games. (Except for Super Mario Galaxy which I think blows away Mario Sunshine)

These come to mind:

Paper Mario - better on the Gamecube and the N64!

Animal Crossing - in some ways better on the gamecube.

Mario Kart - this one is about equal in my opinion depending on the game just like AC.

Mario Baseball\Sluggers - had more fun with baseball on the gamecube.

Mario Party - definitely better games on the cube.

Zelda - preferred Twilight Princess on the Cube. Plus the Gamecube had so many re-releases of Zelda games.

Am I missing any?

Of course there are some cool Wii versions and sequels but I still like the older Smash Brothers and even the first Paper Mario on the N64 better than all of them.

:P

Is it a downward spiral I see or just a let down this time around until the Wii-U arrives?

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Animal Crossing on the GC much, much more than I did the Wii version. For me, collecting and playing NES games was awesome. Plus I thought the sea chanty's of Cap'n while going to your island via rowboat were more enjoyable than his dating tip's he gave to while on the bus.

At first, I thought that the GC version of Twilight Princess was much better.... it just felt more like Zelda. But once I got used to the Wii motions used within the game, I really like the Wii version better.

And I love the entire Fire Emblem series and the GC had a fantastic title. But the Wii version, Radiant Dawn, is still the best in series, IMO.

I really enjoyed the GC era and there were a lot of great games for it, like Pikmin and Luigi and the Resident Evils. But I think that I've had a lot more fun with the Wii and its exclusives, like Dawn of Discovery, Little Kings Story, Zak & Wiki, Red Steel, and so many more.

I think the Wii was a big step forward, at least as far as the games go. But then, I never regretted my purchase of either system.

Mendon

I unfortunately can't directly comment on the comparison. While I have a GameCube I've only had peripheral experience with the Wii while at my in-laws house.

I will say a couple of things though. First, I've really enjoyed the time I've gone back to play my GC games lately. It hadn't gotten much love since the spring when I was working my way through Eternal Darkness (I'm probably 3/4 through....I really need to finish!). But recently I've almost been splitting my time between GC and 360, and have been loving it. In short, I would never have any hesitation suggesting to someone that they get a GameCube if they were so inclined. The fact that GC games are playable on most Wiis is also a huge plus.

Second, I'm defiitely thankful that Ninty is supporting Wii compatibility on the Wii U. It is one of the primary reasons for me considering it's purchase anytime in the near future. There are a number of Wii games that I'd like to play. The list you mention above cimerians definitely piques my curiosity.....thanks for the list!

The list I mentioned I just felt were better for me on the GC.

I was mainly thinking about Nintento only games like Animal Crossing and Paper Mario. Both of which when released for the Wii were let downs to some degree for me.

With 3rd party games the Wii is obviously in much better shape. Much better.

Currently playing House of the Dead Overkill. Not for kids!

:P

Edited by cimerians

Depends on the game, for me. In general I'd take the GC library over the Wii library any day. In my opinion...

Paper Mario on the n64, and 1000 Year Door on the GC are two of my favorite games on the respective systems. Didn't even finish PM on the Wiii. I didn't like it at all.

I never bought Mario Kart on the Wii, but from what I did play I really enjoyed it. Double Dash never really clicked with me. Given the choice I'd take the Wii version.

Never played Twilight Princess on the GC, but I absolutely loved it on Wii. Based on what I know about the difference, it's hard for me to believe I'd like it much better, if at all.

I liked Mario Galaxy more than Sunshine, but that's not saying much. And at least I finished Sunshine...

Smash Brothers - online never worked for me on the Wii, so I got pretty frustrated after two weeks and sold it. Never played it on GC, but at least the advertised features worked...

3rd party support was MUCH better on the 'Cube, imho. Most 3rd parties put out pretty good versions of their top titles - everything from EA Sports games, to the Prince of Persia series, to Phantasy Star Online and other great Sega stuff, to oddballs like BMX XXX. 3rd party support on the Cube was a lot better than I think people give it credit for.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Paper Mario on the n64, and 1000 Year Door on the GC are two of my favorite games on the respective systems. Didn't even finish PM on the Wiii. I didn't like it at all.

My favorites too. The one glaring problem I had with the Wii version was the missing turn based battles and the constant shifting of perspectives just to find stuff.

3rd party support was MUCH better on the 'Cube, imho. Most 3rd parties put out pretty good versions of their top titles - everything from EA Sports games, to the Prince of Persia series, to Phantasy Star Online and other great Sega stuff, to oddballs like BMX XXX. 3rd party support on the Cube was a lot better than I think people give it credit for.

When I say 3rd party support on the Wii is much better....I really am excluding ports. Probably should have mentioned that. I see a lot of unique and cool 3rd party games on the Wii the Gamecube could only wish for. The gamecube had plenty of 'support' in terms of ports. It had equal power of an Xbox so why not? With the Wii its not that easy...its missing HD and the specs are shabby compared to an Xbox 360 so porting Batman Arkham Asylum isn't an option. In my opinion the Wii has much better 3rd party support in terms of unique and different games...probably thanks to its wand control revolution. :woozy:

Unlike some others on this thread, my experience has mostly been on the Wii rather than Gamecube. I prefer the Wii's controls and that gives it a definite edge in my opinion. There were also a lot of quality first party titles, though from what you folks are saying, that is also the case with the Gamecube. The only titles that I can directly compare are Mariokart and Sunshine/Galaxy. Double Dash is a lot of fun, but I never fully understood the "double" part. I am extremely partial to Galaxy over Sunshine in every way, I was totally blown away with it the first time I played it in Best Buy. That was actually why I got a Wii in the first place! Sunshine is actually a hard-as-nails shooter and I could never get the controls right.

One major advantage that the Gamecube has over it's successor is the Game Boy Player. The titles translate remarkably well with minimul loss of resolution. I loved playing Mario VS DK, Mario Advance, Advance Wars, Castlevania etc on the big screen.

The original Metroid Prime mops the floor with Corruption. Sure the Wiiquel brought us IR aiming, but the system was kinda floaty, and I kinda feel the single stick setup for Gamecube Prime worked very well for a game that was about exploration first and combat second.

I spent 3 hours playing Metroid Prime on my GC (analog, on my trusty 27" Trinitron) last night... and fell in love. Amazing engine (almost on par with IDTech 3 in a lot of ways), solid gameplay, killer presentation overall... the only issue for me is the lack of camera control/freedom (not sure how they left that out, there's hardly any use for the yellow analog stick which baffles me).

I've read that Nintendo crammed their heads up their asses when they ported MP to the Wii, by doing away with some specific Post Processing Effects for absolutely no reason. Effects like certain water splashes... can't remember the others.

I don't have any other games to list for the purposes of comparison.... but I think MP is a solid example. The Resident Evil series...?... did it really need to be ported to the Wii? Does anyone have RE 4 on the Wii? I read that it had some extra Campaign content, is that true?

I don't have any other games to list for the purposes of comparison.... but I think MP is a solid example. The Resident Evil series...?... did it really need to be ported to the Wii? Does anyone have RE 4 on the Wii? I read that it had some extra Campaign content, is that true?

RE 4 for the Wii included the PS2 extra's which is mainly the side Ada Wong mission.

I liked the Wii version better than any other cause I felt the wand shoot controls were better than a joystick but the only problem I had was keeping my arms up and pointed at the screen for over an hour. Ugh....

When it comes to solid Legend of Zelda support, no Nintendo system comes close to the GameCube. With the GameCube Player, every console Zelda game from the original NES Zelda to Twilight Princess and every portable Zelda from Link's Awakening to Minish Cap are playable on the GameCube. It's easier to name the Zelda games that can't be played on it: Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword. That's it, until the Wii U Zelda comes out.

Great Zelda support and Metroid Prime. GC greatness right there. Besides the point-of-view this is traditional Metroid all the way and it's damn near perfect. I have Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii and the Wii remote controls are nice, but I find that the GC controller feels more responsive. Plus, Prime Trilogy is missing the great title screen music of the first Prime, which is criminal.

I don't rate the GameCube any higher or lower than the Wii, but I did want to mention its two major strengths.

As far as weaknesses, it's gotta be Nintendo's flagship mascot. 3D Mario didn't click with me until Super Mario Galaxy. Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine felt like chores. I was never a big Mario Kart fan so I have no opinion there. SuperNES Mario Kart is about as much as I've gotten into that series.

RE 4 for the Wii included the PS2 extra's which is mainly the side Ada Wong mission.

I liked the Wii version better than any other cause I felt the wand shoot controls were better than a joystick but the only problem I had was keeping my arms up and pointed at the screen for over an hour. Ugh....

Crap, I figured the GC port was the best one... so I'm missing some Campaign... sheeet. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

NBA Live 2004 for GameCube is probably the best basketball game I ever played. It's real precise with the controls and a lot of fun. And it has LeBron (first year for him). He can dunk from beyond the free throw line. Newer NBA Lives have been somewhat broken in their controls, but I haven't played the ones from the last 2 years.

I play it on my Wii with GameCube controllers. I have it on PS2 too, but the GameCube is faster and has better controls, IMHO.

I have Super Mario Sunshine but only gave it a few minutes of play. I have Super Mario Galaxy and I was absolutely blown-away with the level design, the artwork, and the general quality of the title. I really like the Gamecube because of the Gameboy Player, etc, but the Wii has stronger titles, and I think that makes it a stronger console. I had dismissed the motion controls (although I don't like over-use) of them, but they work pretty well in some games. I'm about 6 years late, but I really have an appreciation for the Wii - particularly now that most titles can be picked up for (with smart shopping) $10-$15 each. I have a pile of 'em, and I'm still learning!!!!

but the Wii has stronger titles, and I think that makes it a stronger console.

Totally disagree on that.

A lot of GameCube games at the beginning made me say "holy shit!" I still remember popping in that launch STAR WARS title and being BLOWN AWAY. Same with RESIDENT EVIL.

With the Wii, I liked the idea of it and wanted to like the system, but more often than not, I hated the motion controls for games. Some worked great, but a lot were terrible for me.

The GameCube was competitive at the time, the Wii was not in terms of graphics and sounds. Even worse, a lot of developers whined about the Wii being GameCube 1.5 and then turned around and delivered a PS1 1.5 result on the thing. Not always ... there are exceptions that definitely show the Wii having more juice than the GameCube, but a lot of titles were shovelware that would have made my Dreamcast laugh its ass off.

I feel that the Gamecube is probably the most underrated console of all time so my opinion might be bit biased.

The Gamecube was more of a traditional console with power on par with its competition and it had a fairly traditional controller (in comparison to the Wii) so as a result it got better 3rd party support because it was much easier to port a PS2 game to the Cube (or vice versa) than it was to port a 360 game to the Wii including AAA games like Resident Evil 4 and Soul Calibur 2 and even a few original AAA 3rd party titles like Resident Evil Remake and that's the difference. That's not to say the Wii didn't have good 3rd party games like No More Heroes and the House of the Dead games but those were more niche games than mainstream ones. We can debate if Nintendo's Cube or Wii games are better but for the most part they are on par with each other. While there are some great games that use motion controllers like Wii Sports and No More Heroes and the Wiimote make light gun shooters viable again personally I'd rather use a traditional controller for most games (but to be fair many games have classic controller support).

Yes we can say that the Gamecube Player gives the Cube the edge but I can counter with the Virtual Console. Plus the older models of the Wii have BC with the Cube so you have the best of both worlds there.

• Like 1

Well, I agree with both of you, above. The Gamecube was ***DEFINITELY*** under-rated, kind of like the Dreamcast. The Wii may have been over-represented by virtue of its popularity, but it's a really good console. I measure that metric by the strength of its titles. I'm new to the console - to be sure. But I've been playing the following titles:

1) New Super Mario Bros Wii

2) Super Mario Galaxy

3) Super Mario Galaxy 2

4) Donkey Kong Country Returns

5) Wii Sports

6) Call of Duty Black Ops

Now, I know the first thing you're going to shit on is Black Ops, because it's not hi-def. Well, I don't own a hi-def console (soon!!!), so I wanted to try this game with the "Zapper" (a piece of plastic that holds the Wiimote and Nunchuck) and I can tell you it's excellent with that controller, but I'm not exactly a 1st-person shooter extraordinaire.

Otherwise, those titles I've mentioned are some pretty strong titles. I'm pretty much a fan of the Gamecube, so its virtues don't need to be extolled to me. But the games 6 games I mentioned above are (in MY opinion) extremely strong Wii titles. I also have several others that I have not tried, yet. I'm really new to the Wii, and I'm fairly impressed, so far, but at this late date, my expectations were [understandably] lowered. I've been using the Wii as a Netflix receiver for a few days now, and it is EXCELLENT as such. I don't have an Xbox 360 yet, so I can't compare.

Edited by wood_jl